• 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Luminary

R9000 resets to factory settings after power outage

A few days ago I had a power outage for about 90 minutes, the R9000 was attached to an APC UPS, but eventually the batteries drained and power went out. Was on current firmware 1.0.1.36.

When power came back on, the R9000 came back online, but even with the WiFi clearly on, my network wasn't available. Scanned the available channels, and the factory default WiFi name was visible (I changed the name, as I already had like two dozen devices connected to the old one). I checked the admin page and the R9000 had reverted to factory defaults just by losing power. I was very fortunate that I had a recent config backup and had my device back online in 10 minutes or so.

i have a Open support ticket on this, am reaching out to let everyone know to:

• Backup your config Settings TODAY and every week from now on

• Keep your cable modem and R9000 attached to a UPS (will mean you have WiFi available and protect your equipment, currently recommend the CyberPower network UPS line).

Please post if this has happened to you and open a support ticket if this does happen so Netgear can further diagnose the probable cause.

DLB
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
Highlighted
Master

Re: R9000 resets to factory settings after power outage

Keeping a backup record of your setting is a good idea for any network there should a page in the manual the you can record the set up infromation for the any future run of bad luck when you need or change routers. It is stange that you lost the set up of the router not unless the voltage to the router drop to low point when the battery die on the ups and the router's frimware or hardward has saftey feature to protect the router from damage in these cases. 

Message 2 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

There is another thread I posted in but two others excluding me had the same issue.

In my case with restoring a backedup config file didn't help me. It only restored the router password and a row of last month values in the traffic monitor after getting sent back to the initial setup page.

By any chance you had traffic monitor enabled?

Message 3 of 14
Highlighted
Luminary

Yes, some Settings, Max bytes limit, for example.

Why do you ask?

DLB
Message 4 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

Do you have traffic meter enabled right now? If so does the traffic statistics values display correctly or they all zeros?

Because in another thread Netgear Nighthawk R9000, super fast but loses settings

the thread starter also mentioned he had traffic meter enabled and he lost all the router settings too. He had the issue were the traffic statistics values were showing zero. An issue I was facing too as I saw last night. And in my case I decided to reboot the router just to see what happens and I lost all my settings.

So far between you, me and the other thread starter who had the router settings reset had traffic meter on. This may not mean having the traffic meter enabled is causing the issue, but it does show in real time that the settings reset problem is triggering the traffic statistics values to reset to zero. I say real time because last night I was running a number of speedtests to see if the statistic values would change and saw numbers in the "last month" row would change but fall back to zero.

Currently I have traffic meter disabled but cannot reboot the router to just see if the settings will stick or reset. Did you try to reboot your router after restoring your config to see if it sticks or not?

Message 5 of 14
Highlighted
Luminary

Actually L1 asked me to try and reproduce the problem and I used my usual "Test to Destruction"* methodology...

• Unplug / Replug power 5 times with 5 second interval

• Unplug / Replug power 5 times with 2 second interval

• Unplug / Replug power 5 times with 1 second interval

No dice, Settings intact. I speculated that because the R9000 was attached to a UPS, it was because of a low voltage / low amperage condition.

Now that you have broached the traffic metering tie in, this puts us in a whole other ballpark.

And yes, to answer your other question my stats all show zero now, even 36 odd hours after the initial event. But I checked most of the Settings panels, the ones I cared about are intact. Strangely though, I had Plex turned off (100% certain), yet now it is turned on, but it indicates no valid Plex image is available on the server!? That can't be right.

I will mention your thoughts to L1 support.

-----------------------

* Picked up this phrase from a Keith Laumer novela of the same name, though I am sure it is common.

DLB
Message 6 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

So you're getting zero values too. Interesting so there's consitancy there.

It's good to know the settings are sticking. I plan to reboot the router later tonight to see if the settings stick for me. I may even reset back to factory and restore the backup config file to check if that is working too.

Plex is disabled for me and no USB drive is connected.

Message 7 of 14
Highlighted
Master

There is no wonder way there are issue's with the r9000 is a computer with wireless radios fro it quad core cpu powerful enough to run windows xp and trying to be a plex server at the same time there had to be some missed in the bugging point but it should turn out to a very good router if the issues are addressed over time.

Message 8 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

Small update.

Rebooted the router and settings stuck. Did not reset.

Enabled traffic meter and ran a speedtest. Refreshed the stastics and saw no zero numbers that did not reset.

Disabled traffic meter.

Performed a over the top update to the beta FW 1.0.2.18.

Inital setup set page displayed after the update.

Restored config settings at the setup page sucessfully.

Haven't tried anything else. Performing the FW update and seeing the inital setup page was discouraging, but at least I was able to restore the settings this time. To note the failed restore settings I did yesterday was done in Administration -> Backup settings.

And something else to wonder. If I didn't enable and disable traffic meter and jumped straight to performing the FW update would it still end up at the initial setup page or go back to the router status page.

Message 9 of 14
Highlighted
Luminary

Off topic, but where does one get the beta firmware? I'm seeing a lot of weird problems like:

• Repeated, very frequent DHCP assignments in the logs to embedded devices (Roku, Apple TV, iPhone, etc)

• Unexplained power drop offs in the 5GHz band, especially on low channels.

Anyone experiencing these or heard of such?

DLB
Message 10 of 14
Highlighted
Guru

@Tonkinite wrote:

Off topic, but where does one get the beta firmware?

Go to the community Nighthawk WiFi Router "root" -> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

On the top of the list you find some "featured" posts, including the R9000 Beta Firmware 1.0.2.18 entry. 

Message 11 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

• Repeated, very frequent DHCP assignments in the logs to embedded devices (Roku, Apple TV, iPhone, etc)

I've seen this in the logs but not sure if the devices are actually roaming around and switching between my extender and APs.

So over an hour ago I got a call that the power went out at home while I was out. Came home to hear that "couldn't get on the internet". I come and check the router and all the lights are back on so all the settings got reset again.

My 1200VA UPS with batteries replaced about two months ago shouldn't have gone flat for the ~4 minute power outage duration from what I heard when I have my computer set to shutoff right after a minute being on battery and nothing else is on.

Message 12 of 14
Highlighted
Master

@short_lurker wrote:

I've seen this in the logs but not sure if the devices are actually roaming around and switching between my extender and APs.

So over an hour ago I got a call that the power went out at home while I was out. Came home to hear that "couldn't get on the internet". I come and check the router and all the lights are back on so all the settings got reset again.

My 1200VA UPS with batteries replaced about two months ago shouldn't have gone flat for the ~4 minute power outage duration from what I heard when I have my computer set to shutoff right after a minute being on battery and nothing else is on.

Would all is on the ups from I saw in the posting a computer and what else a computer should not drain the ups so fast even a router with the computer would have more run time I guess the computer has a cable from the ups to a serial or usb port to the computer to control the shutdown of the computer.

So what all is the ups powering 1200 watts is easy to reach with all the added devices of today?

The router should not lost it's set up details even if you had no ups in the first place the setting should be saved in the nvram of the router it is like the boot program can not read the ram for some reason could due to the ram it's self or firmware or other hardware issue.

If you could read the boot log of the router next time before you reprogram it again you may see the problem in the logs.

Message 13 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yeah I enabled "Start Debug Log Capture when boot up" in the debug page  to capture information at the start.

I also did a powercycle with the physical switch and the settings didn't get erased that time.

Message 14 of 14