R9000 keeps reset to default configurations on its own

HaitianFEela
Follower

R9000 keeps reset to default configurations on its own

Haveing some issues with my X10 reverting to factory default

Hi i had the Nighthawk x10 since 03-2017. First time it factory reset itself was Sunday 04-08-2018, and today Tuesday again 04-10-2018. I reestored backup successfully both times. And of course I notice DDos Attacks before and imediately after.

Router Firmware V1.0.3.10

Some Config. Settings

Pre-Sunday 04-08-2018

OFF Plex

ON VPN

OFF  Remote Administration

ON DYN DNS

ISP Verizon

Post-Sunday 04-08-2018

OFF Plex

ON VPN

OFF  Remote Administration

ON DYN DNS

ISP Spectrum

Enviornment

A couple of AFTV's, a few macs, iOS devices, XBox One, Echo, Nest (not connected to Wifi), No Windows Machines.

HELP!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Re: R9000 keeps reset to default configurations on its own

@Case850 et al.
I'm all ear on this.... as it happened few times recently on my R8000 with FW v.1.0.3.54
Best,
Terry
Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@Case850 wrote:

@schumaku Any ideas?

Hacked?

We see lots of suspect faux DoS "warnings" when bringing back a Netgear router following a crash, reboot, ... onto a network with a lot of established sessions. Nothing specific to the R9000.

Message 3 of 8
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Thanks all for the info. I was a little worried that DoS when I saw it during my flashing/reflashing back and forth with the beta fw recently. So far, nothing drastically affectted with the old fw 1.0.3.54 on my R8000 router. 

Beta fw did not really fullfill my test criteria to my satisfaction. Sorry for the off-track on this

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 8
danibarone
Aspirant

Rif.: R9000 keeps reset to default configurations on its own

I had the some problem yesterday!
R9000 resetted to factory by itself!
Message 5 of 8
DWDrummer
Aspirant

Same here. Started randomly rebooting and resetting to factory about 3 days ago. It's getting more frequent and it is out of warranty by 11 days. 

Message 6 of 8
DWDrummer
Aspirant

Now it's resetting every few hours. Netgear: never again. $450 for a product that lasted 101 days?

I'm going with Intel and I will be advising my clients against Netgear products from now on.

Message 7 of 8

I purchased this router around February of 2018. After a few weeks the router one day lost all of it's configuration. Fortunately, I created a backup of the configuration and was able to restore.  The router functioned fine for a couple of weeks and then did the same thing again. About that time a firmware update came out, so I applied it and created another backup.  A couple weeks later the router would just lock up and I would have to restart it. It worked fine after a restart but a few days later would lock up again.  I checked the logs for signs of DOS/DDOS attacks etc. but did not see anything.  A few days after, the router loses it's configuration again, so I restored the config again. Afterwards, there would be alternating periods between it losing the configuration and locking up. The times between episodes of configuration loss are now to the point it has to be restored almost daily!  This is simply ridiculous for a product that costs $400.  Netgear needs to fix this ASAP or provide me a refund, so I can get a router that actually works and I can rely on.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements