× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX45 My wifi is slower

dennis1888
Follower

RAX45 My wifi is slower

IMy question...sould I disable my werizon wifi now that I have Highthawk working? have a Verizon router with wifi that is slow. I purchased the Nighthawk to improve my wifi. My wifi is slower. Think that runningboth wifi's is not a good idea. I can disable the Verizon WiFi? Dennis1888
Message 1 of 2
Razor512
Prodigy

Re: RAX45 My wifi is slower

If you have a verizon router, then one of the first things to check is which type of service are you using. Do you have verizon fios TV service along with Internet?

If you have an internet only plan, or internet and phone plan, you can completely get rid of the Verizon router as even their newer ones are pretty bad in terms of long term performance consistency.

If you have verizon fios TV, then the best overall setup is to have the fios ONT connected via Ethernet to your Netgear router, then on the verizon fios router, set its LAN IP to something other than 192.168.1.1, for example, set it to 192.168.1.2, then disable the DHCP and WiFi on the verizon router.

After that, connect an Ethernet cable from a LAN port (NOT the WAN port) of the verizon router, to a LAN port on the Netgear router.

That will turn the fios router into essentially a MoCA to Ethernet bridge so that the verizon set top boxes can get their guide data and on-demand content.

PS it is often not good to have 2 WiFi APs very close together, it will instantly ruin your ability to do 40MHz channel width on the 2.4GHz band without lots of interference issues, while causing interference on the 5GHz band with no benefit (especially if you have the Verizon G3100 ). 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7