Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyCloud on R7960P stopped working when is placed behind another WIFI router

vge
Aspirant
Aspirant

ReadyCloud on R7960P stopped working when is placed behind another WIFI router

The ReadyCloud on my R7960P works fine if I connect the R7960P router directly to my cable modem. However it stops working if I placed the R7960P router bebind another router, in which case the internet browsing thru R7960P works ok, just not ReadyCloud.

In this 2-router setup:

- R7960P's LAN port connects to upstream's LAN port

- Upstream router setting: IP=192.168.2.1; DHCP enabled with range 192.168.2.20 to 192.168.2.100

- R7960P has static IP=192.168.2.2; DHCP disabled; 

I'd appreicated is someone can help me out here.

THANKS

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ReadyCloud on R7960P stopped working when is placed behind another WIFI router

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

Try connecting the R7960P to the upstream router usnig the WAN port, not the LAN port.

Try putting the R7960P WAN IP address it gets from the host router, in to the host routers DMZ.

Message 2 of 6

Re: ReadyCloud on R7960P stopped working when is placed behind another WIFI router

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

How to fix issues with Double NAT | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 6
vge
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you guru FURRYe38 and michaelkenward for your quick response.

The reason I want  2-router setup: I need both ReadyCloud and mesh WIFI. However none of Netgear's mesh WIFI supports ReadyCloud yet.

I need ReadyCloud USB storage access, mesh WIFI for btter WIFI coverage and speed.

Please let me know if you know better solution.

THANKS

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try connecting the R7960P to the upstream router using the WAN port, not the LAN port.

Try putting the R7960P WAN IP address it gets from the host router, in to the host routers DMZ.

@vge wrote:

Thank you guru FURRYe38 and michaelkenward for your quick response.

The reason I want  2-router setup: I need both ReadyCloud and mesh WIFI. However none of Netgear's mesh WIFI supports ReadyCloud yet.

I need ReadyCloud USB storage access, mesh WIFI for btter WIFI coverage and speed.

Please let me know if you know better solution.

THANKS

Message 5 of 6

@vge wrote:

Me too. Here's how I do it.

R7800 is router with ReadyCloud enabled.,

Orbi Mesh system in wireless access point mode.

Works a treat.

Using one router behind another, Mesh or otherwise, with one in AP mode,  could still deliver ReadyCloud through the one in router mode. It does here.

Wifi on the Orbi AP gets through to  ReadyCloud on the R7800.

But I can see no Mesh devices on your network. Unless they added it with fresh firmware, the R7960P doesn't do Mesh. And putting two of them together is not the same thing.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7