Re: R9000 v1.0.4.28 - Carrot and Stick

sygibson
Tutor

ABSOLUTELY NOT.  I just spent 2 hours fighting with my Netgear Nighthawk R9000 and external Motorola MB8600 Ultra Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem.  I upgraded from 1.0.4.26 to .28.  The upgrade went smoothly.  But on reboot of the WiFi router, no Internet connection was estabilshed.  I went through the usual pain of unplugging LAN ports and plugging them back in, powering off the WiFi router and back on.  Powering WiFi Off, Motorola Off, wait 1 minute, then Motorola on, wait 10 mins, then Wifi ON ... 3 times.

I gave up and connected my personal cellular hotspot, downloaded the 1.0.4.26 version, backrevved the WifI Router, then went through 3 more power off/wait/power on cycles before the WiFi router would finally acquire connection to ISP.

ABSOLUTELY NOT SAFE FOR CONSUMPTION.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 26 of 29
sygibson
Tutor

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE FIRMWARE 1.0.4.28.  I just spent 2 hours fighting with my Netgear Nighthawk R9000 and external Motorola MB8600 Ultra Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem.  I upgraded from 1.0.4.26 to .28.  The upgrade went smoothly.  But on reboot of the WiFi router, no Internet connection was estabilshed.  I went through the usual pain of unplugging LAN ports and plugging them back in, powering off the WiFi router and back on.  Powering WiFi Off, Motorola Off, wait 1 minute, then Motorola on, wait 10 mins, then Wifi ON ... 3 times.

I gave up and connected my personal cellular hotspot, downloaded the 1.0.4.26 version, backrevved the WifI Router, then went through 3 more power off/wait/power on cycles before the WiFi router would finally acquire connection to ISP.

Message 27 of 29
sygibson
Tutor

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE 1.0.4.28.  I just spent 2 hours fighting with my Netgear Nighthawk R9000 and external Motorola MB8600 Ultra Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem.  I upgraded from 1.0.4.26 to .28.  The upgrade went smoothly.  But on reboot of the WiFi router, no Internet connection was estabilshed.  I went through the usual pain of unplugging LAN ports and plugging them back in, powering off the WiFi router and back on.  Powering WiFi Off, Motorola Off, wait 1 minute, then Motorola on, wait 10 mins, then Wifi ON ... 3 times.

Message 28 of 29
Tyler818
Aspirant

Thanks for the warning.

I was going to take a chance and update anyways since I'm using Fiber w/ vlans via an ONT device and not a Modem but.......when I went to update the firmware I realized I was already running version v1.0.4.28?

I doublechecked to make sure I did not have "automatically udpate firmware" checked.

I checked my notes and I've been running this since 3/21/19...no idea why Netgear emailed me telling me to upgrade today.....

Haven't had any trouble with connection to ISP just really bad 2.4Ghz stability that took a lot of trial and error and even more dailing back of the various wifi features and settngs that provided much better coverage, speed and stability on v1.0.4.26.

Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E