Re: Random lag spikes while playing Halo 5 on R7000

Pyroteq
Luminary

Random lag spikes while playing Halo 5 on R7000

Hi guys, hope someone can help me because this is driving me absolutely insane.

I've got my Xbox One going to my R7000 via cable. During online games I'll get massive lag spikes that can last up to a minute.

You can see a video I've uploaded if you want to see what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lxpPOZPHsg

I've gone around the internet 20X's trying to find a solution for this.

During the lag spikes I'm still able to talk to people in my Xbox Live party so it's not my internet dropping out.

During the lag spikes I'm doing ping tests to Google in command prompt and getting an average of 9-10ms and zero packet loss. (You can see me doing this in above video during the lag spike)

Xbox network diagnostics reports no packet loss when doing the test through the dashboard.

As far as I can tell all other games are working fine. There's no other noticable internet issues.

UPnP is enabled as I have 2 Xbox's and would like to play Halo 5 with my wife at the same time.

I'm running out of ideas here on what to do.

ISP is Telstra ADSL2+

Message 1 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Why wouldn't you ping the site hosting the game?

Google ping test results would mean something if the games were hosted @ Google. During game time what if anything else is being done over your network?

Message 2 of 20
Pyroteq
Luminary

Nothing. My wife is asleep, torrent programs are turned off on her PC, my PC has nothing downloading.

The point of the ping test to Google is to basically prove it's not my internet connection. You don't see dropped packets occurring at the time and you can see the ping remains low and stable. If I was uploading or downloading heaps and using up my bandwidth you would see the latency increase.

I'd ping the servers but I don't know what their IP address is and I'm assuming Microsoft doesn't want people knowing them to prevent DDoS attacks.

No other game gives me this issue, it's only Halo 5.

I know another person living in a different country with a different ISP that has the exact same issue I have with the same router so it would appear to be something related to this particular router and Halo 5.

Message 3 of 20
TheEther
Guru

The problem is that the path to Google could be uncongested while the path to the game servers is not.  The road to the post office could be free and clear while the road to the supermarket could be backed up for miles.  In fact, pinging Google to test latency is a particuarly bad idea because Google's website is actually hosted in thousands of places on the Internet.  Each time you ping google.com, you could be hitting a different server at Google.

The IP addresses of the game servers are not a secret.  And Microsoft is not going to care about a few ping packets.

Message 4 of 20
Pyroteq
Luminary

I understand this.

When I play Halo 5 the dedicated servers for my region is located in Sydney, where I live. I should have an excellent connection there. I'm also with the largest ISP in Australia that pretty much have a monopoly on the entire nations infrastructure.

If it was an issue with my ISP pretty much ever Halo 5 player in Australia would be experiencing something similar but this isn't the case. I also spoke to a guy in the USA with the same router that took a video of the same thing happening so the only thing in common here is the router.

As for the IP's for the servers they're hosted by Microsoft Azure servers. They're cloudbased and use many different IP's. They also host other Xbox games which I never had an issue with.

Message 5 of 20
TheEther
Guru

It's a bit of a leap to suspect the router is the problem based on two data points.  You haven't isolated the issue.  It could be one or more of the following:

• A bug in the game or network stack running on your Xbox
  • Congestion somewhere in your region in your ISP
  • Congestion in one or more transit ISPs
  • Congestion in Microsoft's data center
  • A bug in the server hosting the game
  • A bug in the router

Even though Microsoft's servers are cloud based and there are many IPs, any instance of a game will be running on a specific server with a specific IP address for the duration of that game.  You will NOT see the server and, hence, the IP address change in the middle of a game.

Since the lag is lasting so long (1 minute!), you really should try pinging the game server during this time.  Better yet, use mtr (a combination of ping and traceroute) to get latency measurements for each network hop between you and the server.  This can help pinpoint congestion, if any in the network.  If there is no latency, then the router is unlikely to be involved.  

If you have trouble finding the IP address of the server (e.g. it is not displayed in the game itself), use Wireshark and sniff the IP address.

[Edit: Being on the largest ISP in Australia doesn't mean that they have adequate bandwidth everywhere.  Some of the largest ISPs in the America have terrible service in parts of their network.]

Message 6 of 20
Pyroteq
Luminary

Unfortunately my PC only has one ethernet port and no wireless card so there's no way I can sniff the IP addresses during game.

Message 7 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Bypass router when playing the game by going direct to the modem as a test.

Message 8 of 20
Pyroteq
Luminary

Yeah, I've been thinking this.

Unfortunately it's hard to test as the issue is random and intermittent. I'm hoping it's the modem so I can just spend $40 on a replacement since the R7000 is pretty expensive in Australia...

Will post back with results in this thread.

Message 9 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Don't waste the money on the modem. Cloud based is all hype it's not worth a **bleep** (video wise) on the largest ISP in the States. Being that your lag is  random and intermittent  I'm betting it's congestion as more players hit the servers. If it was the router I would expect it to be occurring all the time.

I don't play games so what do I know.

Message 10 of 20
TheEther
Guru

Do you have upstream or downstream QoS enabled?  If so, try turning it off, but leave WMM on.  It could be causing weird buffering and latency issues in the router.  Plus, it disables hardware-assisted forwarding and reduces the maximum forwarding speed of the router.

Even better, disable as many non-essential features as possible.  This includes Access Control, block sites and services, and port forwarding and triggering.  These features, along with QoS, can rob the router of speed.  You may have to leave uPnP on for gaming, but experiment with turning it off.  

Message 11 of 20
ahorror
Luminary

I was having some weird lag similar to this, you can see my topic down a few posts, and turning off QoS and Access Control may have fixed my issues.  Goodluck!

Also, Halo 5 has some issues with certain ISP's.  I can't remember which but look into it, maybe yours is one of them sadly.

Message 12 of 20
Pyroteq
Luminary

Halo supposedly has issues with Time Warner Cable, but my ISP is Telstra from Australia and they pretty much own the entire phone network down here so surely if it was ISP related I'd hear a lot more issues about it from other Halo players over here.

Access Control is already disabled but I'll try disabling QoS as well.

As for disabling most the features on the router... The reason I got the router is so I could use these features, lol.

I'll try it anyway and see what happens...

Message 13 of 20
Pyroteq
Luminary

Been a while since I've visited this thread.

Been enjoying other games (that actually work) instead of Halo, but I figured I'd jump on and play a game tonight.

Played a single game about 15 minutes long and experienced 3 lag spikes that each lasted between 40-60 seconds...  Not even playable 1/10th of the time.

*sigh*

Anyway, did some digging around and found some pretty weird stuff going on...

I'm not sure this is what's causing my dramas, but it seems odd.

Keep in mind 3074 is an XBL port...

UPnP

WTF?

Apparently 3074 is being forwarded to 192.168.1.18 - I'm pretty sure I set my Xbox's to static IP's and I'm pretty sure I made sure they started from .20 and up...

Static IP setup

Well what do you know? I did.

Checking attached devices confirms IP's:

Attached devices

So what gives?

Why are the XBL ports being forwarded to IP's that don't exist on my network?

Message 14 of 20
Pyroteq
Luminary

Can mod please approve images? (Says not approved so I believe my post isn't being bumped)

Message 15 of 20
JamesGL
Master

Please try to use the latest firmware version 1.0.6.28 for the router.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30175

Message 16 of 20
Pyroteq
Luminary

According to other commenters on this same forum the latest firmware is rubbish and should be avoided until it's fixed.

Changing my ADSL modem MAY have fixed the issue. Still testing but looks good so far.

Message 17 of 20
Umrk
Luminary

I had/have the exact problem. I configured the router's QOS settings to give my Xbox 1 the highest priority (and previously forwarded all ports used by xbox to one static port) which has reduced the lag spikes by 70 - 80%. The problem is hat they still occurr, though not as bad or as long. Some say it is my ISP, others say it is 343's servers. Whatever the cause, I hope it is fixed soon....if you figured out a work-around, please share!

Umrk

Message 18 of 20
Pyroteq
Luminary

Hi,

Changing my modem fixed the issue for me.

I have no idea WHY it worked (since the previous modem literally worked for EVERYTHING else) but it did, so I'm not going to question it.

If you're wondering the previous modem was a Technicolor TG797n v3 ADSL2+ modem/router and my current modem is a Netgear DMP111P ADSL2+ modem.

It's worked for weeks now and I haven't had a single lag spike.

Message 19 of 20
TheEther
Guru

Great!  Maybe you should pull or update the video you posted on Youtube so that viewers don't get the mistaken impression that the R7000 was to blame.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E