Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 Breaks With Reserved IP Addresses?

Gadgetjq
Aspirant

RAX80 Breaks With Reserved IP Addresses?

RAX80. I recently went on a 'tidy up' binge and reserved IP addresses for all of my iot devices (Echo, smart plugs etc). I already had reservations for a half dozen or so items (printer, nas, computers, tivo). After rebooting the router I discovered none of my devices 'not' given a reserved (static?) address would connect to the router and even some that 'did' have a reservation (smart plugs) had trouble connecting.  The partial fix, un-reserve a few devices. Now a few things that wouldn't connect are ok but other items refuse. Full fix, un-reserve all but the original few devices. Suddenly everything connects again.
Is there some sort of limit to the number of reserved addresses or is this a quirk of this router?
The RAX80 is on the latest firmware 1.0.5.126_1.0.65
Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

How many reservations did you set in total? 

Static IPs are set ON devices and not on the router. Two different things. Reserved IPs are set ON the router. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 6
Gadgetjq
Aspirant

Hi Furry,
Thanks for the response.
 I set 29 IP reservations total from 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.229.  The router is set to be used as a DHCP server addresses 142-240.    With 98 IP addresses available I have 84 devices connected (about 1/3 of those wired).
I understand the difference between static and reservations.  I don't even think you 'can' create a static address for iot devices. 
Yes, the firmware update was followed by the router's normal reboot then I did a complete power off reboot.

As things stand now everything is working fine (and did before I reserved the batch of addresses).   I just can't figure out 'why' the reservations prevented so many other devices from connecting. 

I'm certainly open to any suggestions.
Cheers!

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 4 of 6
Gadgetjq
Aspirant

No.  I'm not ready to start from scratch for an issue that's solved by deleting reserved IP addresses. 
My question is simply is blocking new connections when more than a few IP addresses are reserved a quirk of this router?  If not what's the workaround.  It shouldn't require a factory reset.

Cheers!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Resets are a valid troubleshooting step.

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7