Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

REDUCED WIFI SPEED with NETGEAR R7500

Duckdive
Aspirant

REDUCED WIFI SPEED with NETGEAR R7500

I am having troubles with my NETGEAR R7500. I upgraded to 110mps speed by am only getting speeds of around 54mps.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: REDUCED WIFI SPEED with NETGEAR R7500 - connection drops when hard wired to router.

Hi @Duckdive,

This is weird as other devices connected to the R7500 via ethernet does no have this issue and only this computer. Please try to update the driver of the LAN adapter. 

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: REDUCED WIFI SPEED with NETGEAR R7500

What kind of device are you using?  Smartphone?  Computer?  If it's a computer, what is the model # of the Wi-Fi adapter?

Message 2 of 10
Duckdive
Aspirant

I have Wide Open West internet with 110mpbs

My lap top has Qualcomm Atheros AR956x wireless adapter. When i connect using cat5 cable i get extemely high speeds on test but i keep dropping off interent. As for the two computers, they have USB Realtek RTL8192CU 802.11N adapters.

Thank you for your assistance.

Message 3 of 10
TheEther
Guru

It's hard to find information about the Atheros AR956x, but it appears to be a single band (2.4 GHz only), single stream 802.11n Wi-Fi adapter.  When using 20 MHz wide channels (very common with 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi when other Wi-Fi networks are present), the maximum link speed possible is 72.2 Mbps.  Real world throughput will probably be in the 25 to 35 Mbps range.  If no other Wi-Fi networks are present, then you may be able to use 40 MHz channels and a link speed of 150 Mbps.  Real world throughput will be 50% of that or less (75 Mbps or less).  But I wouldn't count on being able to use 40 MHz channels with 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi.

The Realtek RTL8192CU adapters are dual band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), dual stream 802.11n Wi-Fi adapters.  These should be able to connect at a link speed of 300 Mbps at 5 GHz.  Again, real world throughput will be 50% or less (150 Mbps or less).

With respect to the R7500, you will want to make sure that WMM is enabled.  Without it, Wi-Fi will slow to a crawl.  The other QoS functions, like upstream and downstream QoS, can remain off.  Since you have pretty fast Internet service (120 Mbps), you probably won't benefit from QoS, so I recommend that you leave upstream and downstream QoS off, but feel free to experiment.

Message 4 of 10
Duckdive
Aspirant

Thank you very much for you imput! I enabled WMM and this has increased speed! Do you think going to a more powerful AC adapter on my computers (and laptop) would be beneficial? I am looking at the AC1200 from NETGEAR.

Also, on my laptop,when i plug cat5 cable into router, i get blazing speeds but my interenet keeps dropping off. Any suggestions?

Thank you kindly!

Message 5 of 10
TheEther
Guru

I'm not sure if upgrading the computer will net you any additional speed. The Realtek's should be capable of saturating your 110 Mbps Internet connection. Your laptop will definitely benefit from an upgrade. Upgrading to an AC1200 adapter will leave you well positioned to take advantage of any future speed increases to your Internet connection. It will also help with local file transfers between your laptop and other local devices.

As for your Internet connection, more information is needed to diagnose it. You may need to log into your router as well as your modem and do some sleuthing. Is the connection dropping from the router or is the modem also losing the connection? Look at the logs of both devices and look for signs of the Internet connection dropping. There might be a reason given.

You may also want to try a different Ethernet cable. It could be bad. Also try a different LAN port on the router.
Message 6 of 10
Duckdive
Aspirant

Re: REDUCED WIFI SPEED with NETGEAR R7500 - connection drops when hard wired to router.

My wireless speeds are UP! My only problem is when i am wired directly from my laptop to the router my connection drops every few minutes. I have to unplug the cat5 cable from my laptop and then plug back in. Any suggestions for this?

Thank you,

DD

Message 7 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi @Duckdive,

Welcome to Community!

To isolate the problem, connect a different computer wired to the router and check if it has the same problem. Try all ports of the router and use a different cable. If it only happens on one computer, you may need to update the LAN card of that computer.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 8 of 10
Duckdive
Aspirant

James,

Sorry for my delayed response.

I have tried other computers hardwired to the router. They do not have problems with dropping off. 

When i bring the same laptop to my office it never drops off on that network. Only on my home router, so i do not believe it is my LAN card.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you kindly!

RIchard

Message 9 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi @Duckdive,

This is weird as other devices connected to the R7500 via ethernet does no have this issue and only this computer. Please try to update the driver of the LAN adapter. 

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7