Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 Multi-Gig Port to 2.5Gbps on Sagmecom F@st 3896 - limited to 1Gbps?

Simple_AK
Tutor

RAX200 Multi-Gig Port to 2.5Gbps on Sagmecom F@st 3896 - limited to 1Gbps?

Hello Community,

My ISP now provides 2Gbps speed.  They provided a Sagemcom F@st 3896 cable modem that has a 2.5Gbps port.

I have a 2.5Gbps USB-C ethernet adapter that I used for plugging my laptop directly into the 2.5Gbps port on the cable modem.  In that scenario, I'm getting speeds of about 1.5Gbps.  I used a Cat6 patch cable.

When I connect my new RAX200, via the Multi-Gig Port, to the same 2.5Gbps LAN port on my cable modem (in bridge mode) using a Cat6 patch cable, my speed test in the Nighthawk's web interface (in QoS settings), shows about 940Mbps.  The RAX200 is set to have the WAN preference as Multi-Gig Port (2.5/1Gbps).

I can't figure out why I'm not getting comparable speeds from the RAX200 when testing via the web interface at 192.168.1.1 as I did with my laptop directly connected to the cable modem.  I believe the speed test under QoS is testing the speed of the router's connection directly to the ISP and not that of my particular networked device, such as my laptop.  Correct?  QoS is disabled by the way.

I feel like something is limiting my RAX200 to 1Gbps...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

Don't use the built-in speed test in the Web UI or the app. It's inaccurate. Use a speed testing website, there are plenty of them

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. like @microchip8 says. don't use the built in speedtest app. It rarely will even max out a 1gig connection. Much less a 2gig. It why I recommend using a wired in device at speeds over 500mbps. Under that speed, the built in test is usually fine. 

2. Problem with that is, the RAX200 only has the 1x 2.5gig port. All the other ports are 1gig. So if you connect a pc/laptop to the lan ports, you're going to end up with the 1gig max connection. It does support lan port aggregation that you can connect to and try. Otherwise you're limited to trying to speedtest using more than 1 device at a time. 

3. Even if you do manage to either use lan port aggregation to test or using more than 1 device at a time, I haven't found a speedtest site that is reliable at over 1 gig speeds. My isp supports up to 1.2 gig and sometimes their site will hit 1.0, other times it'll hit 1.2. And I've tried a few other sites and its pretty variable over that 1 gig speeds. So you might need to try a few different test sites and even servers on those sites to saturate the connection. 

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the NightHawk RAX WiFi 6 Router products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with NH router products and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/bd-p/en-home-routers-nighthawk-wif...

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

@Simple_AK wrote:

Hello Community,

My ISP now provides 2Gbps speed.  They provided a Sagemcom F@st 3896 cable modem that has a 2.5Gbps port.

I have a 2.5Gbps USB-C ethernet adapter that I used for plugging my laptop directly into the 2.5Gbps port on the cable modem.  In that scenario, I'm getting speeds of about 1.5Gbps.  I used a Cat6 patch cable.

When I connect my new RAX200, via the Multi-Gig Port, to the same 2.5Gbps LAN port on my cable modem (in bridge mode) using a Cat6 patch cable, my speed test in the Nighthawk's web interface (in QoS settings), shows about 940Mbps.  The RAX200 is set to have the WAN preference as Multi-Gig Port (2.5/1Gbps).

I can't figure out why I'm not getting comparable speeds from the RAX200 when testing via the web interface at 192.168.1.1 as I did with my laptop directly connected to the cable modem.  I believe the speed test under QoS is testing the speed of the router's connection directly to the ISP and not that of my particular networked device, such as my laptop.  Correct?  QoS is disabled by the way.

I feel like something is limiting my RAX200 to 1Gbps...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh

Message 4 of 5
Simple_AK
Tutor

Thank you so much, everyone!  I'll repost in the other forum.  Regadless, all of the advice provided is super helpful.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7