Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted

R9000 USB Drive Connection Issues

I went from a 6TB drive to a 10TB drive after the 6TB got full. Using the drive for Plex Media server built into the R9000. Don't think I had issues in the beginning with the 10TB. But now I have all sorts of issues, Cannot connect to drive sometimes, Cannot connect to some folders at all and some folders that will connect take like a minute or two to connect.  The movies I can access will play but then get choppy/blocky and screw up. Connecting the drive straight to the computer everything works perfect so it's something with the router.  I have updated the router to the latest firmware if that has something to do with it. The drive is WD 10TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBWLG0100HBK-NESN

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 24
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R9000 USB Drive Connection Issues

Is the hard drive powered or does it just use the power from the routers usb?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 24
Highlighted

The Hardrive is powered.  I read somewhere that the r9000 might not be compatible with large external HHD"s like 10TB.  Is that true? How could that be possible if true? How could there be a capacity limit? But my 6TB drive worked just fine when that was connected.

Message 3 of 24
Highlighted
Aspirant

What Firmware version are you on? I noticed issues withV1.0.5.8 and V1.0.5.14 Beta where folders wouln't load in Windows via SMB if they contained files larger than 2GB (I even went as far as to reformat the drive as NTFS and Ext4 and restore all my data). This was never a problem until those above firmwares.

I went back to firmware version v1.0.5.2 and normal data access resumed; I had access to all my files and fodlers.

So maybe revert to that firmware? Also I thought Netgear Raouters maxed out at 4TB- 10TB seems massive! Is it all one giant partition or is it two 5TB ones? I could see the R9000 panicing w/ multiple partitions. 

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 24
Highlighted

Good tip  Tyler818, I am on the latest Firmware.  I wonder if that is the issue.  I'm definately going to Try that and report back.

It is one partition, two folders TV Shows and Movies, I can get into the TV Shows folder, good luck ever trying to get into the Movies Folder, but maybe thats cause every movie is above 2gb.

Message 5 of 24
Highlighted
Aspirant

It looks like plucky Netgear engineers have already identified issues with the curry firmware and large files and have a Beta firmware that seems to have fixed the this other users similar issue. It looks like you can only get it via PM but could be worth it if you don't want to go backwards:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-X10-R9000-since-FW-update-1-0-5-8-...
Message 6 of 24
Highlighted

Awesome, hope this works. Do you have it? can you PM me for it or do I need to PM someone else?

Message 7 of 24
Highlighted

DarrenM how do we get this Firmware beta update, it's been too long that this router hasn't been working.

Message 8 of 24
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello DFnighthawkx10

Check your PMs ChristianR should be sending it to you.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 9 of 24
Highlighted

Thank you! hope this fixes the issue.

Message 10 of 24
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello @DarrenM  would I be able to request this Beta firwmare as well via PM. I was using v1.0.5.2 but it has been erasing my VLAN information every so often. That issue seems to be fixed by upgrading to v1.0.5.14 (hotfix) but the ReadySHARE issue with files over 2GB is very present in that version.

Thank you very much for being so forthcoming about a good fix it is very apperciated. 

Message 11 of 24
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Yea look for a Pm from ChristianR.

DarrenM

Message 12 of 24
Highlighted

Okay the beta seemed to work, then all of a sudden stopped working again.  Let me give it more time to test and report back.

Message 13 of 24
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello, I would also like to try the beta.  I did notice that when viewing my readyshare folder the files I am unable to access with the 1.0.5.8 update have parentheses around the file size.

Craig

Message 14 of 24
Highlighted

Well I've been running the 1.0.5.8 Beta for a while and I can say that it still doesn't work.  Very disapointed.  Very unstable, cannot connect to folders on drive.  Plex media player works now though, well as long as you don't rewind or fast forward a movie then it locks up.  Is there possibly a newer beta that works, cause 1.0.5.8 apparently doesn't.

Message 15 of 24
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue! I have a 6TB hard drive. It's so annoying to have to disconnect the drive from the router to transfer files. Sigh

Message 16 of 24
Highlighted
Aspirant

Do you mind to send this to me also?  =)

Message 17 of 24
Highlighted

Yeah this is pretty rubbish for how much we spent on this router.

Message 18 of 24
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello, i'm new here but i'm having these exact same usb storage issues. I tested everything and i'm 100% sure that writing to my router usb drive (4TB WD) is being corrupted.  No problems at all if I plug directly into my windows PC.  May I have the link to whatever firmware will fix this issue please?

Message 19 of 24
Highlighted

Their is no firmware that fixes this.  I used their Beta firware and it still didn't fix it.  It's redicilous that we spent this much on a router and Netgear can care less about fixing this issue for there customers.

Message 20 of 24
Highlighted
Aspirant

I since went back to firmware v1.0.5.2, and everything is back to normal (for all the functions that I use at least).  If anyone out there uses this router for Plex, or any kind of NAS video storage DO NOT use any firmware except v1.0.5.2, until they specifically address this fix in a future firmware update which hopefully comes sooner than later. 

Message 21 of 24
Highlighted

Thanks johnny_doe1,

I'm going to give this a try and see if it works, I have 10GB external HD's hooked up.  I think the size is an issue with the firmwares, what size HD's are you using?

Message 22 of 24
Highlighted
Aspirant

4TB
Message 23 of 24
Highlighted
Aspirant

4TB
Message 24 of 24