R9000 won't provide internet in one room despite full WiFi connectivity.

chrishigh
Aspirant

R9000 won't provide internet in one room despite full WiFi connectivity.

Latest firmware, reletavily new setup. My internet is strong and consistent 240mbps, as is my wifi signal throughout the house. But in the living room, despite FULL BARS showing on the WiFi reception, all transmission just stops. I have my router in the most ideal place I can think of, with only one normal wall between the router and the bad room. Meanwhile, our bedroom two floors up and on the opposite side of the house receives the connection fine, we even watch HD video on a tv up there every night!

Stumped on how to deal with this, I even bought an AC750 Netgear Range Extender. I have it set up to use the same SSID name so we wouln't have to switch up, and put it in the trouble room. But it hasn't made a difference - it too has a really hard time receiving any internet signal (no matter where in the house it is actually, seems like junk to me). Funny thing is, it's hard to even GET my devices to switch to it, because even in the same room, my R9000's signal overpowers it!!!

The only think I can think of is interference from the TV, Nintendo Switch, or DirecTV box that are in there, and even those are all hardwired to ethernet. But if it WAS interference, wouldn't that show up as a hampered signal? I even used a 3rd party wifi sniffer and it shows a healthy connection, but we're always waving our phones around like we're trying to pick up a cell signal. One thing I've found helps on an iPhone is to turn off wifi, then turn it right back on. Is that a clue as to what;s happening?

Thanks in advance.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
chrishigh
Aspirant

Re: R9000 won't provide internet in one room despite full WiFi connectivity.

Pardon the typos, always a drag to find out a community board doesn't let you edit your posts Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 5

Is this 2.4 GHz wifi, 5 GHz, both?

Tried different channels?

That you get the same thing with a range extender suggests an interference problem.

Have you tried turning off all the stuff in that room to see if things get better?

At least that would confirm your hypothesis.

@chrishigh wrote:

Pardon the typos, always a drag to find out a community board doesn't let you edit your posts Smiley Tongue

I use the spell checker to get the nastiest typos.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 5
myersw
Master

I agree with Sensei. Devices can sometimes put out radiation at the frequency used by wireless. This could be by design or possibly defective, but not obvious from how it is working. Microwave ovens, when running, are famous for causing wireless issues. Bluetooth devices can cause issues on the 2.4g band. So I would start, as stated above, with shutting down all devices and just for good measure anything that might be in adjoining rooms, or overhead or lower level as could have leakage from there. If the extender does not work then I do not have a clue what the issue could be unless room has an outside wall and something on the other side of it. Where I live we have electric meters that broadcast that some folks say makes them sick for example. 

Good luck with the hunting. In any case I do not believe it is a faulty router. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 5

@myersw wrote:

Microwave ovens, when running, are famous for causing wireless issues. . 

DECT phones are also said to cause problems.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E