Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R9000 Throttling bandwidth

antoinekinch
Tutor

R9000 Throttling bandwidth

I upgraded to firmware 1.0.5.36 and now all of my connections both wired and wireless are throttled to 90-100 Mbps. I bought 3 cable modems (CM2000, Arris S33, Arris 6190) to troubleshoot and had my isp (Spectrum) bring their own modem and router to test with. Result: Ethernet from the modems is all over 450Mbps to a laptop. From the router no speed tests over 100Mbps wired or wireless. At this point, I will have to buy another router unless Netgear issues a firmware update or can help.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

Did you try a simple factory reset? 

Or try downgrading the firmware a version? 

Message 2 of 15
antoinekinch
Tutor

Yes, I did a factory reset and no dice. I haven’t downgraded the firmware as of yet.
Message 3 of 15
antoinekinch
Tutor

I just downgraded the firmware to 1.0.5.28 and the speeds are still being throttled to under 100Mbps by the router somehow. Again, Ethernet from the modem is over 450Mbps down.
Message 4 of 15
plemans
Guru

what do your connections statistics show for port speeds? 

How do I display Internet port statistics on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 5 of 15
antoinekinch
Tutor

Can you see this?

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 4.44.01 PM.jpg

Message 6 of 15
plemans
Guru

if you click on "choose file" and add it that route, we can see it right away. otherwise a moderator has to approve it

Message 7 of 15
antoinekinch
Tutor

I uploaded the photo but I guess it takes a while. The WAN port is 100M Full, LAN 4 is 1000MFull, Lan 6 is 100M Full, and the 2.4, 5GHZ WLAN ports are active. I still do not understand why all of a sudden my speed is getting throttled.

Message 8 of 15
plemans
Guru

If your wan port is showing a 100mbps connection, its not connecting at gigabit speeds.

Try using a cat 6 (or better) cable between the modem and the router. 

Message 9 of 15
antoinekinch
Tutor

Right. I have tried different cables and connected my laptop directly to the modem. Why would the router all of a sudden start running at 100MFull instead of a GIG??? Also my LAN 6 port is running at 100MFull. How do you fix that? It can't be just the cables.

Message 10 of 15
plemans
Guru

@antoinekinch wrote:

Right. I have tried different cables and connected my laptop directly to the modem. Why would the router all of a sudden start running at 100MFull instead of a GIG???---it auto negotiates. A sketchy cable, dirty port, or even a bent pin in a port can cause it to operate at 10/100mbps speeds and not gigabit.  Also my LAN 6 port is running at 100MFull.----whats plugged into lan port 6? maybe its only a 10/100mbps device. Without knowing whats plugged in, tough to tell.  How do you fix that? It can't be just the cables.---maybe its the port. Take a look at the port to see if any pins are bent. 

Message 11 of 15
antoinekinch
Tutor

No bent pins. No dirty cable. No dirty port. I have tried 3 different Cat5e cables which are all fine. Netgear should be standing behind their product and helping to fix this not relying on the community. This is terribly frustrating.

Message 12 of 15
plemans
Guru

Are you within your warranty period? If so, start a support case. 

Not sure if a lan/wan port check will tell you connection through the stats page to see if good. 

WAN or LAN port not working | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 13 of 15

@antoinekinch wrote:
I just downgraded the firmware to 1.0.5.28 and the speeds are still being throttled to under 100Mbps by the router somehow.

Did you also reset after the "downgrade"?

I assume that you are also going through the tedious "network reboot" sequence;

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 14 of 15
antoinekinch
Tutor

Yes. At this point I have factory reset the router twice and downgraded the firmware and the WAN port is still negotiating at 100MBPS Full. I spent a couple hours with tech support going over all of this last night. Woke up this morning and the internet is down again. I’m typing this on my phone over LTE. The router is out of the one year warranty. Time to buy a new router.

Unfortunately I don’t think I’m going to buy another Netgear.
Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7