Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R9000 Substantially slow Wi-fi, also slowing my internet

NtheLegend
Tutor

R9000 Substantially slow Wi-fi, also slowing my internet

Hi all,

I've been experiencing extremely slow internet the past few days. I tried a variety of SpeedTests and when I was able to connect to the test server, I was getting around 2Mbps when I'm supposed to be getting 40Mbps. I have my router plugged directly into my modem. I plugged my desktop directly into my modem with my router and was getting the same results: sketchy test server connections, then 1-2Mbps downloads. Through some troubleshooting, when I unplugged the Nighthawk from the modem and just had my computer directly connected, I started getting full bandwidth again through my wired connection. As soon as I plugged my router back in, the bandwidth collapsed back to 1-2Mbps down.

I went into my router and updated the firmware to the latest version (1.0.4.12), turned off the 60GHz radio, switched to Dynamic QoS, updated my QoS profile, but the router only sees me getting 2.67Mbps down. Is this a router issue or is CenturyLink throttling my third-party router out of nowhere?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
NtheLegend
Tutor

PROBLEM SOLVED.

A OneDrive backup was taking up all of our bandwidth. Apparently this is a big problem with persistent cloud backup programs like that and Drive, although I've never had issues with Drive or Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
NtheLegend
Tutor

I just downloaded and downgraded to 1.0.3.6 and reset to factory settings. I was getting my full 40Mbps speed over wireless across multiple devices for a full 10 minutes before it reverted to speeds even slower (<1Mbps). I'm downgrading even further to see if it works longer.

Message 2 of 6
NtheLegend
Tutor

PROBLEM SOLVED.

A OneDrive backup was taking up all of our bandwidth. Apparently this is a big problem with persistent cloud backup programs like that and Drive, although I've never had issues with Drive or Dropbox.

Message 3 of 6
rdtorr
Aspirant

I have been getting very slow connection speeds. AT&T came out yesterday and put in a new AT&T U-verse network box. Connected two desktop PCs via ethernet cables. Download speed 50.5 MBPS, Upload speed 5.18 Mbps. When we plugged in the Netgear Nighthawk R7000, (purchased in March, 2014), the speeds on the two PCs dropped by half. Have repeated the process, unplugged, rebooted computers, pluged back in, etc. etc. Same results. Any suggestions?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Message 5 of 6
myersw
Master

@DarrenM wrote:

You may want to try and factory reset the router you can back up your config if needed.

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

DarrenM

@DarrenM

Why would you suggest a restore from backup? That is just putting the problem configuration back on the router. Why not do a new configure after the reset?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7