R9000 slows down and requires multiple daily reboots

kjones6160
Initiate

R9000 slows down and requires multiple daily reboots

I've been having problems with my R9000 X10 router slowing down to the point that my Gigabit home network and internet becomes unusable until I reboot it multiple times per day.  Upon reboot everything is back to normal internet speed of 180 Mbps down/10 Mbps up.  As the hours go by the router slows down to around 15 Mbps down/2 Mbps up until I reboot it. 

I've downgraded the firmware to as many as 6 versions old...made no difference.  I've now flashed it with the latest Voxel firmware v1.0.4.29HF-HW after reading conversations about Voxel being so much more stable than the buggy Netgear factory firmware...no improvement...router slows to a crawl and has to be rebooted as many as 5 times a day.

I've already disabled QoS, Smart Connect, the Guest network, and everything else that I can think of to "dumb down" the router as much as possible for troubleshooting.  However, the slowdown problem persists.  I even had my ISP check my service connection and they did find excessive noise on the connect and fixed it by installing new cable from the street to the house.  I now have the best internet speed I've ever had (180 down/12 up) which exceeds what I pay for (150 down/10 up).  I do use lots of bandwidth monthly (pushing my1TB monthly limit) downloading/streaming movies and stuff.  My local LAN has about 23 devices connected via Cat5e cable and wireless.  We locally stream movies across wireless connections from a NAS to Smart TVs and when the router starts slowing down the HD or UHD movies stop playing until I reboot the router.

This is very frustrating because I upgraded to the Netgear R9000 due to the glowing reviews of it being a real "beast" for home networking.  My ongoing experience is truly "beastly" but for all the wrong reasons and I've tried everything I can think of to resolve the repeated router slowdowns every day but nothing has worked.

I don't want to revert back to my old but trouble-free Asus router so I need a fix for this Netgear R9000.   Any other ideas to try would be appreciated.  

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
jsn715
Aspirant

Re: R9000 slows down and requires multiple daily reboots

i feel you !! all ports hardwired connection gets disconected after certain hours,all wifi connections are stable  i have to unplug the router to resovle this issue,whic has been very often 2-3x per week ..R9000 Firmware Version 1.0.4.28

heres my setup on youtubee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMQ555izIgg

Message 2 of 3
kjones6160
Initiate

Re: R9000 slows down and requires multiple daily reboots

I'm not losing all connections but rather the router just bogs down to the point that LAN and WAN become so slow that it's unusable until I reboot the R9000.  My internet service package from my ISP allows 150 down/10 up and the router begins to slow down after several hours to about 20 down/3 up and my gigabit home network becomes so slow I can't transfer a file between computers or copy a file from a PC to my NAS.  But a reboot of the router restores full speed to the internet as well as local resources on my home LAN.  I'm having to reboot the router 3-4 times PER DAY!  This has been going on for months and is extremely frustrating.  Flashing the firmware from Netgear's OEM version to the latest Voxel firmware version made NO difference so firmware doesn't appear to be the issue.  I do stream a lot of movies over my local LAN's wi-fi (not the internet) from my NAS to wireless connected Smart TV's or wireless blu-ray players so I don't know at this point if the R9000's RAM or CPU resources are degrading over time but when the network slows down to a crawl and HD/4k movie playback starts buffering due to network throughput a simple reboot of the router restores service.  However, with such an expensive router this throughput slowdown should not be happening at all.  So far, I've found no resolution for the bottlenecking and Netgear Support is completely useless and there's nothing I've found in the community posts either to address it.  I'm SOOOO tired of reading articles that tell me to just REBOOT the router...This is NOT A SOLUTION in my book.  I want to determine the root cause of the router problem and implement a permanent fix but noone seems to have any useful answer other than a reboot.  This is CRAP!!!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements