Apprentice

Re: R9000 X10 Nighthowk Firmware Version 1.0.5.8 :-( Ready SHARE problem

I have another thread I opened on this, when this untested firmware was released to us 

I have had issues with a firmware level where it cripled plex, then after 1.5 months they fixed that only to create another firmware, with security issues then netgear puts out 1.0.5.8 which breaks ready share. 

I personelly am getting tired of hearing Netgear is aware of the issues with Readyshare and is working to fix them.  I am a retired software engineer and when someone had issues with a software of my creation it was priorty that I got it taken care of in a short time or I would not keep my Job .

Netgear may think these are just toys for us but I depend on mine, Veeam uses a drive connected to the R9000 for backups of my virtual farm

Some may not relize there is a issue also in 1.0.5.2 you can not use more then one drive even though there is 2 usb ports If you connect another drive it will break readyshare too.

In the time I have had the R9000 purchaced July 9, 2019 I have not had a fully functional router

This is unacceptable 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 26 of 84

Readyshare has almost never worked correctly on all three of my Netgear routers. 

It usually tells me there are no hard drives installed. There are of course. 

It refuses to shut down and requires a forced shut down.

And after all these updates over many years they have never been able to fix it once and for all.

Quite hopeless actually.

Message 27 of 84
Apprentice

Well I can run it on one usb port but not 2 and you are correct about trying to sut it down

There are so many bugs in this routers firmware I just cant beleave the software developers at netgear test there stuff AND this is a gateway to all your personal info  

Message 28 of 84
Guide

Exactly same issue! Upgraded to V. 1.0.5.8 - Ready SHARE got completely messed up (see attached screenshot). Downgraded to V. 1.0.5.2 - works again!

Message 29 of 84
Apprentice

Hello,

few posts ago I wrote you that I'm waiting for TP-Link AX11000 router for tests. Here I would like to share with you my opinion and experiences about that.

Here you can find my post:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/193646?page=1

And here copy of that:

"

My English is not very well but I would like to give you my opinion after a few days of testing the premium AX1100 router. Since I've been very disappointed with Netgear support and errors in subsequent firmware versions of Netgear R9000 router, I'm looking for a premium alternative.

If you have a good experience with a good router that you recommend, I will gladly use your recommendations.

My evaluation may not be objective and refers to the competitive Netgear R9000 router. Please note that I tested AX11000 on the latest firmware version.

PROS

+ Very positive surprise at unboxing - very nice set.

+ Robust performance/implementation.

+ Very fast. Editing, setting and saving(!) operations are VERY fast.

+ Very good range +10dB compared to NetGear R9000.

+ 2.5 Gb/s WAN port.

+ Port aggregation (R9000 also has). I haven't tested it.

CONS

- Trashy look&feel, but I don't like to discuss my tastes.

- Fixed antennas - I can't hang the router vertically and tilt the antennas towards where I work most often and need the strongest signal. That's cool with the R9000.

- Trashy interface - I didn't like it (too much red color).

- Responsive interface on mobile Firefox does not work well.

- Problems with sharing HDDs via USB. This option does not work and cannot be selected.

- HDD share password does not accept special characters (only small and CAPITAL letters)(!) Security(!)

- Administrator password is not stored in Firefox browser.

- You cannot edit the device or its MAC of the added device on the access list.

- You cannot sort the access list.

- For example, you cannot set the device icon to access list.

- Problems with adding an automatic device to while list. Does not detect all devices. Problems also in the mobile browser.

- Only general QoS configuration, no advanced features such as QoS per device.

- Price of the device.

Summary:

1. If you want to cover your family house with WiFi coverage without using the inventions of mesh, extenders and other unnecessary additional devices - I recommend.

2. If you are a “Gadget-man” and the router is visible (not my) and you want to show your friends the equipment for 500€ - I recommend.

3) If you're annoyed by the flaws in the configuration interface - I don't recommend it.

4. If you are an advanced user - I do not recommend it.

Remember that this is only my subjective opinion.

"

Message 30 of 84
Tutor

thanks for sharing your research

Message 31 of 84
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Nighthawk Community, 

We currently have a beta firmware available for those still experiencing issues with the ReadyShare feature. If you're interested, please send me a private message with your serial number. 

Regards,

Christian

Message 32 of 84
Apprentice

Oooo hooo hooo hooo hooo hooo - The question is rather who will be so BRAVE to test the new version of the firmware (based on the previous experience with Netgear?!) to be sure thet something else will not break?!!

Congratulations! And it's still limited - "send me information on priv".

Is Netgear making jokes, or is it some kind of deliberate action, so as not to compromise further?!

Message 33 of 84
Guide

Hi Nighthawk Community,  

We currently have a beta firmware available for those still experiencing issues with the ReadyShare feature. If you're interested, please send me a private message with your serial number. 

Regards,
Christian

Hi Cristian,

Two questions:

1. Why hasn't Netgear pulled bad version 1.0.5.8, knowing that it is buggy and causing issues? It is still available, and Netgear app is prompting me to "upgrade".

