× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 problem connecting with work laptop

mmalevich
Aspirant

RAX80 problem connecting with work laptop

New to forums and no where else to go. I'm hoping someone can help me out with my router and connectivity with my work lapto.

Prior to setting up my new RAX80 my Dell Laptop had no problems finding and connecting to my old router.

When I purchased the RAX80 when pulling up available wireless connections, my Dell work computer does not identify that as an available option. This is the ONLY device this occurs with. It's not even listed as an option to select.

I've tried all the usual steps, unplugging, resetting, checking to see that it's not blocked somehow. Nothing seems to be working.

I'm pretty restricted on what settings I can toggle with from my work laptop so i'm hoping that it's something I can fix on my end. TIA for any advice or suggestions!

Matt

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
microchip8
Master

Re: RAX80 problem connecting with work laptop

Have you tried disabling the AX band?

Message 2 of 6
mmalevich
Aspirant

I just tried and it worked, thank you! I know nothing about that option, can you tell me what the downside is of doing that is?

Message 3 of 6
Hugesock
Initiate

I had the same issue with an Acer laptop, when I set up my router. Try looking at the Dell website for a newer driver for your laptops wireless network adapter, it helped in my case.
Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

Many dells use an intel wireless card. And the dell website and windows update don't have the most recent driver for it. 

Find out specifically what wireless card is in the laptop. Then go to that device manufacturer's website and get the driver. I know intel had issues with this and you had to get the driver directly from them to get the functional driver. 

Message 5 of 6
rheck56
Tutor

The AX setting is supposed to be backwards compatible so technically you "should not" have to disable it to get a connection on your work laptop. It does seems like a driver update is needed, easiest way is to use the intel driver update utillity, it will auto detect what drivers are out of date and allow you to update them. After you update your wifi driver, try and re-enable the AX wifi mode and see if you can connect.

One other note is that your network card on your laptop may be set to a specific wifi band, you can check this by going to control panel -> device manager -> networking adapter -> select your wifi adapter -> select "Advanced" then you can look at the prefered band as well as "wireless modes". 

For extra information you can read about all those settings you see in the advanced tab here - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki...

Hope this helps!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7