Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ready To Throw My Router Away...Constantly Dropping Connection

candree
Tutor

Ready To Throw My Router Away...Constantly Dropping Connection

For the past year, the router constantly drops the wifi connection. I have re-initialized the router, with no improvement. There are no firmware updates to apply. I have had years of reliable service, but this past year, it drops every so often. No pattern. But up to 20 times a day sometimes. Again, not consistant. I hate that I cannot communicate this to Netgear, since it is out of warrentee. Any ideas.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

what modem do you have? 

what actual firmware version are you on? 

Message 2 of 8
candree
Tutor

R7000 AC1900 Smart Wifi Router

Serial Number: 3LG44477A67AA

MAC: E4F4C60579A6

v1.0.10.90_10.2.90

Thank you for helping me. 🙂

Wifi just dropped twice in 10 minutes and prevented 1st grader from class.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

The newest firmware for the R7000 is currently 1.0.11.116. 

the agreed upon stable/fastest firmware is 1.0.9.42

We usually recommend any firmware changes with the r7000 be done over a hardwired connection. Then once its upgraded/downgrade, do a factory reset and a clean install. By clean, I mean don't install from a backup configuration. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx

Message 4 of 8
thehypnootoad
Luminary

There is also other firmware you could try like advanced tomato but please be aware do your homework as you can easily brick your router and will not be covered by Netgear. But the firmware is normally amazing much more extras and tweaks.
Message 5 of 8
antinode
Guru

Message 6 of 8
candree
Tutor

Thanks to all that suggested to downgrade to 1.0.9.42!! This helped me immensely.

I got a sour task from this experience and with the fact that I could not call Netgear, without paying them for support. I purchased this router that was quite expensive and it is Netgear that produces these firmwear updates that causes problems and untold wasted time on the consumers part. This experience has definitely shifted my loyality from Netgear to another competitor for my next purchase. Netgear should provide the tech support, not the community. I should be able to call them and they should provide me with the guideance necessary. Additionally, there should be better quality control with firmwear updates! Lastly, I should NEVER have to wipe out my router to a factory default and then manually install all of the security features and firewall MAC addresses that I have entered OVER THE YEARS. What a stupid concept that my backup brings across whatever problem that Netgear inflicted in the first place and I have to start from scratch. 

Thanks Community for your help!!!! You guys are fantastic and saved my bacon!

Message 7 of 8
bascaves
Apprentice

Good to hear that you resolved it with 1.0.9.42 the only firmware that works well.  And welcome to the netgear saga of lousy firmware, bad engineering and NO support. Like many of us once the upgrade of your Soho network is around the corner. Something else then netgear... 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7