R9000 (X10) Model & Amazon Drive Cloud Backup

Adewale
Luminary

R9000 (X10) Model & Amazon Drive Cloud Backup

Does anyone know how much bandwidth the amazon cloud backup takes up when its set active on the X10?

I have a slow (by today's standard) internet provision from my ISP <5Mbps (up/down). the set up is a wireless broadband and i have a modem/router combo from the ISP. i have diasbled the router function of the ISP box so all wireless activities will come from the R9000. i have also set the R9000's IP as a DMZ on the ISP's box

i have set up the amazon cloud drive on the R9000 and i am almost always unable to do the most basic things. pages don't load by default and eventually load after more than 10 secs, youtube, netflix etc are a pain to get up and running

I am wondering if the R9000 is using all the available bandwidth to support the cloud back up. i am thinking of disabling the amazon cloud backup to see if that improves the throughput but thought to put this out here in case anyone has experienced the same issues

Need help with this urgently...i am on the verge of giving up on this router

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
LeeH
Prodigy

Re: R9000 (X10) Model & Amazon Drive Cloud Backup

How much bandwidth do you have coming into the house?  What version of firmware are you running?  Did you do a good long reset at least until the power light turned orange and started to blink?  Have you tried running with defaults then make your configuration changes one at a time until your network slows down?

Message 2 of 12
Adewale
Luminary

• Running the latest firmware.1.0.36
  • Bandwidth into the house is less than 5Mbps (up/down) closer to 2-3Mbps down, 1-2Mbps up
  • yes, i did reset the router after that firmware update and i dont mind doing another reset
  • Will try and start afresh and make changes one at a time until i observe the slow down
Message 3 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It seems that you have fair slow connection to the Internet. 

You may have to consider upgrading the speed if you need Internet and backup to work at the same time. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 12
Adewale
Luminary

a flagship router like this should be able to handle anything thrown at it to be a worldwide success

R9000 is currently lacking the standard QoS features found on many Netgear and other brand name routers. this router already has the hardware required to handle things bettter and just requires Netgear to take the time to upgrade the firmware

for a pioneer like R9000 (router+Plex+cloud in one box), Netgear is not doing enough fast enough to work out the kinks 

Message 5 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The QoS is still in the works.

Plex with NAS is in beta test right now. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 12
clithes
Prodigy

You can schedule the Amazon Cloud backup to only back up at a certain time.  Therefore you could have it back up at a time when you are not trying to use the internet (in the middle of the night maybe?)

Modem: Vigor 130 | Routers: R7800, R8500 & R9000 | ISP : Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
Powerline: PLP1200x4 PL1200x6 | WiFi Extenders: PLW1000 & XWN5001
Switches: GS105Ex2, GS105Ev2, GS108Ev2, GS305
Message 7 of 12
LeeH
Prodigy

Recommend you don't even attempt to use Amazon Cloud with 5Mbps internet speed.  Please invest in a faster Internet speed or purchase a multi-disk NAS that supports RAID 5.

Message 8 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Hi,

@Adewale wrote:

a flagship router like this should be able to handle anything thrown at it to be a worldwide success

Considering the leading edge hardware with high end 2.4 and 5 GHz WLAN, 60 GHz WiGig, the 10 GbE SFP+ port, the ability to set-up a 802.3ad trunk on two GbE switch ports  ... it works impressively - however, I agree, there is (a lot) of room to improve.

@Adewale wrote:

R9000 is currently lacking the standard QoS features found on many Netgear and other brand name routers....

QoS capability is in the pipeline - in fact it already exists on a firmware build I've received from Taiwan for soeme special troubleshooting. It's clear that these QoS capabilities can bring some relief, still ... it won't make a 5/2 Mbit/s (or effective 3/1 Mbit/s) fly Mach 3.5. However, when it comes to the Amazon Drive, to the NETGEAR Downloader App, and then Plex - there is still a lot of room for the integration with the QoS, with Attached Device and Application view. I would not wonder if Amazon Drive sync a multi-TB of locally connected HDD/SDD storage, and/or the Plex streaming to mobile devices on the Internet would not be able to completely flood the uplink (typically much slower than the downlink), rendring any other Internet activity to a stop - simply because of ACK wont get through within reasonable time, DNS queries would fail, http(s) requests would fail, email won't be sent or listed/downloaded anymore. And I've not talked of maintaining a good Youtube or Netflix stream at the same time.

@Adewale wrote:
for a pioneer like R9000 (router+Plex+cloud in one box), Netgear is not doing enough fast enough to work out the kinks 

Yes - it's a longer way to go.

Message 9 of 12
Adewale
Luminary

@clithes wrote:

You can schedule the Amazon Cloud backup to only back up at a certain time.  Therefore you could have it back up at a time when you are not trying to use the internet (in the middle of the night maybe?)

Unfortunately, the current scheduling implementation on the R9000 is suboptimal. it has a start time and no end time...which means, at the set time, the router checks my drive and amazon cloud for differences and starts backing up but wont know when to stop...if i had a fast >20Mbps uplink, maybe the upload could finish before i wake up and have need for bandwidth on other devices if the back up size is a few 100MBs of data but i dont

as it currently is, the R9000 Amazon cloud back up scheduling is a dud  

Message 10 of 12
Adewale
Luminary

@LeeH wrote:

Recommend you don't even attempt to use Amazon Cloud with 5Mbps internet speed.  

A pricey flagship router like this should be able to do better and manage the use of whatever bandwidth is available better

@LeeH wrote:

Please invest in a faster Internet speed.

I'd be happy to if faster internet service was available ...did it occur to you that faster internet speed might not be available for me to invest in?

Message 11 of 12
schumaku
Guru

In an email exchange with Netgear ref. R9000 (X10) Amazon Drive, Amazon Drive QoS coverage, the ability to schedule a service window (on/off, or low and high - similar to Transmision), and bandwidth restrictions I was replied:

"It’s not optimized to fulfil people’s desired cloud backup but we do have the plan to improve it timely"

Looking forward...

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E