2. When is a GA version of firmware going to be available? Not taking my chances with a beta, sorry...

Message 34 of 84
Apprentice

I am currently testing the beta firmware (v1.0.5.15) and I will report back after a few days of use.

The QoS issues (see different thread) appear to be resolved with this firmware, however after just a few minutes of testing ReadyShare there may still be some issues. Initial obserations:

1) The use of admin credentials for write access appears to be fixed. 

2) Transfer speeds appear to be extremely slow still (about 20% speed compared to v1.0.5.2).

3) Media files now play again when accessed through ReadyShare (MacOS).

4) The way I have to access my files in Finder (MacOS) is still different than v1.0.5.2. Where as I used to just click on R9000 under Locations (MacOS) to view and access the server folder(s), now they don't show up. However, a new READYSHARE location appears instead (as a virtual disk), and the folder(s) are there. I don't know if this is by design or not, but I'm not sure it is welcome, and it may be the reason everything is so slow.

I'll report back soon.

Message 35 of 84
Aspirant

Yah same ReadyShare inaccessability problems with 1.0.5.12 hot fix

Message 36 of 84
Apprentice

Dear Netgear! Shame again!!!

Congratulation!!! (again!)

Message 37 of 84
Guide

I noticed the issue because using a Windows 7 machine, some of my files showed negative file size (stack overflow). Which tells me that the new firmware was probably compiled with 32 bit instead of 64 bit.  32 bit only handles file sizes up to around 2GB.  Larger files would cause a stack overflow and thereby negative file sizes. So Netgear, check your compiling to see if you have 32 bit or 64 bit set.Firmware Update 1.0.5.2 Corrupted my File Sizes on the USB drive

See my post:

Firmware Update 1.0.5.2 Corrupted my File Sizes on the USB drive

Message 38 of 84
Tutor

Thanks for testing this for Netgear.  Why they dont have their own QA department test, is beyond me. 

We have been really clear with the issue with the firmware.  

So what i have gathered is the following firmware versions continue to have ReadyShare issues - 

1.0.5.15 beta

Message 39 of 84
Apprentice

I also have been testing the 1.0.5.15 and I again reverted back to 1.0.5.2 firmware 

1.0.5.15 was giving me issues with my backups failing to the ready share drive (permission issues)

I have temporarly stopped using plex to record my local networks and moved them over to my other OTA box which runs into 

sling tv 

I do have production servers that run behind Netgear routers in VM's, I have 2 completly different networks running thru 

2 Netger routers 2 public Ip's and a netgear managed switch so I cant break it but if new beta comes I will test it 

I keep backups, backups and more backups 

I was still unable to use both USB ports (2 different drives) that issue has exsited even in 1.0.5.2

My concern here is as I do use the Plex Server that a plex update will have a issue with 1.0.5.2 at some point

R9000

WNDR4500

GS724T   

Message 40 of 84
Guru

@spd2612 wrote:

I also have been testing the 1.0.5.15 and I again reverted back to 1.0.5.2 firmware 

1.0.5.15 was giving me issues with my backups failing to the ready share drive (permission issues)

Only the non-authenticated access works for me - shared folders requiring admin and the admin-password run into a share level permission issue, too.

@spd2612 wrote:

I was still unable to use both USB ports (2 different drives) that issue has exsited even in 1.0.5.2

The non-authenticated ("guest") access works for me basically on both connected drives.

So @Altsai what's up with Netgear?

Message 41 of 84

I didn’t know anything about these issues three days ago and downloaded the new update. After unsuccessful trying to access my 8TB hard drive and calling the GeekSquad and having them remote connect to try and fix the problem and still nothing. That is when I went to these forums and saw the issues with the ready share and someone stated that you can’t plug more then one device because it would not work and that sucks because I was thinking about adding another 8TB. I just called Netgear customer service to see when they were going to have a fix for this and they said they know about it and are working on it. To me it’s a slap in the face to the customer who spent a lot of money on this router to have to deal with software issues.

Message 42 of 84
Apprentice

Lesson #1: Never buy Netgear router and devices.
Lesson #2: If you have a warranty, return the router to the store immediately, claiming that the goods do not comply with the contract.
Lesson #3: Never install the latest firmware and updates.
Lesson #4: I you have important data on your drive(s) make better your own NAS (do not buy NetGear NAS by chance :-D)

and finally, tell your friends - you're not recommending Netgear because it's a crap.

Message 43 of 84
Guide

I generally like my Nighthawk router - I would not call it "сrар", because it's a solid piece of hardware. But the way Netgear is handling this crisis with faulty firmware is unacceptible. Why hasn't Netgear pulled bad version 1.0.5.8, knowing that it is buggy and causing issues? It is still available, and Netgear app is prompting me to "upgrade". That's what is frustrating.

