Highlighted
Follower

R9000 and Genie not showing attached devices

R9000 just stopped showing the attached devices in NetgearGenie app/webbrowser for windows PC. The attached devices show on iPhone app, but I am trying to manage the devices in the Security section AccessControl in the browser. I have also tried this on a laptop PC with no success; the caches have been cleaned, the R9000 rebooted with still no success. Any ideas?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 126
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R9000 and Genie not showing attached devices

Hi Rafe46, 

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 126
Highlighted
Initiate

Dear Blanca,

This issue affects many (most?) dissapointed and frustrated NETGEAR customers and R9000 users.

Is there a solution for this issue with “Attached Devices”/“Access Control”/“Device Names” ... that you want to share here?

Thank you.

Message 3 of 126
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi moejoe, 

The issue has been forwarded already to engineers. They are working on releasing an official firmware fix for this concern. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 4 of 126
Highlighted
Apprentice

How many times and for how many years do we have to read your same comment over and over again before this problem actually be resolved? 

There are so many people with the same issue, for years already, and there's no working issue, except to reset the router to factory default. I don't mind repeating this, this is a supposed to be a premium router, and we paid a premium price for it!!!!

Message 5 of 126
Highlighted
Apprentice

You are not alone, so many people have the same problem and Netgear had completely no solution to it.

Message 6 of 126
Highlighted
Luminary

the quality of netgear products is the lowest I've ever witnessed - if they do fix it....eventually...they will break something else.

Message 7 of 126
Highlighted
Apprentice

I agree with you.

their QC is terrible, their software is nightmare.

I always hope they could have problem solved with their new products, but no, it just come with new problems.

I have like 5, 6 of their products for years, R7000 is best. Also using their PoE 8 ports switch, working great.

R9000 and M1 have great performance, have those problems are deal breaker.

Message 8 of 126
Highlighted
Guru

@Rafe46 wrote:

R9000 just stopped showing the attached devices in NetgearGenie app/webbrowser for windows PC.

-..but I am trying to manage the devices in the Security section AccessControl in the browser.

Some special conditions - don't know if these were "special" host names announced, or admin actions in the access control ie renaming or changing the type or changing the Access Control (just to mention a few possible things) - seem to break things for some users. 

@Rafe46 wrote:

The attached devices show on iPhone app,

That's in fact an oddity (read: complete crap - reported many times - NTGR is ignorant! @Blanca_O please push this to the engineers again, too!) in the App implementation - the iOS and Android App shows an Attached Devices list based on the network connected and it's ARP table - and not based on information or a table provided from the Netgear router. Connect to a complete different WiFi network (at work, at a public hotspot, Internet coffee, ....) without any Netgear router, and you see (permitting the inter-network wireless connections are not filtered) all "attached" devices.

Message 9 of 126
Highlighted

@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi Rafe46, 

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Hi Blanca_O - I am having the same exact problem!!  Right after switching enable access control "on" and blocking a device (my daughter's phone, she's being punished), I CANNOT SEE ANY DEVICES AT ALL!!!  No matter what screen I choose access control from, I get a little spinning wheel that disappears with no device access list.  This means, of course, my daugter's phone is probably permanently banned from the network, because I cannot fathom how I'm going to enable it again without a list of devices and a check box to change the permission status.  This is a big problem that will not go away.  I searched and found this thread and understand its been forwarded to your engineers almost a month ago, but WE NEED THIS ISSUE FIXED NOW!!!  You would think for the price of your equipment, you'd have a fundamental problem like this worked out before you sold the unit to anyone.  After I've now wasted 2 valuable hours of my time on this (my hourly rate is $450), I ask you: "DO YOU BEG THE LIGHTING TO STRIKE!!!"  Please get this fixed - NOW!!

Message 10 of 126
Apprentice

So it's been another month and still no solution.

I have to turn off the access control becoz my new devices cannot access Internet!

Message 11 of 126
Highlighted
Guru

@RebellionRS wrote:
Hi Blanca_O - I am having the same exact problem!!  Right after switching enable access control "on" and blocking a device (my daughter's phone, she's being punished), I CANNOT SEE ANY DEVICES AT ALL!!!  No matter what screen I choose access control from, I get a little spinning wheel that disappears with no device access list. 

Appears it's still (or again) possible to corrupt the config - either by just enabling the access control, or by blocking selected devices - no mater if using the R9000 Genie Web UI or the Nightawk App - to the point that the Attached Device list can't be loaded. Root cause unknown - potentially related to the device names provided by the devices/DHCP clients or (un-?)lucky editing. Didn't happened here on my R9000 (currently some work-in-progress of v1.0.4.3.xxxx) and since updating to some late 1.0.3.x or 1.0.4.x following a factory reset (which would most likely fix your issue for the moment). No, I don't protect Netgear here. 

@RebellionRS wrote:
This means, of course, my daugter's phone is probably permanently banned from the network, because I cannot fathom how I'm going to enable it again without a list of devices and a check box to change the permission status.  This is a big problem that will not go away.

Go to Advanced Settings -> Security -> 

R9000 Security Access Control.PNG

Best guess is that the Access Control part can still be loaded and you can make your daughter happy again. If not - I'm afraid - factory reset.

@RebellionRS wrote:
After I've now wasted 2 valuable hours of my time on this (my hourly rate is $450), ...

Any job openings?

Regards,

-Kurt.

Message 12 of 126
Highlighted
Aspirant

I also cannot see the attached devices to the router. This is total B*llsh*t  the f-ing router was very expensive and searching the history of the problem; it has existed for many years. I paid the router's high price with expectations that it would work as advertised. As soon as I enabled the Access Control to restrict access, the damned router stopped displaying the Attached Devices and the Access Control. FIX THE DAM ISSUE!!!

All of us should post negative comments on Netgear's Facebook page and other social media sites! We should warn other potential Netgear customers that are thinking of purchasing their routers, should not because a basic function that should have been fixed years ago still is not fixed!

This is so frustrating!

Message 13 of 126
Highlighted

@schumaku wrote:

@RebellionRS wrote:
Hi Blanca_O - I am having the same exact problem!!  Right after switching enable access control "on" and blocking a device (my daughter's phone, she's being punished), I CANNOT SEE ANY DEVICES AT ALL!!!  No matter what screen I choose access control from, I get a little spinning wheel that disappears with no device access list. 

Appears it's still (or again) possible to corrupt the config - either by just enabling the access control, or by blocking selected devices - no mater if using the R9000 Genie Web UI or the Nightawk App - to the point that the Attached Device list can't be loaded. Root cause unknown - potentially related to the device names provided by the devices/DHCP clients or (un-?)lucky editing. Didn't happened here on my R9000 (currently some work-in-progress of v1.0.4.3.xxxx) and since updating to some late 1.0.3.x or 1.0.4.x following a factory reset (which would most likely fix your issue for the moment). No, I don't protect Netgear here. 

@RebellionRS wrote:
This means, of course, my daugter's phone is probably permanently banned from the network, because I cannot fathom how I'm going to enable it again without a list of devices and a check box to change the permission status.  This is a big problem that will not go away.

Go to Advanced Settings -> Security -> 

R9000 Security Access Control.PNG

Best guess is that the Access Control part can still be loaded and you can make your daughter happy again. If not - I'm afraid - factory reset.

@RebellionRS wrote:
After I've now wasted 2 valuable hours of my time on this (my hourly rate is $450), ...

Any job openings?

Regards,

-Kurt.

Hiya, and thanks so much for your reply.  Later that day, I downloaded the Netgear genie andriod phone app from Google play store and was able to see and use full access control from my cell phone.  My daughter served her time and was happy I was able to re-enable her wifi, but now she's more than a little concerned with the fact that I can now instantly kill her wifi with a few clicks on my phone (might this lead to better behavior? I can always hope).  The router's Netgear Genie still does not even load the access control screen at all, because it hangs on the first thing it looks for - the device list.  The spinning 'wait' circle simply disappears and it acts like I never pressed anything (forcing me to make some very unkind comments at the screen).  You'll need a J.D., admission to practice law in NY and a minimum of 10 years of good experience before we could hire you and bill you at $450/hr. - but there's room -> demand for litigation in Manhattan has been virtually unending over my last 20 years.  Anyway, my guess is they fixed the Genie android phone app, but not the firmware - forgot to mention my version of router firmware is/was current - 1.0.4.2.  Thanks again for responding!

Message 14 of 126
Highlighted

@zenman777 wrote:

I also cannot see the attached devices to the router. This is total B*llsh*t  the f-ing router was very expensive and searching the history of the problem; it has existed for many years. I paid the router's high price with expectations that it would work as advertised. As soon as I enabled the Access Control to restrict access, the damned router stopped displaying the Attached Devices and the Access Control. FIX THE DAM ISSUE!!!

This is so frustrating!

Hiya - I don't know if you tried, but I was able to use access control on my phone using the Netgear genie app for android (downloaded for free from google play store).

Message 15 of 126
Highlighted
Tutor

Hi

My router is not showing attached wifi devices even though there are 3 working devices.  This seems to be a real issue.  Can someone please tell me how to fix this or when Netgear will release new FW to fix the issue?

Thanks

Message 16 of 126
Highlighted
Tutor

@AlanWD wrote:

Hi

My router is not showing attached wifi devices even though there are 3 working devices.  This seems to be a real issue.  Can someone please tell me how to fix this or when Netgear will release new FW to fix the issue?

Thanks

Running Firmware Version   V1.3.1.44_10.1.23  and have exactly the same issue.  Over 60 devices on my home network, and I see zero attached, including the one I'm using now to send this note.

I'm with all the others. This needs to work - basic expectation of a router to show what is connected.

Has anyone had luck getting that to work?  Does resetting to initial settings fix the problem?Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 7.28.44 AM.png

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 17 of 126
Highlighted
Tutor

Hi

I have tried everything I can find from searches on this issue.  I tried things from Windows settings to router settings and devices like printers, phones, tablets, PC's and NAS devices.  Nothing works on Netgear!!!  I have two PC's one is Windows7 and one Windows10.  Both same issue.  Finally due to total lack of response from Netgear I went out and bought an ASUS router.  I plugged it in and within 5 minutes it was up and running and yes, detecting all devices with no effort!!!!   So I am throwing out the Netgear and never buying one again.  I find it outrageous that a company that's name starts with "Net" cannot fix the most basic thing a router needs to do which is detect connected devices.

Good bye NetGear

Message 18 of 126
Highlighted
Tutor

Connections return once I re-installed less than current firmware.

Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 10.09.45 AM.png

Message 19 of 126
Highlighted
Guru

@jd3073 wrote:

Running Firmware Version   V1.3.1.44_10.1.23 

Unrelated to the subject R9000 (and it's lill'bro R8900).

@jd3073 wrote:

Has anyone had luck getting that to work?  Does resetting to initial settings fix the problem?

On the R9000 we've had to do one factory reset in the past. With avoiding to many access control operations, the Attached Devices show correct again since. 

Message 20 of 126
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same issues. Attached devices is blank via PC, on iPhone it shows 2-3 devices of the 28 attached devices. 

When will this be fixed?

Message 21 of 126
Highlighted
Guru

@B_Bob wrote:

Attached devices is blank via PC, on iPhone it shows 2-3 devices of the 28 attached devices.

Typical effect of the Attached Devices/Access rights/bandwidth management content / data store corruption. 

@B_Bob wrote:

When will this be fixed?

Short term probably only by doing a factory reset, disliked of course.

Long term once Netgear does discover and fix the problems leading to this kind of data corruption, and once they added some consistency checks at least.

Message 22 of 126
Highlighted
Apprentice

This problem have beening existing since for no one remember how long ago and very unacceptable that Netgear is not able to fix it and more ridiculously they dont even response.

Message 23 of 126
Highlighted
Aspirant

Having the same issue with R6900P router after upgrade to 1.3.1.44_10.1.23. Rolled back to previous firmware (.26) and all is fine now. Be aware that no settings were lost in the process.

Message 24 of 126
Highlighted
Aspirant

How you turn off the control access if I can't access on it?I have the same issue from yesterday morning...

Message 25 of 126
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements