Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 - adding an outdoor Access Point

Bcovert
Tutor

RBR750 - adding an outdoor Access Point

Can I add an outdoor Access Point to one of my Satellites via Ethernet? If so what Netgear model?
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR750 - adding an outdoor Access Point

there isn't currently an outdoor satellite for the AX orbi's. And even the AC orbi that is outdoors, doesn't have an ethernet port. 

You could look at using a standard outdoor access point but it wouldn't integrate with orbi. 

Message 2 of 9
Bcovert
Tutor

Thanks. Can I daisy chain a 3rd satellite to one of the other two satellites? If so, then I would just put it in some sort of weather proof container. Just trying to get WiFi at my dock.
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

You can daisy chain.

https://kb.netgear.com/000048458/What-is-daisy-chain-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-Orbi-WiFi-System-o...

I would be a little careful about an enclosure. You still need some air movement to keep the unit cooled or it can over heat. And if its outdoors, that can create moisture. 

If you're just wanting coverage on your dock, you can use the old school RBS50Y and use it in extender mode. It won't integrate with the orbi but will work. 

You could also use the netgear airbridge. it has an extender mode and can run off ethernet. 

Message 4 of 9
Bcovert
Tutor

Thx. One last question does the RBR750 support a PoE hub? I cannot seem to find an answer online.
Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Not sure what you mean by a poe hub. 

Are you talking about connecting a switch to it with POE capabilities? 

Message 6 of 9
Bcovert
Tutor

Yes. I want to run an Ethernet cable from one of the satellites to the PoE switch and then run Ethernet another 200 ft.
Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

You can connect a poe switch to the satellite. The satellite won't power it but you can connect them. 

Message 8 of 9
wifiblues
Luminary

there isn't currently an outdoor satellite for the AX orbi's. And even the AC orbi that is outdoors, doesn't have an ethernet port. 

You could look at using a standard outdoor access point but it wouldn't integrate with orbi. 

hi there - just picking up on this post and curious what functionality would be lost by employing the Orbi outdoor satellite (RBSY50) with an AX RBK750 to gain coverage outdoors.

i have a weatherproof box and tested the RBS750 AX satellite inside - the issue i am finding is that the satellite appears as magenta on the app.  

I am also wondering if I can create a shell similar to the RBSY50 and insert the guts of the RBS750 into it!

Thanks

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7