R9000 firmware update 1.0.5.38 broke web ui

After firmware update to 1.0.5.38 router's web UI is broken 

Screenshot from 2021-11-15 08-20-39.png

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: R9000 firmware update 1.0.5.38 broke web ui

I'd start with a reboot and trying a different web browser. 

If that doesn't help. then I'd try factory resetting. 

Message 2 of 14
Ak74
Tutor

Yeah, rebooted and tried Google Chrome, Firefox and Vivaldi - no luck. 

Not comfortable resetting to factory right away, i changed few thing time back not sure what they were, but somethign with channels not to intersect with neighbour's routers )

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

do you have a hardwired device you can connect and test? If its not working wired, it won't matter if you change wireless channels. 

Message 4 of 14
Ak74
Tutor

It works when wired and wireless it's just web ui that is stuck, NIGHTHAWK app can connect to it though.. wierd

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

About all I'd recommend is the factory reset or downgrading the firmware and seeing if it fixes it. 

Message 6 of 14
Celpow
Initiate

Almost the same problem here, sometimes during the day ( between 5 and 10 times), i can't acess to internet and when i tied to connect to the R9000 web ui interface, i have the same thing as you.

I've tried to reset it but no luck; i'm going to reinstall the old firmware

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Did a factory reset change anything with the UI? 

@Ak74 wrote:

It works when wired and wireless it's just web ui that is stuck, NIGHTHAWK app can connect to it though.. wierd

Message 8 of 14
Ak74
Tutor

Interesting that you mentioned that you "cannot access internet few times a day" - i have same thing, my laptop (Ubuntu 21.x) loses the connection to the router time to time, and i have to diseble-enable WiFi on laptop to get the connection back. This is pretty crappy update from Netgerar.

Yeah, i alomst see gurus unveling the wisdom of "resetting and deploying previous firmware", but how about testing what you release and by the way - how do i revert to previous firmware if i cannot get to Web UI?

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this happen with a different PC and web browser? Maybe something non Ubuntu.

So while us "guru's" dont' work for NG nor develop the FW, trying the suggestions that us "gurus" offer is recommeded. If you can get in to the rotuers web page log enough, you can down grade the FW then if you have a prior version at the ready. 

Also if stock FW doesn't work for you R9000 users, you might give Voxels R9000 Fw a reveiew and see if it does work better. I've used his stuff on my R7800 from time to time. 

Message 10 of 14
Ak74
Tutor

You're sorty "on deffensive" which doesn't help. )) Yes, i cannot get to Web UI from any other coputer (Mac, PC and mobile).

Comment regarding "It's a Linux thing" particularly priceless! Just think. If it was working on previous firmware for my Linux it's a... a... not Linux thing maybe? Maybe not, but it started happening with this firmware update. Anyways.

How do i downgrade if i cannot get to Web UI again?

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Well again, you assumed that us "gurus" did the FW on this router. Again, Us gurus don't have any kind of FW development resources with NG nor are we employees of NG. We are here to help out where and when we can and offer troubleshooting information and alternatives. Your the one who came off thinking we were the ones responsible for this and should do more testing. Thats not our responsibility.

So again, factory reset with a good working wired PC, having the prior FW at the ready. I'd even disconnect the router from the ISP modem as well. 

Another suggestion would be to try the TFTP method to get something else installed:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

Message 12 of 14
Celpow
Initiate

Yes, same problem with different computer and/or  wired/wifi but with a factory reset i can acces to the web ui, so I'm going to check with the voxel fw.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

@Celpow wrote:

Yes, same problem with different computer and/or  wired/wifi but with a factory reset i can acces to the web ui, so I'm going to check with the voxel fw.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7