Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RS400 Firmware Update

Poletip
Aspirant

RS400 Firmware Update

As we know, Netgear has released a patch to repair the Circle Access.

The RS400 firmware version is  RS400-V1.5.1.0_10.0.54.chk

The problem I am having is that the  firmware won't update .  While it goes through all the actions, the net  of the update is that the router remains at the previous version (V1.5.0.54_10.0.48).

Is there some undocumented way to apply the security release.

BTW, the built in firmware check also does not work - even when I use the CHECK button.

Is this unique problem, should I be calling for  a warranty replacement?

Thanks,

Model: RS400|Nigthhawk AC2300 Cybersecurity WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: RS400 Firmware Update

@Poletip wrote:

The problem I am having is that the  firmware won't update .  While it goes through all the actions, the net  of the update is that the router remains at the previous version (V1.5.0.54_10.0.48).

How did you apply the update?

Manual updates are preferred.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@Poletip wrote:

BTW, the built in firmware check also does not work - even when I use the CHECK button.

It can take time for new firmware to migrate from the support site to the update server.

Message 2 of 5
Poletip
Aspirant

I did manually apply the update - but after going through the process, the  firmware was NOT  applied.  While the process took the time and rebooted, the router remained at the previous version.   Does not make sense.  I used the Netgear sourced *.chk file.

Message 3 of 5

@Poletip wrote:

I did manually apply the update - but after going through the process, the  firmware was NOT  applied.  While the process took the time and rebooted, the router remained at the previous version.   Does not make sense.  I used the Netgear sourced *.chk file.

This has happened in the past. Heaven only knows why. Netgear doesn't feel the need to enlighten us.

One thing that has helped with firmware issues in the past has been to reset the device before applying the manual update.

You could save the device's settings before you do this. You can then restore them after the update.

No guarantees, but nothing lost.

You might also like to report this in the section where they support Circle.

Circle Smart Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

Message 4 of 5
Poletip
Aspirant

Resetting the router before updating the firmware worked.    The "check for updates" never worked.  

Now with the  latest release - the Router web service to access the router works only once or twice - then it times out for all access.  I have to reset the router each time.  This has to be the worst router product I have ever used.  

I guess I will keep trying - maybe downgrade the FW.  

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7