× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX10 router-remove and put old RAX20 back on

B1911
Aspirant

First, I am NOT vaguely informed on this.  Had an RAX20 that seemed to work fine.  Speed dropped from 150s to 90s and television pixlated suddenly.  Has happened before and was fixed on fiber optic provider's end by "rebuilding it on this end?."

Happened again, this time ran speed with it direct to PC instead of through RAX20, speed at 90s instead of 150s suddenly like last time.  Vexus says it's the router.  Buy new RAX10 today and hook up.  NO change.  90s. SO am going to return RAX10...but, this thing didn't come with a QR code and I just did the manual install from the app.  I am going to do a factory re-set and put old one back on.  It has a QR code sticker so SHOULD be fast. 

Anything else I need to do beyond re-set and re-install like do a factory re-set on the old router first, or just plug in and install like a new one? I keep thinking I'll run into something that won't let me reinstall it.

TIA 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
B1911
Aspirant

I just wanted to close this out and thank everyone.  After a couple of attempts to get me to buy faster service, I closed out my comms with the tech people at Vexus.  I told them everything I read said this should be more than enough.  My Cat 6 cable to the wall box nets me the  speed that they said they "could not understand how I'm getting" and my television his displayed no more problems.  Today a speed test showed  151/159.  I don't know if it is the cable, but since that is the only change....

I am most appreciative.  

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX10 router-remove and put old RAX20 back on

What modem/gateway is it connected to?

Did you check your wan port statistics to ensure you're connecting at gigabit speed? 

How do I display Internet port statistics on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Also, are you using smart connect? 2.4ghz is a much slower network than 5ghz and the 90mbps is much more inline with what it'll get over 2.4ghz on AX

Message 2 of 6
B1911
Aspirant

The wire runs from the back of the Wi-Fi to the computer and at this point, I can't find what type of modem it is, it does not show up on the settings where I pull up the modem and click on the tab-nothing.  So I guess that means "internal?"

As to stats, following your link, the WAN shows 1000M/Full.  I found where the "smart connect" slider button was...it was off, I turned it one.  I notice the new router has the 5g and other connection under ONE name instead of two like the previous router. 

I appreciate your help, it's beyond me to really see how this applies but I'm going to try to reply in case I'm not doing something right.  I'm now thinking of just retaining the newer router as it shows like a 1200 mbps compared to older one.  I just don't know, but I do not think this is a router problem...I have been getting 150/140 speeds steadily till now, and Vexus seems to think a 400 plan is needed this time. 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@B1911 wrote:

The wire runs from the back of the Wi-Fi to the computer and at this point, I can't find what type of modem it is, it does not show up on the settings where I pull up the modem and click on the tab-nothing. ----Whatever is providing internet to the RAX router is the modem/gateway. So whatever is plugged into the routers WAN port is the modem.  So I guess that means "internal?"

As to stats, following your link, the WAN shows 1000M/Full.  I found where the "smart connect" slider button was...it was off, I turned it one.  I notice the new router has the 5g and other connection under ONE name instead of two like the previous router. ----correct. It combine the 2 (2.4ghz and 5ghz ) signals and bandsteers between them as needed. If you disable it, then you can select between the ssid you have for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz. This lets you check the speed on both bands. 

I appreciate your help, it's beyond me to really see how this applies but I'm going to try to reply in case I'm not doing something right.  I'm now thinking of just retaining the newer router as it shows like a 1200 mbps compared to older one.  I just don't know, but I do not think this is a router problem...I have been getting 150/140 speeds steadily till now, and Vexus seems to think a 400 plan is needed this time. 

Message 4 of 6
B1911
Aspirant

Well, for now I think I'm going to keep the newer router, it appears to be faster or capable or handling more...and according to Vexus, I need 400 Mbps service instead of 150.  BUT I'm not buying that right now as everything I'm reading when I do a search on how much I need indicates I don't.  I also ran the next level of cable (6?) wall box to router in case that makes a difference.  The ISP says they "don't see how I was getting 140-150 Mbps but I was, their tech was the one who sped it up.  

Again, thank you for the help but I'm sort of holding to see what happens next.  I don't like the upsale bit when it was fixed without it before, makes me wonder if they are choking down my speed.  

Message 5 of 6
B1911
Aspirant

I just wanted to close this out and thank everyone.  After a couple of attempts to get me to buy faster service, I closed out my comms with the tech people at Vexus.  I told them everything I read said this should be more than enough.  My Cat 6 cable to the wall box nets me the  speed that they said they "could not understand how I'm getting" and my television his displayed no more problems.  Today a speed test showed  151/159.  I don't know if it is the cable, but since that is the only change....

I am most appreciative.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7