R9000 and powerline adapators are slower

Marco_Williams
Aspirant

R9000 and powerline adapators are slower

So, I got this router back in july and the ex8000. Once I updated to firmware to v1.0.4.12. I noticed that my ex8000 drops quite a bit and my wifi and powerline (NETGEAR Powerline 200Mbps) speeds are pretty week (used to get 45Mpbs, now I get around 8-10Mbps)

I have done several factory resets ande disabled the following on the router (R9000 Router Firmware Version V1.0.4.12)

QoS

Smart Connect

WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (2.4GHz b/g/n)

WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (5GHz 802.11a/n/ac)

I have tried a bunch of the other suggestions on the board(hence all the items disabled and such) and I am no closer to sloving this.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R9000 and powerline adapators are slower

Have you adjusted wireless channels? also have you enabled beamforming and MUMIMO?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
Marco_Williams
Aspirant

@DarrenM Yes those are enabled. I even turned of traffic meter.

For the past two weeks or so I have tried different channels for both the 2.4 and 5GHz.

This started happening after the last firmware update. So not sure if something went wrong there, but I have done factory resets and then applied the firmware updates and after a few hours all devices get dropped and then once I get them all connected again the speeds on all wireless and wired connections are very slow.

For example, netgear CM1000 modem connect to PC speed test is about average 133Mbps. I unplug from the modem and to the router and I get about 40Mbps. I have tried different cables and such, but the speed test are about the same(40Mbps).

As for the wireless the 2.4GHz is right about 1 Mbps, while the 5GHz is about 6.3Mbps. I am using Fast.com and google speed test.

I had put my old router back online last night because I work from home and need my network to be up and running.

And right now wired is getting about the same speeds as if I was connected into the modem and wifi is getting about 60Mbps on both channels.

I was reading up on how to flash the firmware to use Voxel, so that might be my next step, unless there is something else I can try. 

Does netgear have a best setup guide, like what channels to use, settings to have enabled, etc? Because I pretty much had left all the settings stock out the box (minus admin stuff) but once it start under preforming is when I started changing stuff, based on the community and what worked for people. 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to rollback to the old firmware that was working to see if it is a firmware issue?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 6
Marco_Williams
Aspirant

I have, but I will do it again. just to confirm the factory reset

1. Press the Rest button for 30 Sec

2. Unplug and wait 30 sec

3. plug in (still holding the reset button)

4. Then once the power light is on let go of the reset button

Message 5 of 6
antinode
Guru

> [...] just to confirm the factory reset [...]

I'd just press the Reset button until the LED indicators indicate
unusual activity.  Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model
number, and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look for
"Factory Settings".  If it fails do act as expected, then yank all the
data lines, and try again.  If the settings get reset, then I'd say that
the reset worked (without all the "stand on one leg and scream like a