Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Random disconnects.

eoz
Follower
Follower

Random disconnects.

I bought an R7000 about a week ago now. My other router kept going wonky on me, could not take any load for any amount of time and was generally a miserable experience.

Now, for my problem with the R7000: I keep having random disconnects. During this time, the internet totally cuts off. The Genie tells me my internet has disconnected. It then resumes normal operation within like 5 or maybe 8 seconds. This happens from once to three times ever hour. I tried upgrading firmware, and custom firmware. Any help for me? Thanks!
Message 1 of 48

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For those who have R7000, kindly try to use the beta fw 1.0.5.62.

View solution in original post

Message 46 of 48

All Replies
magnafides
Aspirant

What's your brand of modem? ISP?
Message 2 of 48
pprior
Aspirant

Message 3 of 48
raegtne
Aspirant

I am having the same problem. After I changed channel, I still have the problem. very frustrating... 😞
Message 4 of 48
aeg4373
Aspirant

Have had this router since November 2013. Was fine at first but have the same issues the last 2 months. Have talked to tech support multiple times, they even sent me a new router. I have pinpointed it down to the buggy firmware. I have rolled back to the 1.0.1.22 firmware and that seems to be the most stable, but still get the occasional disconnects, but not as frequent with the newer firmware. Tried the latest FW 1.0.3 issued a couple days ago and that was by far the worst - wouldn't stay connected to the internet for more than 30 seconds before disconnecting, then reconnecting. Hopefully netgear gets their act together on this.
Message 5 of 48
RogerSC
Virtuoso

aeg4373 wrote:
Tried the latest FW 1.0.3 issued a couple days ago and that was by far the worst - wouldn't stay connected to the internet for more than 30 seconds before disconnecting, then reconnecting. Hopefully netgear gets their act together on this.

If you're doing factory default reset after each upgrade, and manually re-entering your configuration, I'd suggest going to my.netgear.com and opening an issue with Netgear there. There's something about your particular network that the Netgear firmware isn't dealing with, apparently. I think that your experience, especially with the new firmware, is pretty unusual, so if you want to get Netgear to look at your problems, my advice would be to report them.

If Netgear doesn't know about your problems, no way that they're going to get their act together on them. They may not anyways, but it's worth a try.

If you've already reported this, never mind *smile*.
Message 6 of 48
LeeH
Prodigy

Try setting your MTU to something less than 1500. Try 1480 or 1420 if 1480 doesn't help.
Message 7 of 48
cowboychincs
Tutor

MTU??? sorry, must be in the slow lane... what is MTU and where do you find it in the setup?

I am having the same issue... 1 or 2 disconnects per day.... the new FW release fixed a lot of my issues I was having with the 2.4g channels dropping and reconnecting... but now the R7000 totally disconnects from the internet once or twice a day... and NOPE, it is not the cable modem... the cable company has even changed it out for me for free.... and it sill is dropping... and the cable modem is rock solid with connectivity... any thoughts here would be very helpful....
Message 8 of 48
Devor
Luminary

Page 35-37 of the user manual.
Message 9 of 48
cowboychincs
Tutor

Dear Devor... thanks... guess you just like to have someone run around and find the user manual... huh? Why couldn't you have just stated what MTU stood for and then provided the following:

4. Select ADVANCED > Setup > WAN Setup.
5. In the MTU Size field, enter a value from 64 to 1500.
6. Click the Apply button.

Guess that would not have been as easy... right?:rolleyes:

Not sure what this has to do with the R7000 dropping all internet connections, wired and wireless... was this a suggested fix by a Netgear Tech, or something else? Just curious as to how you stumbled onto this or if it was a Netgear suggested fix....
Message 10 of 48
drstevil
Novice

I'm having the same problems. Router keeps randomly dropping my internet at various times. Sometimes it's just the 2.4ghz... Sometimes it's the 5ghz and other times it's the entire network (wired and wireless).

It seems to be a little better since upgrading to the latest firmware, but still very unreliable (my gf's son just lost his homework progress online tonight because of this crap). I really like this router and would love to keep it but it seems like it's going to be an uphill battle given the problems each firmware tends to bring.

I might give DD-WRT a try and see if that works better. If not, I'm returning this thing and getting an ASUS. This has been, hands down, the most problematic router I've used since an old D-Link and my patience is wearing pretty thin. Just want something that works, which is unfortunate because 'when' it works, it works really well.

Netgear, on behalf of the countless frustrated R7000 users, please get your **** together
Message 11 of 48
aeg4373
Aspirant

Thanks Roger SC - I did the factory default reset before each upgrade as you suggested. You must do a factory default reset after each upgrade, and manually re-entering your configuration. I am currently running the latest firmware and it is has been pretty stable since then. I am not sure why all the times I talked to netgear support that they did not mention this as a potential issue.
Message 12 of 48
Devor
Luminary

It's one of the first things mentioned in the release notes. You may be surprised to know how many people there are that don't read the release notes or find it too much trouble to read the user manual.

If it's any consolation, I've seen many issues get blamed on new firmware that turn out to be nothing more than the firmware getting improperly changed. Changing the firmware properly squarely points to a firmware issue. You might want to look at the link in my signature, see step 4. Although written for a different model, the Guide provides one way to properly change firmware and might just save you some grief. Additionally, it might be beneficial to safely unplug any USB attached devices before changing the firmware and don't use saved configuration files between different firmware versions.

Congratulations on getting the issue sorted.
Message 13 of 48
bonecows
Aspirant

I have had this router for about a week now, everything was working fine until today when I started having the exact same problem as eoz mentioned in his post. Internet disconnecting after a few seconds. LAN seemed to be working fine.

I've tested my connection thoroughly with different routers and modems (I'm on adsl) and am able to give 100% certainty that the problem is with the R7000.

I have not been able to find a solution, but here are the steps I've taken trying to trouble shoot:

I have run out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I'm having to make do with a different router.
Message 14 of 48
cowboychincs
Tutor

Dear aeg4373... here is what I would suggest... not sure it will fix even close to 100% of the issues you are having, but it is the best solution thus far....

Install new firmware
1. Click on the link below and download the r7000 Firmware Version 1.0.3.24 (All Regions except China):
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_V1.0.3.24_1.1.20.zip
If the firmware that you've downloaded is a zipped file, please extract it first before updating the router's firmware.
2. Log in to the router using a Web browser. The URL is http://routerlogin.net. (please connect one computer to the router using an Ethernet cable)
3.Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Firmware Upgrade.
4.Click Browse and find the file you just downloaded.
5.Click Upload. Do not interrupt the upgrade while the router does this step.

Hard Reset the Router:
a. Using a paper clip, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
b. Without releasing the reset button unplug the power cord and replug after 30 seconds.
c. Continue to press and hold the reset button for another 30 seconds.
d. Release the reset button and wait for the router to properly reboot.

Note: This will delete all settings in the device and will terminate connections. Reconfiguration of your SSID and Passwords is needed to restore Internet connection to your devices. Leave it at that state.. and then...

... go to Advanced setup, and go to WAN setup, and set the MTU at 1400... and see how that works for you.... this has helped me out a bunch.... but you indeed do have to follow the exact instructions above.... some Netgear techs will give you a different set of instructions for resetting the router.. but they DO NOT work... so use the above... no one has been able to explain why I need to change the MTU to 1400... but I have gone for a couple of days now without the R7000 dropping my internet connection. (the first time I did this, and did not change the MTU, the issue with the 2.4g dropping went away, but the R7000 would drop the internet connection entirely... we will see how the MTU of 1400 does... but so far... so good) hope this helps.... let us know... OK?
Message 15 of 48
Greygoose
Novice

cowboychincs

mtu 1500 is optimal
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5793
Message 16 of 48
cowboychincs
Tutor

Greygoose... I understand... I am only repeating what was suggested during my open case investigation by a lead Netgear tech... thus far, with it set at 1400, my R7000 has not dropped its interent connection with my cable modem.... at 1500 (the default) it would drop once or twice per day... this was stumbled onto after we resolved the 2.4g channel issues with the R7000 by installing the new FW AND following the reset procedure as I described...

If anyone has installed the new FW and has their 2.4g issue fixed, but is still losing internet connection between the R7000 and the cable modem... try setting the MTU to 1400... thus far, after about 3 days now... it has not dropped..... so that is a good thing.... IMHO... and have not seen any degradation in performance... either at the 2.4g or the 5g freqs... just fyi...
Message 17 of 48
cowboychincs
Tutor

Greygoose... the link you posted ref. MTU is a GREAT article... it helped me understand why the 1400 may have worked for me... if I wanted to do so... I could do the "ping" testing and determine what my optimum MTU is... but if my R7000 stays up and running at 1400 and I see no degradation on any of my wired/wireless devices at home... I'm good... but thanks for the link... very informative... 🙂
Message 18 of 48
karlos1033
Aspirant

Hi All
Mine sometimes has drop in wifi speed compared to direct connection via lan ...may loose 10meg via 5ghz wifi ...but only now and then ...would it be worth setting my MTU to 1400 ?
Will it hurt anything ?

Any help most appreciated
Karl
Message 19 of 48
karlos1033
Aspirant

Sorry forgot to say ...had my first random disconnect from wifi today , when reconnected it said internet not connect ....then after 10 secs wa back on again ....no issues in logs on either router or fibre broadband modem (80/20 bt infinity)

cheers
Message 20 of 48
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The MTU setting only affects the WAN port. If the MTU setting were causing your slowness, it would likely exist on both LAN and WLAN connections.
Message 21 of 48
cowboychincs
Tutor

karlos1033.... the following article may explain a lot... this was furnished to me by the Netgear Tech who helped me with my issues....

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1153

and here is another article I found on the subject... also a good read...

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5793
Message 22 of 48
karlos1033
Aspirant

thanks for the info ....did try a ping test and got 0 % loss ....that is with MTU set at 1458 and also same at 1400.
Not tried it at 1492 yet .....but will have a play !! lol

Cheers 🙂
Message 23 of 48
Devor
Luminary

Or, you could contact your ISP (or look on their website) and find out what value to use for the MTU. If after setting the correct MTU there is still an issue, then you would know that the ISP needs to roll a truck to fix their equipment. Setting it unnecessarily low will degrade performance.
Message 24 of 48
bonecows
Aspirant

I've been following this thread since I first started having problems since my problem is exactly as described by eoz in the op. The issue being, after working correctly for a while, the internet constantly disconnects and reconnects, staying connected for very short periods before disconnecting agian.

First things first, this issue is probably separate to the wireless disconnecting issue some people have posted, I have been able to reproduce the problem while wireless still works fine.

Secondly, this issue has nothing to do with MTU. While it's all good advice regarding the MTU settings, these settings do not fix nor cause the issue. I have been able to reproduce it with my correct MTU settings and also with lower than recommended settings (in my case 1492, as confirmed by my ISP and by cowboychincs' tutorial posted above).

And lastly, this issue is with the R7000 and not with your ISP. I have tested extensively with different routers using exactly the same settings.

For me the only fix to this issue, both with the official latest firmware and DDWRT is to do a 30/30/30 reset AND reconfigure manually. This issue seems to occur every 4 days to me. Honestly, it seems like a driver issue in my opinion. I'm not terribly experienced programming for low level hardware but it does appear to me to be some sort of memory leak.

Doing a simple factory reset from the GUI, resets the settings but does not fix the problem. I have also confirmed that saving the config immediately after the issue happens and trying to reload that config on a freshly reset router will cause the issue to appear.

I'm waiting for the issue to happen again so I can test if simply loading a fresh config backup on a corrupted router fixes the issue.
Message 25 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7