Message 44 of 84
Prodigy

Simple they have your money and just do not seem to care about the after purchase experience. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 45 of 84
Guide

I have had no complaints about the product other than the apparent lack of testing new firmware.  Being a software engineer myself, if it was my product, I would have pulled it and immediately started looking for problems and reading the forums. Sometimes the best testing does not begin until you hand it to users. I thought I gave them a big hint with trying to recompile with 64 bit, but they have not responded. I do not know if that would fix all issues, but it would be the first place I would start. I have not tried two USBs, but I have the same thought about increasing my disk storage. I currently have a 20TB drive array with RAID 5. Sorry if I got to techy.

TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM: I downloaded and installed firmware version 1.0.4.28 and it solved my issues.  I noticed someone also had problems with PLEX and that is what I use and it works fine with 1.0.4.28. Once it is installed, make sure you go into Advanced Settings and set not to auto update the firmware.  I thought I did, but yesterday, mine went back to 1.0.5.?? and I had to reinstall 1.0.4.28.

Greg

Message 46 of 84
Guide

I encounter following problems:

- can't upload files bigger than 2GB over SMB

- VLC media player (Andoid) can't play files over network

- Total Commander (Andoid) can't copy files over SMB

I wonder if Nighthawk XR700 suffers from same problems. The hardware seems to be the same only the case looks different.

I am tempted to upload the firmware from the XR700 to the R9000

Did anyone try somethig similar?

Message 47 of 84

@gregu206 wrote:

I have had no complaints about the product other than the apparent lack of testing new firmware.  Being a software engineer myself, if it was my product, I would have pulled it and immediately started looking for problems and reading the forums. Sometimes the best testing does not begin until you hand it to users. I thought I gave them a big hint with trying to recompile with 64 bit, but they have not responded. I do not know if that would fix all issues, but it would be the first place I would start. I have not tried two USBs, but I have the same thought about increasing my disk storage. I currently have a 20TB drive array with RAID 5. Sorry if I got to techy.

TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM: I downloaded and installed firmware version 1.0.4.28 and it solved my issues.  I noticed someone also had problems with PLEX and that is what I use and it works fine with 1.0.4.28. Once it is installed, make sure you go into Advanced Settings and set not to auto update the firmware.  I thought I did, but yesterday, mine went back to 1.0.5.?? and I had to reinstall 1.0.4.28.

Greg

When you reinstall do you do a factory reset or just do it?

Message 48 of 84
Apprentice

I have done the same but as you know Plex does updates to there server and its a matter of time before plex ends up with issues
I went thru that when plex changed there live tv/dvr feature
As far as the ready share issue I used to have 2 usb hard drives connected but netgear broke that too so i had to buy one large one as even 1.0.4 messes up readyshare
I just dont understand why its taken netgear so long to fix this
Ive got a lot of money tied up in netgear products
With layer 3 switches, routers, etc
Message 49 of 84
Apprentice

@JonKeys wrote:

I am currently testing the beta firmware (v1.0.5.15) and I will report back after a few days of use.

The QoS issues (see different thread) appear to be resolved with this firmware, however after just a few minutes of testing ReadyShare there may still be some issues. Initial obserations:

1) The use of admin credentials for write access appears to be fixed. 

2) Transfer speeds appear to be extremely slow still (about 20% speed compared to v1.0.5.2).

3) Media files now play again when accessed through ReadyShare (MacOS).

4) The way I have to access my files in Finder (MacOS) is still different than v1.0.5.2. Where as I used to just click on R9000 under Locations (MacOS) to view and access the server folder(s), now they don't show up. However, a new READYSHARE location appears instead (as a virtual disk), and the folder(s) are there. I don't know if this is by design or not, but I'm not sure it is welcome, and it may be the reason everything is so slow.

I'll report back soon.

Okay, after testing the beta firmware (v1.0.5.15) for over a week now, I can confirm the following (please consider this an amendment to my intital feedback above): 

1. QoS issues are resolved (See: Start QoS Failed 12/2019)
  2. The use of admin credentials for ReadyShare write access appears to be fixed (although it was a bit awkward to configure)
  3. ReadyShare transfer speeds are fine and back to normal (despite my initial observations - refresh traffic probably caused this). 
  4. Media files now play again when accessed through ReadyShare (MacOS).
  5. Using more than 1 USB port still causes massive problems.*

*With my 8TB external drive plugged in, everything works fine. But if I plug in my 2nd drive, a 12TB external, the 1st drive disappears and and the 2nd does not show up. I can get them to both work together briefly, by powering off both drives, and router, and by un-plugging both USB cables. I then power the router back on, power up the 1st drive, plug it in to the router, wait, then power up the 2nd drive, plug it in to the router, then wait. This usually takes about 3 tries, but it is the only way to get them both to work together. However, after about 24 hours, both drives just disappear again. The only way I can achieve stability is by using only 1 drive. Which defeats the point of having 2 USB ports. 

The beta firmware is a step in the right direction, but there is still a lot of work to do to get this router working as advertised. I hope the firmware team will now start taking these issue more seriously going forward. It was only yesterday Netgear was in the news for security failings, which includes my router, the R9000. 

If I notice anything else with the beta firmware, I will report back. 

Message 50 of 84
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements