Apprentice

Re: R9000 X10 Nighthowk Firmware Version 1.0.5.8 :-( Ready SHARE problem

And this is another and another and another one example of how frivolously NetGear treats its own customers(!)

I am afraid to install the next update :-(

I know, I know, I know, now they're probably gonna lay it on the coronavirus problem...

SHAME NETGEAR (again!!!)

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 51 of 84
Guide

I just select the 1.0.4.28 file that I have saved and install it.  I do not change any setting until after it installs and then I just go into Advanced and disable auto updates.  I cannot remember the exact wording, but you get the idea.

Message 52 of 84
Guide

The beta firmware 10.0.5.15 on my Dell Precision T3500 and T3600 servers running Windows 10 Pro seems to be working OK. ReadyShare seems to be working OK with reasonably fast file transfers including larger files, such as a 40GB BluRay rip.

I haven't tested all combinations and permutations but for the moment I have no concerns with this version of firmware.

Message 53 of 84
Apprentice

Has anyone tried 1.0.5.14 firmware
If so does it resolve any of the ready share issues or cause any new ones, I just got the notification from netgear
I have got very cautious with netgear firmware
Message 54 of 84
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Spd2612

No, that firmware does not fix ready share. We have a beta firmware that currently does I will send you an invite to the beta community.

DarrenM

Message 55 of 84
Guide

I am the one who thinks it is a 32 bit vs 64 bit compile issue. I would also like to test the beta.

Greg

Message 56 of 84
Tutor

i tried my best not to do this but i had no other choice.  There are constant vulnarabities that impact Netgear routers and situations like this where i am forced to decide between functionality (ReadyShare) or security.   I am have been so tired with the response of Netgear as a whole, and its not just with the R9000, its something i have continued to experience with their other routers. 

I am no longer a Netgear owner, i went ahead and took my drives and am using Plex and other services off my mac mini turned server.  Replaced my router with an Eero Pro.  So far very happy with the performance, range, constant security updates.   Gaming has been great (that was the biggest thing i was worried about).  

Good luck community.  Hopefully they will release the right fix

Message 57 of 84

DarrenM I sent you a PM a couple of days ago. Do you think you could send me that as well?

Message 58 of 84
Apprentice

I put the beta . 15 on but did have some issues this morning with my veeam backups to the readyshare drive i have not had time to look into it yet but will report back
Message 59 of 84
Guide

Beta .15 solved for me the upload files bigger than 2gb problem.

The rest:

- smb download over Windows/Android 

- playback over VLC (Android) 

not working

Only thing that keeps me not selling this router as spare parts is playback over DLNA from an old LG Bluray homecenter is still working.

I first suspected the HDD connected to the router so I did some benchmarks, reformated the the whole drive (suspected some bad blocks caused by power failure) and copied back the files. 

!!! Would be great to have a SMART monitoring routine for connected storage implemented in the router!!!

Message 60 of 84
Apprentice

Well been trying to use 1.0.5.15 for several days, its a improvement as ready share does have basic functionality but I had to go back to 1.0.5.2 

My backups get tested off that drive and writes to it there is a problem with something as I get failures that I have not gotten before 

I have tested my end extensively and the only cure was to go back to 1.0.5.2.

Heres a example of a error from a failed backup

Processing Veeam Error: An unexpected network error occurred. Failed to read data from the file [\\R9000\VeeamBKUPS\ESX6Veeam2-R9000\ESX6Veeam2-R9000D2020-03-18T040128_06EC.vbk]. Failed to open storage for read/write access. Storage: [\\R9000\VeeamBKUPS\ESX6Veeam2-R9000\ESX6Veeam2-R9000D2020-03-18T040128_06EC.vbk].

So more work needs to be done here 

Its a shame to have a higher end router's that Netgear cant get right and I have 2 R9000's plus a GS724T and a PROSAFE GS748T V5

So I am invested in Netgear Products

Message 61 of 84
Aspirant

Darren,

Would you please send me the invite for the BETA Nighthawk firmware?

Thank you in advance,

James

Message 62 of 84
Apprentice

Me too PLEASE :-)

Message 63 of 84
Apprentice

After installing beta 1.0.5.15 problem with USB HDD still exist :-(

I can't upload files on disk, I can't delete file :-( I got msg translated to en - "invalid file handle"

Grrrrr I'm doing back to 1.0.4.x version....sucks Netgear

Message 64 of 84
Apprentice

Just following up from my previous post about firmware v1.0.5.15. I have discovered a new bug. 

5. When FileVault (encyption) is enabled on MacOS, retrieving data from a ReadyShare connected USB device results in significant file corruption. Sending data to ReadyShare devices appears to work fine, but the data is damaged each and everytime you bring it back to the laptop (MacOS) (It does not appear to do this with FileVault disabled).

This is obvoiusly quite a concerning bug, and another example of poor testing on NetGears part, as I've been trying to work out for weeks why my data was getting damaged. I now have the answer. 

Please do one simple thing NetGear, make your firmware work!

Message 65 of 84
Aspirant

Same thing happening to me.  No file over 2gb with transfer.  Keeps saying the drive is full.  I split the file up with ZIP, transferred successfully, but it won't unzip.  Netgear sucks as well as their Customer service......complete wast of money.  Need to find a better brand.

Message 66 of 84
Apprentice

Just as another follow up, to my previous post. After further testing, unfortunatley, this also appears to apply when FileVault is disabled. Meaning it always happens.  

Which equals...

All data transferred from a ReadyShare device to MacOS becomes corrupted. Writing to a ReadyShare devices from MacOS seems to work fine without any file damage. 

I believe this is likely exclusive to firmware v1.0.5.15, as I've only noticed this problem since upgrading to it. I can not return to an older version, because then QoS stops working, which I need. So I am stuck with a broken router. 

Very unhappy!

@JonKeys wrote:

Just following up from my previous post about firmware v1.0.5.15. I have discovered a new bug. 

5. When FileVault (encyption) is enabled on MacOS, retrieving data from a ReadyShare connected USB device results in significant file corruption. Sending data to ReadyShare devices appears to work fine, but the data is damaged each and everytime you bring it back to the laptop (MacOS) (It does not appear to do this with FileVault disabled).

This is obvoiusly quite a concerning bug, and another example of poor testing on NetGears part, as I've been trying to work out for weeks why my data was getting damaged. I now have the answer. 

Please do one simple thing NetGear, make your firmware work!

Message 67 of 84
Aspirant

Hello,

i also would like to receive an beta invite for v1.0.5.15.

please help me on that readyshare issue Smiley Sad

Message 68 of 84
Apprentice

In beta firmware is the same problem with readyshare :-(

Only one solution for that is downgrade firmware to 1.0.4.x

Netgear doesn't react on these problems :-( and subsequent versions have new bugs and old ones not corrected :-(

You lose the time for installing beta :-( I don't recommend to do that.

Message 69 of 84
Apprentice

1.0.5.15 also has problems with Ready Share
Just a heads up
Message 70 of 84
Apprentice

I wrote that above, why are you saying that AGAIN?!!

Yes! Netgear has a problem with the firmware and he's pissing off his users!

It doesn't make any sense to continue writing or buying their devices!

Message 71 of 84
Apprentice

Im saying it again because Netgear doesn't seem to be listening
unfortunately I cant afford to just give up here I have 2 R9000’s and 2 Netgear managed switches so changing all That out is not a cheap option
Message 72 of 84
Aspirant

We just got to face facts... Netgear socks. They have low level people working in caves in the middle of nowhere in countries that are akin to slave labor. Their products performance results reflect as such... Only a matter of time before one company wipes them off the planet. Might as well go ahead and start looking for a better replacement... Plenty around, Google, Linksys... You name it. They just keep coming out with new products that cost more that are just as crappy as the last one... The more people that realize this the quicker innovation will reign.... Better people will run better companies. Again, Netgear sucks.
Message 73 of 84
Apprentice

@JonKeys wrote:

I am currently testing the beta firmware (v1.0.5.15) and I will report back after a few days of use.

The QoS issues (see different thread) appear to be resolved with this firmware, however after just a few minutes of testing ReadyShare there may still be some issues. Initial obserations:

1) The use of admin credentials for write access appears to be fixed. 

2) Transfer speeds appear to be extremely slow still (about 20% speed compared to v1.0.5.2).

3) Media files now play again when accessed through ReadyShare (MacOS).

4) The way I have to access my files in Finder (MacOS) is still different than v1.0.5.2. Where as I used to just click on R9000 under Locations (MacOS) to view and access the server folder(s), now they don't show up. However, a new READYSHARE location appears instead (as a virtual disk), and the folder(s) are there. I don't know if this is by design or not, but I'm not sure it is welcome, and it may be the reason everything is so slow.

I'll report back soon.

As I've found more issues with the beta firmware (v1.0.5.15). Please find below a fully updated list of ReadyShare fixes and issues regarding v1.0.5.15. I posted this to try and help the firmware team perfect their next release (which we are all desperately waiting for):

1) The use of admin credentials for write access appears to be fixed. 

2) Media files now play again when accessed through ReadyShare (MacOS).

3) The way I have to access my files in Finder (MacOS) is still different than v1.0.5.2. Where as I used to just click on R9000 under Locations (MacOS) to view and access the server folder(s), now they don't show up. However, a new READYSHARE location appears instead (as a virtual disk), and the folder(s) are there. 

4) Media files copied back from a ReadyShare drive to a MacOS local disk become corrupted (Transferring to a ReadyShare drive appears to work without corruption). Might be rooted in disk format pairing issues e.g NTFS to APFS. Not sure.

5) After a period of time, the auto media refresh mechanism stops working and then has to be activated manually each time in the ReadyShare advanced settings. Restarting the router does not resolve the issue once it appears. Only performing a factory reset gets the auto refresh to work again. 

Overall, many ReadyShare issues remain in the beta firmware. 

Message 74 of 84

Tried 1.0.5.8 again on Mac OS Catalina, latest version.

There are still numerous problems to report.

1: I can no longer change the region to a different country anymore. It's stuck on China as I'm an expat. Previously I was able to change it to different countries.

2: When I click on R9000 in finder it says Connection Failed.

3: When I click on Readyshare in Finder it just loads and loads and never actually loads my USB drives. 

4: If I click on Network in Finder then click on R9000, also Connection Failed.

5: If I click on Network in Finder then click on Readyshare, it just spins forever and never loads my USB drives that are connected to my R9000.

Is it really that hard Netgear? Stop messing with Readyshare. I really don't want to see it anywhere as it gives me nightmares.

Previously I just clicked on R9000 in finder and everything worked great. Readyshare has had issues since day one.

I have an R9000, R8500 and R8000. Previously alos owned an R7000 and N900.

I'm disappointed in you guys.

Message 75 of 84
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements