Highlighted

R9000

I paid to much money and my router is dropping.
It normally drops if a device joins my network or it just drops.
HELP HELP HELP HELP
ISP: SPECTRUM 3.1 DOCIS
MODEM
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 42
Highlighted
Guru

Re: R9000

What firmware are you on?

Are you using smart connection?

Is it wifi signal dropping and is 2.4ghz dropping, 5ghz dropping, are both dropping? 

Is it the ethernet dropping?

Device/devices dropping?

We need more details than what you listed. As well as what you've tried to get it working?

CAX80-> RBK53-> GS716v2-> TP-Link M9Plus
Message 2 of 42
Highlighted

v1.0.4.34

yes on smart connect

dropping both  ghz

my devices are dropping (I'm online now and then I might add a device, and I'll have to reboot the router) 

The reason I know that my internet is out because my Arlo will stop working also.) *if that helps any!

I'm just trying to keep my internet up and running. 

I have a business I have to run. NO internet no business! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 42
Highlighted
Guru

It sounds like you're on the most recent firmware.

Did you update over a hardwired connection? Any time you update its best to update over a hardwired connection and to reset afterward. If you didn't do it this way, I'd recommend starting there.

Arlo needs to be connected with a hardwired connection. If ethernet and wifi are dropping, I'd definitly start with redoing the firmare. 

How old is the device?

Message 4 of 42
Highlighted

1 year old 

When you say? Did you update over a hardwired connection? All I did was pull up my netgear and It said that I had an update and I clicked on it. I didn't unplug anything from the router I just let the firm ware update. 

Message 5 of 42
Highlighted
Guru

Try doing a manual firmware update with a ethernet connected device. 

so manually download the firmware, extract, and manually install it. The manual walks you through how to. After installing it, reset the device.

If you're still having issues after this and they didn't start until after you updated the firmware, try downgrading the firmware to an older version. Sometimes the latest firmware has bugs and can cause issues. You can find the older firmware under the download section "+view previous versions". Again, do it over an ethernet connected device and reset the router afterward. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R9000

Message 6 of 42
Highlighted

Hey I want to thank you for working with me on this! I'm being cool for now, but I'm just upset that a $400 hardware is not working and netgear is not helping. Unless you work for netgear??? 

Message 7 of 42
Highlighted
Guru

Nope, I don't work for Netgear. Its rare to find someone on the community forums who does.  its just people trying to help out.

It does suck when $400 equipment stops working. its a problem a lot of router companies are having as the routers get more complex, the software gets more complex. Its not just isolated to Netgear. 

Message 8 of 42
Highlighted

Did it 

Message 9 of 42
Highlighted
Guru

Hopefully it works for you. 

did you downgrade or just do the reinstall and reset?

Message 10 of 42
Highlighted

downgraded first 

then upgraded

Message 11 of 42
Highlighted
Guru

If it doesn't work, just downgrade and leave it at that one. Sometimes the most recent firmware has bugs. You wouldn't be the first person on here that the most recent firmware caused issues with. 

Message 12 of 42
Highlighted

But this has been going on before the upgrade!

How about this when I purchased the router I also upgrade my modem from Spectrum. Should I look into returning the modem for another one? Just asking! 

Message 13 of 42
Highlighted
Guru

What modem model number is it?

Message 14 of 42
Highlighted

e31t2v1 (spectrum modem)

Message 15 of 42
Highlighted

Did you get it?

I'll leave you alone. you have done more then enough.

Message 16 of 42
Highlighted
Luminary

Many of the bells and whistles features on the newer routers cause more problems than they solve.  In particular with modern ISP services.  They are features that are often turned on by default in the firmware.

Recommend your shut off (disable) the following:

Smart Connect

20/40 MHz Coexistance

MU-MIMO

QoS

UPnP

Power your router off, wait a few minutes and power it back up.

Message 17 of 42
Highlighted
Guru

Sorry not at home right now. If the downgrade didn't work try what the prior suggestions.
Message 18 of 42
Highlighted
Guru

When you'd said, the way you know the internet is out is the Arlo quits working. Is it the same with the other devices? They are connect but the internet not working?  Or do they truly lose wifi connection?

We need to figure out if it is indeed a router problem or if its a modem issue. If everything stays connected to the wifi but the internet isn't working, it could be a modem isssue. 

How many times a day is it happening?

Can you hook up to the modem directly (reboot it) with a computer and test speeds and stability?

I would normally tell people to log into the modem and look up connections info and take a snip to post back here. I was looking online for that model number and it seems to be a pain to access the gui to get connections info. You might have to contact spectrum and have them check out the modem for you if it does turn out to be a modem issue. 

Message 19 of 42
Highlighted

Yes it is the same with other device. One of the family memebers would say "The internet is out again."

I look right at the arlo base and sure enough no internet.

How many times does it happen 4 some times 5 times a day it depends.

I have called them and they always say that the line looks good on this end.

How would I log into my modem?

Give me a few on the pix with the modem! (work on it)

Message 20 of 42
Highlighted
Guru

Still clarifying. You say the internet's not working. But is the wifi connected to your devices still? 

We're trying to figure out where the failure happens at. So when you loose internet, are you still connected over wifi? Or if its a hardwired device, does it stay connected to the router?

Message 21 of 42

When I loose connection everything goes down. I cant even play ps4 nor cell phone apps.

Message 22 of 42
Highlighted
Guru

Sorry to sound like I'm repeating myself. My goal is to find out if the router is still broadcasting wifi and connecting but internet not working or if the wifi and ethernet is totally dropping.

Reason why is if the wifi is still broadcasting and connecting but internet not working, it could be a modem issue, dns issue, etc.  If the wifi isn't broadcasting AND the ethernet is going down, then its more likely to be a firmware issue or hardware problem. 

Message 23 of 42
Highlighted

If the wifi isn't broadcasting AND the ethernet is going down, then its more likely to be a firmware issue or hardware problem. 

I dont understand ?? when I loss connection I have to restart everything. modem and router

Message 24 of 42
Highlighted
Guru

When it goes down, if you do a wireless scan (before rebooting)

A. Are you connected to the wifi  and/or B. does the wifi show up as broadcasting?

Again, trying to find where the fault is. Just saying its going down doesn't help. 

I'd asked prior about your connections page on your modem. If you're having to reboot your modem it can possibly be an issue with the modem. I couldn't find much info on your modem but most modems have a default address of 192.168.100.1  

Message 25 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements