Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R9000 router password recovery does not work

sandymar123
Tutor

R9000 router password recovery does not work

I forgot my admin password to the router.  The router is functioning properly but I want to get into admin.  I used the password recovery feature which I did set and I answered the 2 easy questions.  The router does not accept what I know are correct answers.

What do I do now?  I have numerous devices, cameras, etc connected to this router with all of their settings and I am concerned that if your response is to do a hard reset, that it will mess up all of my devices....

Thanks for assistance!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

The issue with the password recovery is if you didn't set it up, it still asks the questions but there's no correct answer. So it doesn't let you recover the password. 

so if you don't know the password or didn't setup password recovery, factory reset might be your only option back in. 

If your devices don't have any special settings and you're just worried about them reconnecting, I frequently switch routers and so long as you use the same ssid/password, mine have auto-connected. 

Message 2 of 6
sandymar123
Tutor

Thank you for your response. I recall that the person who originally assisted me in setting up the software for my cameras needed to do some port forwarding. Do you think I will lose those cameras with the hard reset?
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

tough to say if you will or not. Maybe...

Again, it depends on why it needed port forwarding. 

I've got several security cameras and haven't needed to a single port forward

Message 4 of 6
sandymar123
Tutor

thanks for your help!  Happy Holidays and stay safe!

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Good luck!
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements