Random bandwidth deadzone

CaptObvious
Tutor

Random bandwidth deadzone

I have attached a diagram showing my home network to make this easier to explain.
The area in the dining room where the PC is located will randomly become a bandwidth deadzone, but only for some devices. By this I mean that the actual WIFI signal strength remains strong, but there is no bandwidth available, so nothing works, speedtest will show download speed of almost zero, although upload speed will be fine. It will affect the PC and my mobile phone, but my wife's mobile phone will be unaffected.
We also discovered the the Wifi repeater is not affected by this issue, which is used for the printer to make it wireless.  If we plug into this with an ethernet cable, it is still nice and fast.

I have used a wifi scanner to look for interference, and there is none, neighbours are on a different channel. 
I have tried turning off everything else in the room, including the repeater, so that is not causing interference.

I have replaced the WIFI dongle on the PC, so that is not the cause, but then as I said, it affects other devices randomly as well.

Doing some tests with my mobile device, the dead zone is very precise. Standing in front of the PC, no bandwidth, If I take 2 steps forward and stand at the bottom of the dining room at the doorway, suddenly it is back to normal and I am getting 20Mbps.

Anyone got any ideas?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Re: Random bandwidth deadzone

Hi CaptObvious,

Do you experience the issue on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz?

Have you tried changing channels for both networks?

Is it on the latest firmware?

Message 2 of 11
CaptObvious
Tutor

yes I have the latest firmware.

The only device capable of connecting to 5ghz is my wife's samsung, and this was working. None of my other devices can even see the 5ghz SSID.

changing channels doesn't help.

Message 3 of 11
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Your repeater is in the worst possible location.  Have you tried putting it in the study?  I know you say you have a strong signal everywhere but maybe just try this.

Keith

(2xWNR2000, 3xWNCE2001, FWAG114, FS116, GS116, 6xR7000, EX7000)
Message 4 of 11
CaptObvious
Tutor

Since the issue occurs with the repeater unplugged and turned off, that obviously is not the cause.
Moving it would therefore make no difference and make it completely useless anyway as it would Then no longer be possible to connect my printer to it which is its sole purpose.
Message 5 of 11
William10a
Master

One simple answer but may not be what you want to hear get a usb extension cable and move the usb reciever for the computer it may just fix the problem without putting your hair out.

I have seen a window stop wifi before the window had a metal film in betwwen the glass plains.

Message 6 of 11
CaptObvious
Tutor

Currently, the plugging into the repeater with an ethernet cable has provided a workaround solution, I am just interested to work out what the cause of this problem is.

The thing is that it sometimes works for days without a problem and the fact that the repeater works just defies logic.

Message 7 of 11
William10a
Master

Wifi can play ditry tricks on you unseen by you there could be wiring or puming in the walls, the walls them selves could have a metal mash in them. Hard to say the exact cause as each house is defferent.

Message 8 of 11
CaptObvious
Tutor

well the thing is that it has been working fine for many years without any issues, this has only started recently.

Message 9 of 11
William10a
Master

So what change recently around the house any new in the home or outside the home?

Any updates to the computer or router before this happen?

Message 10 of 11
CaptObvious
Tutor

The router firmware has been updated a few times since it started. Other than that nothing else has changed.

Since the issue affects multiple devices, any changes to the computer would not be relevant, as any such changes would affect that computer only.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements