Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadySHARE Windows 10 + KB3189866

IrvSp
Master

@pblagay wrote:

Incidentally I tried this on the laptop without the recent updates and the commands complete successfully so it's fairly obvious something has changed in the way Windows handles these shares at some level.

It is interesting that it works for you, however, famous last words 'it works on my machine..' right? 🙂

I am hoping that someone at Netgear is at least looking into the reasons for this and can supply us some direction soon.

Well one thing I'd try is image the laptop and then get all the updates and try it again. If it works, well then I'd be looking harder at you system. I'd also try SAFE MODE with NETWORKING on the failing PC. That would rule out other drivers and/or applications that are auto-started.

Of interest to me is that others have the same problem as you? Again, I guess I'd try stopping anything that is auto-starting, just disable them and reboot. AUTORUNS from SYSINTERNALS would be good for this. Root around and uncheck and that you do not need (take screenshots so you can restore them later).

Have you tried disabling the firewall or A/V?

Just suggestions to see where the problem might lie. It doesn't sound like anything to do with NG, but I could be wrong. Not sure it is MS either?

Now since you said that removing some KB fixes fixes the problem it could be another program 'choking' on the updates I guess?

Message 26 of 47
pblagay
Star

I will try some other things later when I have time however here is my thread that I submitted after things stopped working after Sept 14:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/R6000-Series-AC-WiFi-Routers/Can-no-longer-access-ReadyShare-drives...

Message 27 of 47
IrvSp
Master

@pblagay wrote:

I will try some other things later when I have time however here is my thread that I submitted after things stopped working after Sept 14:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/R6000-Series-AC-WiFi-Routers/Can-no-longer-access-ReadyShare-drives...

Interesting...

My last set of updates for W10 was on 9/14 so I do have all that others have.

There have been sporadic reports of 'things' not working trying to get to the router. All were using Kaspersky and could NOT log into the router. Uninstalling and reinstalling Kaspersky fixed that. You using it? Wonder if it is another 'gotcha' with it?

Obviously you are NOT alone though.

I wouldn't expect NG to even know what to do if it wasn't reported to support via a call and even if it was, until they can reproduce it? Getting on your PC might not be enough to trace the problem down.

Message 28 of 47
pblagay
Star

I use McAfee and I tried turning it off and no change. I could try uninstalling it I guess.

Message 29 of 47
IrvSp
Master

@pblagay wrote:

I use McAfee and I tried turning it off and no change. I could try uninstalling it I guess.

Don't. I run McAfee LiveSafe... Also you've got a Dell, MUST get the Dell version from your account to install otherwise you'll have problems, I learned that last year 😞

Message 30 of 47
pblagay
Star

Well I found something interesting. I searched on the error code 1312 and found a thread detailing a possible solution.

Tried the following instead:

net use S: \\RouterShare\hd1 /user:MyUser MyPassword

This completed successfully. I then clicked in windows on my RouterShare icon and was able to see all the drives and contents. However a reboot lost everything again. I guess as a workaround I can add a script that does this at startup, however that is a bit hacky. I am guessing there is something in the credentials system that is somehow horked, maybe something in the startup order changed when connecting to drives? Who knows.. 

Message 31 of 47
IrvSp
Master

@pblagay wrote:

Well I found something interesting. I searched on the error code 1312 and found a thread detailing a possible solution.

Tried the following instead:

net use S: \\RouterShare\hd1 /user:MyUser MyPassword

This completed successfully. I then clicked in windows on my RouterShare icon and was able to see all the drives and contents. However a reboot lost everything again. I guess as a workaround I can add a script that does this at startup, however that is a bit hacky. I am guessing there is something in the credentials system that is somehow horked, maybe something in the startup order changed when connecting to drives? Who knows.. 

DId you PROTECT the USB DRIVE?

You'll see from this I did:

==========

C:\>net view \\readyshare
Shared resources at \\readyshare

readyshare

Share name   Type  Used as  Comment

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movies       Disk           read:all-no password;write:all-no password
USB_Storage  Disk           read:admin;write:admin
The command completed successfully.

==========

Once doing that (USB_Storage) I could NO longer access the movies I moved from DVD to the USB drive so I could watch them on the iPad. No iPad program I found could handle the UID/PW request and just said it could not be accessed, never asked for any input.

Once you do get access, do the NET VIEW \\ROUTERSHARE and it will show if IT thinks it is pw protected or not, like mine above.

Message 32 of 47
pblagay
Star

Doesn't seem to be write protected

C:\Users\Paul>net view \\routershare
Shared resources at \\routershare

RouterShare

Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HD1 Disk S: read:all-no password;write:all-no password
HD2 Disk read:all-no password;write:all-no password
HD3 Disk read:all-no password;write:all-no password
The command completed successfully.

C:\Users\Paul>

Message 33 of 47
IrvSp
Master

@pblagay, interesting....

What version of McAfee you running? The Dell on or the McAfee retail one? I'm on V14.0 R10.

Wife's PC uses Norton and has no problems either?

I think this points more towards MS or something else running on your laptop? It is probably a permissions problem but I don't understand how? Could be a network problem too I guess? Is it possible in your Network setting you have under ALL NETWORKS "Turn on Password Protected Sharing"? That might be the cause.

I've found Windows 10, especially Aniv. Update does muck with your settings and seems to change some for no reason at all?

Message 34 of 47

It seems not to be clear yet if it is a MS thing or a Netgear thing, wright? What about the routers, is only the R7000 involved?
Message 35 of 47
pblagay
Star

I'm using a R6250

Message 36 of 47
pblagay
Star

I'm using McAfee Viruscan Enterprise 8.8 - DAT Sept 23 2016

Checked all network settings and all look good. Like I mentioned before the laptop and desktop are configured quite differently, the laptop has a lot of stuff on it, desktop hardly anything, more of a server really. 

Turn on Password protected sharing is on, though this hasn't changed and worked before the updates. 

Agreed that there have been a lot of changes and issues since the Ani update. I got a response in the other thread saying this problem went away again on a newer fast track build, so perhaps it was accidentally broken and they are planning a fix. I have set up a script to map the drives, which for now solves my problem and updates are back on. I'll drop disabling next time we get a build update and see what happens.

Message 37 of 47
IrvSp
Master

@pblagay wrote:

Turn on Password protected sharing is on, though this hasn't changed and worked before the updates. 

Hmm, I do NOT have that on. I don't need it. It could be that WAS broke and fixed, that is with it on you were not being prompt or required to use the UID and PW to share a drive. Of course it might have been broken too as I recall that is supposed to only 'challenge' users trying to access your shared resource.

Might want to see if it work OK if you turn it off?

Might like to see this too --> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/turn-off-password-protected-s...

I do not know why it works for me? Home vs. Pro maybe? Home doesn't have GPEDIT.MSC so maybe there are other settings forced on the PRO version? Mystery to me? Wife has Pro version but no problems either???

Message 38 of 47
IrvSp
Master

I'm leaning towards the culprit being MS.

Message 39 of 47
IrvSp
Master

@pblagay, Searay found the ANSWER (https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers/Readyshare-is-not-accessible/m-p/1144090#M6318...). I checked my Credentials and I have it set. Done on 7/2/2016 though? I just don't recall doing this?

Message 40 of 47
Hooch80
Tutor

Problem solved.

The solution below absolutely worked for me!

The one thing to say is that when you create the Windows Credential - you must enter a user name and password, and...

1. I had to configure readyshare itself to allow read and write access to a username - i selected admin.

2. The windows credential required the router username "admin" and the password for admin. I tried my windows username and password, and i was able to connect to map the drive, but not open the contents of it. With admin and the password, i was able to get it to work!

>Found a solution:

>go into user account in control panel

>if you're in windows 10 select manage your credentials this will open 2 options

>web credentials and windows credentials

>head to windows credentials and add a new windows credential

>enter the location of the drive \\readyshare on the first line

>your windows user name in the second line

>your windows password in the third line

>and you're done, you should see the drive under network and be able to access it as before

>good luck

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 41 of 47
MattMJF
Aspirant

Hooch80,

I did this and it worked for me!  Thank You for researching this and publishing the solution.

I just had the motherboard replaced on my Lenovo desktop computer and afterwards a plethora of Windows updates installed.  I suspect my old credentials where lost or whatever.

I can now map the drive and access \\R7000\USBStorage

Great Job!

Message 42 of 47
Linotype
Tutor

Thank you Hoosh80. You solved a problem that has been a pain in my neck for over a week.

Message 43 of 47
MardnS
Aspirant

Any fixture for Windows 8.1? None of the above worked for me.

Message 44 of 47
knightEknight
Initiate

I found a different (but probably related) solution based on previous comments.

I logged in to my Windows 10 laptop as an administrator.

Opened a command prompt and issued the following command:

net use  U:  \\readyshare\USB_Storage  /user:%username%  /SAVECRED

After running this command one time I had no problem re-mounting the drive after a reboot with just this:

net use  U:  \\readyshare\USB_Storage

Then I right-clicked on Computer / Map Network Drive, selected U: and \\readyshare\USB_Storage, checked "reconnect at sign-in" and checked "Connect using different credentials".  I specified my current username and password (just as I did in my original net use command above), and after this I could reboot the PC and the drive would be there.  However, I'm pretty sure I would have to repeat these steps for every user I wanted to have access to it.

kEk

Message 45 of 47
JamesGL
Master

Hi knightEknight,

Please try the steps given on the link below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Windows-10-cannot-connect-NAS-share-Readysha...

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 46 of 47
JamesGL
Master

Hi knightEknight,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 47 of 47
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 46 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7