Ralink chipset issues

jsmiddleton4
Tutor

Ralink chipset issues

Have a new albeit cheaper Asus laptop. Ralink N150 chipset. Probably could change it out, looks like it can be, but have to pop the key board off. Still under warranty so not doing that any time soon.

It has intermittent connectivity issues on its one and only channel, 2.4ghz. I have one of those mini-usb N150 devices that is not Ralink based. Plugged it in, laptop connects solidly, fast, no hiccups.

All other clients are connected perfectly but they are either Broadcom or Atheros.

There are not a lot of choices in terms of Windows 8/8.1 drivers for the Ralink chipset. Tried the few I could find, same issue.

Not saying its a Netgear issue given its JUST the Ralink chipset. Ralink needs to address it. But that is not going to happen.

Will use the USB mini-thumb N150 for now. It barely sticks out.

Just wondered if those having connectivity issues with the 2.4 channel are using Ralink chipset clients?
Message 1 of 14
HiSpeed
Guide

R7000 - AC1900 Nighthawk

Hi,

Which driver version do you use?

● Netgear R7000 (Root Router)
● TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (WDS Bridge)

Message 2 of 14
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

Re: Ralink chipset issues

I'll have to look but its the only one Asus says is approved for this chipset.

The only ones I found in looking were the same driver number.

Its the default Asus Windows 8.1 for this laptop.
Message 3 of 14
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

DriverVer = 01/15/2014,5.00.39.0000
Message 4 of 14
HiSpeed
Guide

It exists new ones : here !

● Netgear R7000 (Root Router)
● TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (WDS Bridge)

Message 5 of 14
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

Will check it out.
Message 6 of 14
VE6CGX
Master

Hi,
I believe Ralink is Linux friendly.
Message 7 of 14
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

Newest driver not difference. Connects, then drops, then reconnects. Only client that does so. iPhones, other laptop and media player on 2.4 solid and stable.

Put the USB N150 in, works perfectly.

Air time fairness, 20/40, etc., all no positive impact one way or the other.
Message 8 of 14
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

Only thing that seems to work consistently to stop disconnects is to set the speed in the router to nothing greater than 300mbs for the 2.4ghz channel. With the Ralink N150 that means connection speed shows to be 72mbs not 150. But it stays connected.

Will hit 150 if set router to 600mbs and 40mhz. But as noted drops connectivity.

20/40hz does nothing positively if set to 20mhz. Was thinking forcing 20mhz would have positive impact. Did not.

Scanned all channels, not having any interference.
Message 9 of 14
TheEther
Guru

jsmiddleton4 wrote:

20/40hz does nothing positively if set to 20mhz. Was thinking forcing 20mhz would have positive impact. Did not.

If you are referring to the Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence setting under Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings, then unchecking it doesn't force the use of 20 MHz. Unchecking it disables the feature that forces the router to drop down to 20 MHz if it detects too much contention at 40 MHz.

This setting is tied to the Wireless mode in basic settings. When the mode is set to 600 Mbps at 2.4 GHz, then the router may use 40 MHz channels. The 20/40 MHz Coexistence setting will affect whether the router backs down to 20 MHz. If you unchecked it, then the router may have been forcing the use of 40 MHz channels even if it was detrimental to overall throughput.

When the mode is set to 289 Mbps, then the router will only use 20 MHz channels. This matches your observations.
Message 10 of 14
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

Well I think you got my point. Not quite sure.

Point is the only way the Ralink chipset stays connected reliably is by being forced into 20mhz and slower speeds. Impact of course is all of the 2.4ghz clients are as well.

When warranty on this laptop is up, will look at updating the wireless pci-e card.
Message 11 of 14
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

Going to try new firmware. Although I'm pretty sure its ralink's chipset/drivers and not liking multiple channels so as to do full 150mbs.
Message 12 of 14
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

So far so good with the newest FW from Netgear. Ralink chipset client connected at 150mbs. Been connected for a couple of hours. Streaming video now so we'll see.
Message 13 of 14
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

Still doing well. Need to verify today one last time. Connected at 150mbs and stable-reliable. No idea exactly why.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E