Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready SHARE with USB 3.0 is very slow

Graymayre
Follower

Ready SHARE with USB 3.0 is very slow

I purchased this router for this particular feature, which I did not attempt to implement until now.

I have tested with various firmware versions, including the September 2020 version.  Consistent performance.

I have used various USB 3.0 drives and file systems. Computer is connected via Cat5e

Seagate Barracuda 2TB NTFS, direct USB speed is 188 MB/s read.  Ready SHARE speed on USB 3.0 is 27 MB/s.  USB 2.0 speed is 20 MB/s.

16 GB USB 3.0 drive, FAT32, direct USB speed is 135 MB/s read.  Ready SHARE speed on USB 3.0 is 27 MB/s, USB 2.0 speed is 20 MB/s.

I get near identical performance on the R7000P router I also just purchased for another application.  

It appears as though this cannot be resolved by a firmware upgrade, that the maximum physically capable throughput from the USB controller to the network is 30 MB/s.  This appears to be corrected in the R9000 systems based on what I have read in the community forums.  I have seen reports of over 100 MB/s read and 60 MB/s write, which is supremely better than what I am experiencing.  That would be significantly better than what I have.

The advertising for these routers is that "USB 3.0 speeds offer 10x the read and write speeds of USB 2.0" however that doesn't seem to apply to these routers.  Even though the router is still under warranty, I cannot initiate a support ticket without purchasing extended technical support (beyond the 90 days) which doesn't make sense.  How do I submit a claim?  How could I exchange this model for one that functions the way I expect?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Ready SHARE with USB 3.0 is very slow

there's a difference from read to write speeds with these routers. Its cpu limited. Its also why the r9000 has faster speeds, its several years and generations of cpu newer. 

Its a nice feature to have but if you're wanting peak speeds, I wouldn't be using a router for it. 

And its not just a "netgear issue". Its an issue of using a router as a NAS. this applies to other manufacturer's as well. They just aren't NAS's. 

Here's a chart that goes over some of these. (you can change the charts for whatever storage method and read vs write you want)

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/174-ntfs-write-usb-3-0

And one just for the R7000P

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33109-netgear-r7000p-nighthawk-smart-wifi-...

you can try getting in contact with support but it isn't going to get you anywhere because it isn't a hardware failure. Its a failure to understand expectations of using a router as a NAS. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7