neo1981
Apprentice

R9000 stopped working and auto reset on reboot?

I have Netgear X10/ R9000 and it's been working mostly fine since I got it last year.

Earlier this evening, my wifi suddenly stopped working. The modem seemed to be OK (all lights on) so I tried soft rebooting the router via the mobile app, but I couldn't log onto the genie app. I, then, unplugged the device. At that point I noticed that my router was reset to factory settings. I had to restore from a saved configuration file to get it back up and running.

I checked and it does have the latest firmware and auto update is also on. Not sure if it matters, but I run a Plex server off of the router too and I had just finished uploading new content on it, minutes before the incident occurred.

Anyone else experience this or know how to figure out what happened? I'd like to prevent this from happening in the future.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Re: R9000 stopped working and auto reset on reboot?

As you have a router, there should be a modem of some sort on the network, you might try restarting the whole network.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 15
Shakumdown
Guide

The exact same thing occurred last week to my R9000, however, I am not running a Plex server.  All configuration details were reset to default settings and could not determine why everything reset to default.  I had to reconfigure my R9000 from scratch...  Hope this issue does not repeat itself.

Message 3 of 15
neo1981
Apprentice

Do you have auto update on? I have it on. I wonder if it was trying to update itself and wiped it clean mistakenly? Good to know that mine wasn't an isolated case. 

Message 4 of 15

@Shakumdown wrote:

I had to reconfigure my R9000 from scratch... 

That is what backup is for. See page 90 in the manual for the R9000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Nighthawk X10 R9000 | AD7200 Smart WiFi Router| NETGEAR Support <<<<

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 15
Shakumdown
Guide

The point is that, why would the router reset to default on it’s own. Customers should not be expected to restore a backup just because the router resets itself to default, periodically. That’s unacceptable to have this sort of activity become the norm.
Message 6 of 15
Shakumdown
Guide

Yes, I had auto-update on, but that should not be a reason to expect the settings to reset to default, even if the manufacture states this sort of thing is normal. It’s just unacceptable to have this type of device to function this way. Way too much money spent for this level of performance.
Message 7 of 15
neo1981
Apprentice

Yes @Shakumdown agreed with both pts. I've had other issues with this router too (like IPv6 dropping, etc.) unfortunately, it's out of the return window. Pretty buggy for an expensive device! I really hope Netgear is listening to this feedback. 

Message 8 of 15

@Shakumdown wrote:
The point is that, why would the router reset to default on it’s own.

It should not do that. Yours is a rare mention of this behaviour.

@Shakumdown wrote:
Customers should not be expected to restore a backup just because the router resets itself to default, periodically.

They don't. Settings very rarely reset themselves.

But it is insane not to use the safety tools that are available to you. In this case not just to protect yourself from a random reset, but to give you a way out of any mistakes that you may make in setting up your devices.

There is no need to maintain a backup of your essential data or your PC's operating system, but only a fool avoids those essential safety measures.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 15
jg254
Aspirant

I have 2 of the R9000 routers (one at home, one at work) and they have both reset to default several times in the last few weeks.  Two different setups. There is something wrong with this firmware version.  I hope they fix in the next update.  Luckily I had backups for both configurations but still a pain in the ass.

Message 10 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@jg254 wrote:

I have 2 of the R9000 routers (one at home, one at work) and they have both reset to default several times in the last few weeks.  Two different setups.

Plex Media Server enabled and in use, as well as IPv6 in production on both?

@jg254 wrote:

There is something wrong with this firmware version.  I hope they fix in the next update.  Luckily I had backups for both configurations but still a pain in the ass.

Agree, there is no reason the device does factory reset on it's own. Does "this firmware version" translate to 1.0.3.10?

Netgear has some newer builds since (1.0.3.16) as Beta candidates.

Release notes:

l   (new) upgrade opensource dnsmasq to v2.78 (fixes CVE-2017-14491)

l   (enhancement) system stability improvement

l   (fixes) fix some more security issues

These are not publicly available, I'm not Netgear and so I'm not in the position to share. Kind of clueless on how Netgear Consumer Business Unit does intend to handle this kind of issues and complaints. Matter of fact, we see that the paid Netgear moderators here not even pick up these issues here in the community.

My complaint emails (covering many other issues in the Nighthawk family beyond of the R9000/R8900) to a bigger list of qualified recipients are not even answered for months. While I'm glad to help out I'm afraid, it is not my destiny to become an intermediate in this game. I'm seriously considering to boycott these Home sections if the Netgear Consuer Business Units does not change the attitue - however this would hurt many Netgear customers who deserve assistance. 

Message 11 of 15
neo1981
Apprentice

My experience with Netgear has been pretty similar to yours. I created a support ticket starting with the IPv6 problem last year. And, it took them over 3 months to provide a beta fix and then another 3 months for the final one. It seemed like a very basic feature that wasn't working correctly and that too on a fairly expensive/ high end router. I tried to return the device to Amazon, but neither Amazon nor Netgear would take it back. I just wish their support team was on top of these things. 

I've had other issues with Arlo cameras as well. All in all, I think is my last purchase with Netgear. 

Message 12 of 15
Shakumdown
Guide

My R9000 performed another reset to default settings, which occurred overnight.  The only configuration setting that appeared to stay correct, was the Ethernet Port Aggregation. This problem appears to be a common routine for many R9000 owners. 

Message 13 of 15
JackB123
Aspirant

I'm in the same boat.  Every time a reboot the router (or we lose power), it goes back to defauly router settings.  This is crazy!  I just switch to Netgear after being an ASUS router guy for a very long time and I very much hope they fix the firmware on this VERY expensive product ASAP.  I've been happy with the router performance, but this might be a dealbreaker.

Does Netgear actually montitor any of these boards to see this feedback?

Jack

Model: R8900|Nighthawk X10—AD7000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 14 of 15
Shakumdown
Guide

I disabled Quality of Service (“QoS”) and that helped resolve the frequent reboots. Every now and then, the unit does seem to stop the WiFi connection, but no where near as bad as the problem I was originally experiencing.
I hope that helps.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements