Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyShare/NTFS 2GB file size limit?

Robert_Giuffre
Follower

ReadyShare/NTFS 2GB file size limit?

I have a 500GB external hard drive formatted as NTFS attached to USB 3(1) on my router.  I cannot copy a file larger than 2GB from a local PC to the ReadyShare drive.  It says that there is not enough space to copy the file.  I have almost 30GB free, and the file is 2.5GB.  Files less than 2GB copy flawlessly and can be viewed on any media player on my network.  Why the 2GB filesize limit if the drive is formatted as NTFS?  Running the latest firmware.

Any ideas?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Re: ReadyShare/NTFS 2GB file size limit?

I think this is a SAMBA limitation. NG still uses the horribly outdated SMBv1 protocol

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
microchip8
Master

I think this is a SAMBA limitation. NG still uses the horribly outdated SMBv1 protocol

Message 2 of 6
Brassai
Tutor

I keep finding other posts that recommend using Voxel's firmware. I just updated to it and it has fixed this issue. 

Message 3 of 6
microchip8
Master

@Brassai wrote:

I keep finding other posts that recommend using Voxel's firmware. I just updated to it and it has fixed this issue. 

That's because Voxel uses SMBv2. I think he's also looking into SMBv3, but don't quote me on that

Message 4 of 6
Brassai
Tutor

Everything seems to be working great with his. File transfers are quick, all the stock Netgear options, apps, etc work as well. I will stick with Voxel unless Netgear decides to fix this issue with their own firmware. 

Message 5 of 6
microchip8
Master

@Brassai wrote:

Everything seems to be working great with his. File transfers are quick, all the stock Netgear options, apps, etc work as well. I will stick with Voxel unless Netgear decides to fix this issue with their own firmware. 

if you want more options (VPN, Adblocking, QoS, etc) install the kamoj addon. You can get it from https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-v5-for-netgear-r7800-x4s-and-r9000-x10.60590/

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7