Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 DLNA inconsistent "file not supported or is corrupted" problems

gstwt60
Guide

I am also having similar problem. I am not able to get my Nighthawk X4S R7800 to stream video from My Cloud WDBCTL0040HWT NAS Server), Seagate 5TB drive or even a thumbdrive. I get the following error message - "File Not Playable" The file type might not be supported, the codec used for compression might not be supported, the file might be protected, or the file might be damaged or corrupt.

Now here is the quicker. First step. I cleared boh the Seagate and thumbdrive of a specific video file to make sure they do not exist. Next I took the video file from the WD NAS and copied them over to both the Seagate and the thumbdrive. One at a Time I connected the to the R7800 router and in both cases I got the same error when trying to stream them via Roku 3. So the next step, I attached both devices directly to the Roku 3 one at a time and had absolutely no problem getting the Roku to play the files.

So it is apparent to me that somehow the router itself is the culprit that is blocking the content from streaming. Any ideas anyone?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
gstwt60
Guide

Apparently the last updated push has now corrected this problem. I am now able to stream videos via my NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
Sinisterj12
Tutor

Ya i fought this over and over again just again a few weeks ago but what fixed my streaming and even my online gaming from lagging was simply by not using QOS.  As soon as i disabled QOS everything seems to work just fine, i haven't had any luck using it.

Also my firmware was upgraded to the latest.

Message 2 of 9
JamesGL
Master

Hi gstwt60,

What is the file format of the files that you are unable to play when it is connected to the R7800?

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 3 of 9
gstwt60
Guide

Any video format I use streaming through the router is not working. I have tried mp4, might and avi.
Here is the deal, I have a secondary Seagate drive as back up. If I plug this drive into ANY of my 4 Roku boxes, all of the video files will play. Now if I take that same drive and connect it directly into the Nighthawk router, I end up with the same previous error message.
Message 4 of 9
JamesGL
Master

Hi gstwt60,

Do you computers that has media software that can detect or view those media files? Can we try to use computer to play those files. Also does Roku has an option to rescan the media files in network.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 5 of 9
gstwt60
Guide

James please pass the information on to your Supervisor to assist. First I was very clear that ANY hard drive, or thumb drive that I connect directly to ANY of my four Rokus will play absolutely every single file. I can also play ALL files to either of my two laptops and I can even play ALL the files on my smartphone. HOWEVER when I route the files going through the router NONE of the previous media will play. The problem is with the router. If I get another incompetent response, I will buy a new router from another company and permanently stay away from Netgear products, since I cannot get competent customer support.
Message 6 of 9
gstwt60
Guide

Apparently I can not get a straight answer from Netgear on this issue. First I was very clear that ANY hard drive, or thumb drive that I connect directly to ANY of my four Rokus will play absolutely every single file. I can also play ALL files to either of my two laptops and I can even play ALL the files on my smartphone. HOWEVER when I route the files going through the router NONE of the previous media will play. The problem is with the router.Please read previous post on this thread before responding.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 7 of 9
Elsmicko
Initiate

Yep, I have the exact same problem as you. I bought the R8000 because I wanted to play all the movies I have on my hard drive, but so far all I get is "The media file format is not supported". Not sure what is up with this, but I have the latest firmware version and the router does everything else its supposed to do.

Message 8 of 9
gstwt60
Guide

Apparently the last updated push has now corrected this problem. I am now able to stream videos via my NAS.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7