Apprentice

R9000 X10 Nighthowk Firmware Version 1.0.5.8 :-( Ready SHARE problem

New firmware and again new problems. This is my last NeatGear router!

Problems from the begining of my story with NetGear R9000!

Now after installing new version of firmware R9000 X10 Version 1.0.5.8 I have the problem with shared HDD connected to R9000 USB port and shared them by ReadyShare function(!) Disk is accessible I see HDD, but access to them is very very slow. I can see main catalogs on disk but when I try to go in my catalog with many multimedia files (about 200 files in catalogs), then I'm waiting and waiting to see the list of files and is nothing....:-(

After downgrade to version 1.0.5.2 everytging goes back and is fine.

When NetGear will finally start preparing good firmware ?!!!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 84
Apprentice

Re: R9000 X10 Nighthowk Firmware Version 1.0.5.8 :-( Ready SHARE problem

Same here, once again ReadyShare is completely messed up after the upgrade. Connected hard drives do not work, and MacOS can no longer connect to the network drive. 

Complete disgrace.

Message 2 of 84
Apprentice

Exactly! The American company does not keep any standards, and they are surprised that Chinese is better...and impose sanctions ...

Well done Netgear! The goblet of bitterness is poured out!

Message 3 of 84

Do Not Update your router with this firmware.

Readyshare is a complete mess and won't work and the router no longer recognizes any HDDs plugged into the USB ports.

I went back to the previous firmware which worked better. Netgear and Readyshare and updates are a continuing nightmare, I've always had issues with all three Nighthawk routers that I've used as media servers with HDDs.

Also this new firmware will prevent you from changing the region in the settings.

Message 4 of 84
Apprentice

In my opinion it is generally problem with ReadySHARE by network - for example 2-3 threads parallel on bittorrent with saving on hdd connected to Netgear R900 giving message "network problem"!

GRRRRRRR!!! Netgear it's shame!

Message 5 of 84
Apprentice

Performed a factory reset of 1.0.5.8, and it still didn't work. Media files couldn't be played from the attached hard drive, accessing the file structure was very slow and adding avpassword for write access made things even worse. 

Downgraded back to 1.0.5.2, everything is fine again. 

Netgear is a disgrace. 

Message 6 of 84
Prodigy

I really do not think that routers, Netgear or anyone else really are a good solution for storing files. Making it work like a NAS. I played with that for a period of time until I decided the only real way to do this with a good solid solution was to get an external standalone NAS. Yes costs more, but the solution will just work especially if trying to do things like bittorrent. Also mine has mirrored drives so that if a drive fails I have not lost everything. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 7 of 84
Apprentice

I didn't write that I'm using NetSrap as NAS!

Contrary! Looking at the unbelievability of this solution, I would never decide to use NetGear to store important data! Never! I have a dedicated NAS for this (fortunately it's not NetGear)!

I have temporary multimedia files on a disk connected to the R900 and that's why I paid almost €500 for that to make it work and not look on R9000's antenas and design!

No more Netgear!

Message 8 of 84
Tutor

Rif.: R9000 X10 Nighthowk Firmware Version 1.0.5.8 :-( Ready SHARE problem

Same problem for me too. I can only access folder with <4GB files inside. Rollback to 1.0.5.2

Message 9 of 84
Apprentice

Rif.: R9000 X10 Nighthowk Firmware Version 1.0.5.8 :-( Ready SHARE problem

We can say again - BRAVO NETGEAR!

Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 84
Guru

@BernardLVH wrote:

Readyshare is a complete mess and won't work and the router no longer recognizes any HDDs plugged into the USB ports.

Everything we had plugged on it before does continue to work for me. So there might be more than just "any", both NTFS or exFAT (yeah!). A known issue for volumes not becoming visible (or mounted) are unhealthy file systems.

What I'm struggling here (also before, and before, ....) using Windows 10 or MacOS is the ability to access shared folders protected with the admin account and the R9000 admin password....unauthenticated access to other shared folders seems to be fine.

@BernardLVH wrote:

Also this new firmware will prevent you from changing the region in the settings.

Have just changed the region from Europe to Israel to Australia and again to Europe - works like a charm.

@Ra-Dzik wrote:

In my opinion it is generally problem with ReadySHARE by network - for example 2-3 threads parallel on bittorrent with saving on hdd connected to Netgear R900 giving message "network problem"!

BT can be extremely I/O and processing intensive, and when paired with some 2.5" desktop devices it's becoming even worse. Even good NAS will hit performance issues (or kind of a home made DoS) when attempting to run BT on a network shared folder location.

Message 11 of 84
Apprentice

As I see on the page there is new version of firmware - 1.0.5.12 - Hot Fix.

Description is very laconic:

Security Fixes:

PSV-2020-0105

Is here somebody brave to install it :-) ?!

Message 12 of 84
Guru

@Ra-Dzik wrote:

Description is very laconic:

Security Fixes:

PSV-2020-0105

There it is -> Security Advisory for Signed TLS Certificate Private Key Disclosure on Some Routers, PSV-2020-0105 

Message 13 of 84
Apprentice

Did you test that? Is the problem with ReadyShare resolved?

Message 14 of 84
Guru

@Ra-Dzik wrote:

Did you test that?

Now we got the same crappy self-signed certificate on the R9000 …. and the people in charge STILL do not understand anything. Not that a new self-signed certificate is generated so each router does have a unique private key and certificate …. the crap is still part of the firmware image. Essentially at least all R9000 with this firmware has the same ... so almost nothing fixed. Instead, a big step back.

Just for the records and as a reminder for Netgear: I've reported the problem with the shared private key and certificate many times in the community over the year. Should they intend paying some bug bounties - it goes on the old men here. @Christian_R  @ChristineT your business. 

@Ra-Dzik wrote:

Is the problem with ReadyShare resolved?

No word of this in the notes ... no time for that right now, sorry.

Message 15 of 84
Apprentice

You scared me. It only confirms my mistake that I bought NetGear router :-(

Message 16 of 84
Guru

@Ra-Dzik wrote:

You scared me. It only confirms my mistake that I bought NetGear router :-(

Wrong idea. It was nice for the home users that the routerlogin.net et all certificates were correctly signed. Its a connection that happens on the local [W]LAN - so an environment which can be considered reasonably secure. SOme "security researchers" made up a lot of noise, and Netgear does roll back to a stupid self-signed certificate only.

And there is still no option to generate a CSR, to generate a self-signed certificate, to upload a properly signed certificate for the own URL (and domain). A big step back.

Message 17 of 84
Tutor

Does NetGear Support even monitor these threads? 

They released a hotfix due to a security vulnerability but it is a BETA release.   The 1.0.5.12 hot fix does not fix the ReadyShare issue, thus i can not use it.    I assume this group and more are in the same boat.  

has anyone been able to determine a fix?    I came across some opensource versions of the firmware from Voxel and KONG.   

Message 18 of 84
NETGEAR Moderator

Netgear is aware of the issues with Readyshare and is working to fix them. You will need to use a previous firmware in order to use this feature properly until we can release a fix.

DarrenM

Message 19 of 84

I live in China and after the update most definitely can not change the region. Reinstalled the previous firmware and definitely CAN change the region.

After reinstalling the previous firmware everything works like a charm again.

Message 20 of 84
Initiate

I recently upgraded my X10 R9000 from firmware version 1.0.5.2 to 1.0.5.8.  After the upgrade I was no longer able to access some directories on my R9000 connected external USB hard drives.  At first I thought it was a problem with the external drive.  But, tested it and even swapped drives and the exact same issue.  So, I decided to try the beta Hotfix upgrade firmware to version 1.0.5.12.  This made no difference and I was still unable to access certain directories on the connected drives.  I then connected them directly to my desktop computer and there was no problem: I was able to access them 100% normally.  So, this definitely is a problem with the router firmware as it relates to accessing connected drives and readyshare.  Finally, I rolled the firmware back to 1.0.5.2 and was able to access all directories on the USB connected drives.  So, there is definitely a problem with firmware 1.0.5.8 and the 1.0.5.12 - Hot Fix... DO NOT UPGRADE TO EITHER OF THESE IF YOU HAVE CONNECTED DRIVES that you want to access (e.g., using readyshare).

I attemtped to contact Netgear but was told I would have to pay since I purchased the router in 2018 and no longer eligable for support unless I pay.  I am NOT paying to inform them of their own bugs with the latest firmware.  But, I am seriously considering a different company for my next router.

If anyone has run into this issue and has found a fix, please let us know.  Otherwise, I will stay with 1.0.5.2 since it works for connected USB drives.

Message 21 of 84
Tutor

Yes many of us have experienced the same.  Here is what the moderator told me.

Netgear is aware of the issues with Readyshare and is working to fix them. You will need to use a previous firmware in order to use this feature properly until we can release a fix.

Message 22 of 84
Initiate

Thanks for the reply.  It's a shame the router interface does not give a warning when it flashes up "! A new firmware upgrade is available. Click here to get it.able."   It should also state known issues such as "Accessing external-connected drives may no longer work properly with this update."   That known issue is not even listed on the web page for support with the router and firmware updates!!!   And, they want me to pay to call them for support when it's their own issue?   Perhaps Netgear should test their firmware a better before releasing something that breaks a feature of the router.  But, instead, many of us waste our time trying to figure out what's wrong since they don't seem to perform thorough testing prior to release Smiley Sad  
Thanks again.

Message 23 of 84
Apprentice

Hi,

someone tested version 1.0.5.12 in the context of ReadyShare problems? The problem has been fixed?

Message 24 of 84
Apprentice

Juppi!

After all those problems with Netgear R900, a new TP-Link AX11000 test router is coming to me :-)

If it works, I will not hesitate to replace it with Netgear R9000!

Message 25 of 84
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements