Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R9000 firmware update to 1.0.3.6 now Plex server can not be acccessed outside network

ClausMoeller
Guide

R9000 firmware update to 1.0.3.6 now Plex server can not be acccessed outside network

I decided to update the R9000 to latest firmware - that went well.

Now my plex server is not accessible from the outside - it worked so well before. I tried to switch UnDp on and off - still no access

Modem mode is selected.

Any fixes?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
ClausMoeller
Guide

Re: R9000 firmware update to 1.0.3.6 now Plex server can not be acccessed outside network

Dear everybody in this thread - thank you all for your support.

It now works well.

My ISP (Fibia in Denmark) had changed my settings where they only should change the adress for billing. After several attempts via writing on their service site and them changing and giving me accces to their modem. 2 ways was found usable:

When I had access to the ISP's router;Splitting the DCHP area and having a port forward to the MAC address and IP address of the R9000 worked well. The R9000 was then found on 10.0.0.1

Final setup after them changing again; I called call and asked them for setting their router in Bridge mode with dynamical allocated public IP (thats what the call it). They also tried privat IP - did not work out. Seems to be 2 bridge modes?

Now the R9000 has 192.168.1.1. as in the old days.

Once again thank you all for help and coaching.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
ClausMoeller
Guide

Hi again 

After a whole days testing and reading Plex descriptions. I finally found a solution - there might be others.

If you have as I have the router R9000 (fiber-optic) connected via cable to your modem then there can not be any "bridge", double NAT or others things. So after possible 5 factory resets where the R9000 suggested to set IP adress to 10.0.0.1. This seems in the new firmware  not to work with PLEX (usb disc connecter to modem R9000).

I therefore forced the IP to 192.168.0.1 - that did it for me. No port-forwarding neccesary or other things the reduces secutity.

Message 2 of 17
ClausMoeller
Guide

Bum

After an IOS login - we are back to where nothing works. I will have to to reinstall the R9000 and add the USB drive as Plex drive.

I will now try to reinstall an earlier firmware - where everyting worked well.

Message 3 of 17
schumaku
Guru

wrote:

>>> If you have as I have the router R9000 (fiber-optic) connected via cable to your modem...

The 10Gbps fiber optic port is a LAN port not a WAN port. You need to use the WAN Ethernet copper port from the R9000 to connect to the modem.

Correct. However i assume there is some FTTH CPE in the game, and not a direct connection to the R9000 LAN AFP+ port.

Rumour is that we will see an optional config for converting the SFP+ port to become a WAN (Internet) port soon. Not sure if the AL SoC is able to deal with the odd 1.25 Gb/s data rates which are the de-facto standard on many FTTH deployments. And that would be just the start - perfect ICMP IGMPv3 multicast handling and flexible VLAN configs wold be required, too.

Message 4 of 17
ClausMoeller
Guide

Thanks for helping out. But my network works and I have used the WAN port. What I meant was that my router is connected to the internet via a fiber-optoc network (Danish FIBIA). The wireless network works brilliant.

The plex -server used to too. I believe now it is the UPnP assigning to port that no longer does it job! Still investigating and trying out. Port forwarding is not easy on the R9000 when the USB-disc is connected to Modem (R9000).

Message 5 of 17
schumaku
Guru

"...I believe now it is the UPnP assigning to port that no longer does it job! Still investigating and trying out. Port forwarding is not easy on the R9000 when the USB-disc is connected to Modem (R9000)."
Now you confuse me. Plex Server is running direct on the router, so there is no UPnP PMP in the play. Or does your Fiber Modem requiring any NAT port forwarding?
Message 6 of 17
schumaku
Guru

Claus, Have already checked the R9000 Plex Server - Remote configuration?

R9000 Plex Remote Access.jpg

Message 7 of 17
ClausMoeller
Guide

Status after a whole days work. 

I updated to the latest firmware version in beta. Nothing helped.

During the the day I got it working for some 20 minutes - then it switched back too not accessible outside your network.

My conclusion is that so far the R9000 is not able to act as media server for PLEX. My configuration is the simplest possible - so many others ought to have the same problem. R9000 confiration seems the issue - and no work.arounds avaible in the net.

As I have a NVidia Shield, which is cabable of doing plex media server; I will try that. The port - forwarding will be straight forward.

As it worked for about 2 month - I would be curiuos to hear if I am the only let down by Netgear!

Message 8 of 17
schumaku
Guru

wrote:

During the the day I got it working for some 20 minutes - then it switched back too not accessible outside your network.

My conclusion is that so far the R9000 is not able to act as media server for PLEX. My configuration is the simplest possible - so many others ought to have the same problem. R9000 confiration seems the issue - and no work.arounds avaible in the net.

So Plex does revert in your environment to the "Not available outside your network" randomly - as seen in my screenshot above?

wrote:

As I have a NVidia Shield, which is cabable of doing plex media server; I will try that. The port - forwarding will be straight forward.

As the R9000 has interfaces direct on the LAN and the Internet, there is no port forwarding required.

Double check there is _no_ port forwarding in place on the R9000 potentially overriding or interfering the Internet side service port configured (automatically or set manually)! 

wrote:

As it worked for about 2 month - I would be curiuos to hear if I am the only let down by Netgear! 

The Plex run here is built and maintained by Plex, not by Netgear. The very same applies to Nvidia Shield by the way.

Re-activate the remote access, wait until it does cease from working, then gather the logs...

[Plex Media Server] Easily Gather Logs

...and report using the Plex forum...

[Plex Media Server] How to Report an Issue

Check your Plex config logging is not configured to add verbose (unless requested by Plex) and token information before making this information available to the public!

Message 9 of 17
xnsys
Luminary

wrote:

wrote:

>>> If you have as I have the router R9000 (fiber-optic) connected via cable to your modem...

The 10Gbps fiber optic port is a LAN port not a WAN port. You need to use the WAN Ethernet copper port from the R9000 to connect to the modem.

Correct. However i assume there is some FTTH CPE in the game, and not a direct connection to the R9000 LAN AFP+ port.

Rumour is that we will see an optional config for converting the SFP+ port to become a WAN (Internet) port soon. Not sure if the AL SoC is able to deal with the odd 1.25 Gb/s data rates which are the de-facto standard on many FTTH deployments. And that would be just the start - perfect ICMP IGMPv3 multicast handling and flexible VLAN configs wold be required, too.

Not strictly true, unless the R9000 is in modem mode, in AP and Bridge it will not matter which port you are using to uplink to.

If you have a configuration like mine...

Modem > Router/Firewall > Switch > R9000, then you can connect the R9000 to the switch using the 10GbE SFP+, I do and there are no problems, it will even pick up a DHCP address is I allow it to.

If you have a configuration such as

Modem > R9000 (PPPoE/PPPoA) - then you will need to use the WAN port otherwise you cannot authenticate to your ISP.

If you leave the router in Modem mode, and have the same configuration as I have, then you will get a local IP address, local to your network - the only problem you will have is that you potentially could have is an IP address clash when the R9000 starts working as a DHCP server, as does your network!

Back on topic to the OPs original request.

Need to obtain more details about your network.

How are you connecting to your ISP - PPPoE/PPPoA etc.

Are you getting a real-world IP address for the WAN port (One that is not withing the ranges 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 or 192.168.0.0 -192.168.255.255).  The reason I'm asking this is that some ISPs are assigning new customers NAT'd addresses due to the lack of IPv4 addressing available.

Message 10 of 17
schumaku
Guru

wrote:

Not strictly true, unless the R9000 is in modem mode, in AP and Bridge it will not matter which port you are using to uplink to

Everything I stated above is aimed towards the default router usage (with NAT). In AP and bridge mode, all ports are bridged together of course.

wrote:

Are you getting a real-world IP address for the WAN port (One that is not withing the ranges 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 or 192.168.0.0 -192.168.255.255).  The reason I'm asking this is that some ISPs are assigning new customers NAT'd addresses due to the lack of IPv4 addressing available.

These would be definitively the wrong IP addresses for carrier grade NAT usage. These are the RFC 1918 addresses - reserved for private usage. For carrirer grade NAT, RFC 6598 is the best current practice - IANA assigned the Shared Address Space 100.64.0.0/10.

Does Plex UPnP PMP in AP/Bridge mode?

The OP has answered about his network set-up already. Router mode, WAN port on fiber CPE. 

Message 11 of 17
xnsys
Luminary

wrote:

wrote:

Not strictly true, unless the R9000 is in modem mode, in AP and Bridge it will not matter which port you are using to uplink to

Everything I stated above is aimed towards the default router usage (with NAT). In AP and bridge mode, all ports are bridged together of course.

wrote:

These would be definitively the wrong IP addresses for carrier grade NAT usage. These are the RFC 1918 addresses - reserved for private usage. For carrirer grade NAT, RFC 6598 is the best current practice - IANA assigned the Shared Address Space 100.64.0.0/10.

Does Plex UPnP PMP in AP/Bridge mode?

The OP has answered about his network set-up already. Router mode, WAN port on fiber CPE. 

Sadly not everybody follows the rules, hence why I asked - the OP has said that he saw a 10.0.0.1 address at some point - I have seen some ISPs allocate an address from the 10.x.x.x range in the past, but this was before the "agreement" of the range allocation was finalized.

Seeing the 10.0.0.1 range suggests to me that the modem is presenting the router with an internal address, and not a real-world address - it could be a simple NAT device - Virgin Media used to do this in the UK years ago, as does the Vigor 120 or 130 modem, unless doing PPPoE pass-thorugh.

UPnP does not function when the router is in bridge mode as the WAN port will become part of the hub...technically...and it is disabled from the configuration pages.

This should give you a better idea of how the internal ports work - this will be in modem mode.

R9000.jpg

The user guide says that the following is disabled in AP mode

• Guest Network
  • QoS
  • Setup Wizard
  • Port Forwarding/Port Triggering
  • Remote Management
  • UPnP
  • IPv6
  • Traffic Meter
  • Parental Controls
  • Block Sites
  • Block Services
  • VPN service
  • VLAN/IPTV setup
  • Internet Setup
  • WAN Setup
  • LAN Setup

Why IPv6 is disabled I don't know - although it just stopps the end user assigning the device an IPv6 address.

Message 12 of 17
schumaku
Guru

wrote:

UPnP does not function when the router is in bridge mode as the WAN port will become part of the hub...technically...and it is disabled from the configuration pages.

"UPnP" I love this term 8-) Here it is about the UPnP SSDP device discovery and the UPnP NAT-PMP (port maping protocol). The device discovery could remain active (but I have to admit that in my reading of the specs for a "single" IP it's kind of abuse - however, it works nice).

I was referrng to Plex Server doing UPnP NAT-PMP auto configuration on (another) NAT device in case the R9000 is NATed behind another device, no matter if thr R9000 does operate in router mode or in AP/Bridge mode - being a fiber CPE in router/NAT mode in case -> https://support.plex.tv/articles/200931138-troubleshooting-remote-access/

wrote:
Why IPv6 is disabled I don't know - although it just stopps the end user assigning the device an IPv6 address.

Gee, the consumer/SOHO makers still don't understand IPv6, still don't understand the requirements for operating IPv6 on a LAN (lack of router support for DHCPv6, lack of router support for Stateless Address Auto-configuration (SLAAC), lack of IPv6 firewall rules (IPv4 anyway...) and all the related issues when the ISP are re-assigning new prefixes), lack of a DHCPv6 client in AP/bridge mode, ... @NaderA @johngm are you listening?

Message 13 of 17
ClausMoeller
Guide

Well after some days of testing - let me tell you all nice friends here what I have found out so far.

Inspite of what I sought - my ISP has updated my Fiber-box and enabled Wifi, DHCP on so on. I have the passwords and can access it.

But what to switch on/off. The fiber box is Packet Front DR717.

Remember I have the R9000 connected to WAN port of fiber-box  and R9000 is configured as modem (AP and Bridge stops everything from working).

I have tried to disbaled the WIFI in the fiber-box - and it worked but still no external access to the plex media server on the usb port of R9000. Sometimes it works until the DCHP times it out.

I have tried to disable the DCHP in the fiber-box - but then I can not get internet access via R900.

And vice versa DCHP in Fiber box enabled and disbled in the R9000 - same result.

Wonder if I need the r9000 in brige-mode or AP?

Message 14 of 17
xnsys
Luminary

When you said an IP address of 10.0.0.1 was assigned to the R9000, I wasn't sure if you meant 100.64.x.x etc, hence the question and wanted to check - but it sounds as though we have got to the bottom of that part of the problem.

The problem you will face is the double NAT that you currently have with the current set-up. 

The R9000 will not do UPnP unless it is in modem mode, and has a real-world IP address assigned to the WAN interface.

If the R9000 is opening up the port to the PLEX using UPnP, it will be stopped from getting to the WAN port from anywhere by the NAT of the Packet Front DR717.

I have no experience of your ISP or the Packet Front DR717 - if there is a link to a userguide that could prove helpful.

It's possible that setting up a port-forward rule from any to the R9000 on the Packet Front DR717 might work, but it's kind of a long-shot.

What you have is the following...

Untitled.jpg

What this means is that the DR717 is NATing the External IP address to an internal range, which the R9000 is picking up as the WAN port.

How did this use to work?  Did the R9000 WAN port get an external IP address?

It might be worth going back to your ISP and asking if the DR717 can be put into bridge mode, so that it's only working as a modem and the R9000 is doing all the authentication, and therefore will get the external IP address you need.

Message 15 of 17
ClausMoeller
Guide

Dear everybody in this thread - thank you all for your support.

It now works well.

My ISP (Fibia in Denmark) had changed my settings where they only should change the adress for billing. After several attempts via writing on their service site and them changing and giving me accces to their modem. 2 ways was found usable:

When I had access to the ISP's router;Splitting the DCHP area and having a port forward to the MAC address and IP address of the R9000 worked well. The R9000 was then found on 10.0.0.1

Final setup after them changing again; I called call and asked them for setting their router in Bridge mode with dynamical allocated public IP (thats what the call it). They also tried privat IP - did not work out. Seems to be 2 bridge modes?

Once again thank you all for help and coaching.

Message 16 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@ClausMoellerwrote:

This is the standard alternate LAN subnet behaviour of a Netgear Nighthawk router if the WAN (Internet) Interface is configured into the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.

@ClausMoeller wrote:

Final setup after them changing again; I called call and asked them for setting their router in Bridge mode with dynamical allocated public IP (thats what the call it).

Good information for other community members that "Fibia" is willing to reconfigure thier CPE into bridge mode, so a public IPv4 is assigned to the R9000 WAN/Internet interface. Many other ISP providing triple-play services on Fiber don't offer this.

Thank you for the feedback, and enjoy!

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7