× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX50 AX5400

Retired_Member
Not applicable

RAX50 AX5400

Just upgraded from C7000 version 1 combo to this router and I expected a bit more. Actually a slight reduction in speed. But my question is does the claim "supports up to 25 devices" limit connection to that number or what? I had and have 23 including the non wi-fi devices. 

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX50 AX5400

sorry, its only worth it if your speeds are LESS THAN 250mbps. 

So if you have gig service, leave it disabled. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

where are you seeing "supports up to 25 devices"?

Do you have any AX devices? you won't really see a speed increase moving from AC to AX unless you have an AX device. It does have more consistent speed because its able to broadcast to more than 1 device at a time but it isn't necessarily going to be faster. 

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Product info:

6-Stream AX5400 WiFi 6 Router provides speeds up to 5.4Gbps so you can connect, stream, and download faster to newer mobile devices. Powerful 1.5GHz triple-core processor ensures superior performance for concurrent real-time applications such as mulitmedia streaming, online gaming, and audio/video chats. Engineered to deliver up to 4 times the data capacity over previous standards, WiFi 6 technology with OFDMA, 160MHz channel support, and 1024 QAM vastly improves network efficiency. High-powered amplifiers increase range for reliable whole home network. This next-gen router is recommended for medium to large homes, suitable for up to 25 connected devices.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

You can have more than 25 connected device. Its basically just what their using to classify when to move to a bigger/better device. 

IoT devices and lower bandwidth devices aren't going to use much data and hardly impact your system. 

for instance, I was running a RBK53 system with over 50 wireless devices. But there wasn't much impact because around 15-20 of those were switches/bulbs/etc. 

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you. It is best practice to enable QoS?

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

It depends on what speeds you pay for. There isn't much benefit at >250mbps speeds. 

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I am upgrading to Spectrum 1G (940mbps). The appointment is in 10 days. I will enable it then.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

sorry, its only worth it if your speeds are LESS THAN 250mbps. 

So if you have gig service, leave it disabled. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7