R9000 Wireless speed

Lexist2112
Luminary

R9000 Wireless speed

All,

Just bought the Netgear R9000 and on initial testing with the latest FW installed 1.0.1.20. The router functions nicely , however I noticed that the wireless speeds are greatly reduced by compariosn to my Asus RT AC5300. Asus download is around 80mbps and the Netgear is 20-25 mbps. I'm assuming since Netgear is using a new chipset that the new wifi drivers still need to optomize. I'm hoping the manufacture has given them a complete set of wifi drivers to tweak.

Message 1 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Re: R9000 Wireless speed

Hi Lexist2112,

1. Are the wireless devices connected to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

2. Please provide comparison of 2.4Ghz download speed adn 5Ghz download speed?

3. Try changing channels for both bands.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 2 of 5
Lexist2112
Luminary

Thanks for the reply.

Initially when I had configured the R9000, I had unchecked WMM on both the 2.4 and 5ghz channel. I did that because in the past, when i owned the R7000 and R8000,  WMM and beamforming would cause such a degradation in wireless speed, it was intolerable.

Will once I re-enabled, WMM on both 2.4 & 5ghz, speeds were incredible!!!!!  WMM, Beamforming and MU-MIMO are all enabled at I'm pleased to say that there playing nice with all my devices..so far.

I just have one small issue, and that is with my iPhone 7 on the ATT network. I have Wifi calling enabled on the iPhone and when I'm talking the call wither drops or goes mute, then drops. I have disabled IGMP and SIP ALG in the WAN setup for now. From what I've read they can disrupt VOIP calls. Thoughts????

Thank you

Message 3 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi Lexist2112,

Is the iPhone7 connected to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz when using the wifi calling? Try changing channels of both networks.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 4 of 5
Lexist2112
Luminary

iPhone7 connected to 5ghz. I will try different channels on both 2.4 and 5ghz and report back.

Another issue came up yesterday. The wireless was working at full speed and then yesterday, the wireless just degraded badly. I powered off the R9000 for 15secs and repowered the unit. The wireless speed came back to it's original speed. I'm hoping it was just an anomaly. Once again, i will monitor the wireless and report back and see if it is stable in the next 4 days or so.

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E