Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyShare Vault: How to get Synology NAS to show up on backup drives list

Suwaneegal
Aspirant

ReadyShare Vault: How to get Synology NAS to show up on backup drives list

I just got a new router.  I can see my NAS via Windows but it doesn't show up as a backup option for Ready
Share Vault.  I have hit refresh and it still doesn't show up.  How can I get RSV to recognize it?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Suwaneegal
Aspirant

Re: ReadyShare Vault: How to get Synology NAS to show up on backup drives list

I was busy and didn't look at this until today.  I thought I had looked here before but maybe not.

After reading your comment, I went to step 2 and saw my NAS on the list of drives.  Then I went back to step 1 and my mapped network folder was there.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11

All Replies

@Suwaneegal wrote:

I just got a new router. 

Care to tell us what it is?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

@Suwaneegal wrote:

I can see my NAS via Windows .... 

How? As a mapped drive?

Message 2 of 11

In Backup, have you looked Step 2, Select Additional Files/Folder?

I see the network here, along with NAS drives.

Message 3 of 11
Suwaneegal
Aspirant

I was busy and didn't look at this until today.  I thought I had looked here before but maybe not.

After reading your comment, I went to step 2 and saw my NAS on the list of drives.  Then I went back to step 1 and my mapped network folder was there.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 11
Suwaneegal
Aspirant

Your second comment and perhaps being more patient helped my solve my problem.

But, please try to avoid comments like "Care to tell you what it is?" that can be interpreted as condescending.  A simple, "What kind of router do you have?" would do the job.  

I didn't feel the need to list the router as I felt it was a Windows based software issue.

Message 5 of 11
antinode
Guru

> I didn't feel the need to list the router as I felt it was a Windows
> based software issue.

That's why you posted your question in a "Home Networking > WiFi
Routers > Nighthawk WiFi Routers" forum instead of, say, an NAS or
Windows forum somewhere?

> [...] But, please try to avoid comments [...] that can be interpreted
> as condescending. [...]

It's hard not to be "condescending" to someone who, in a router
forum, leads with "I just got a new router," and then provides no
information about that "new router".  Either you're wasting everyone's
time with irrelevant information, or you're omitting obviously
significant information.  Or you're completely lost.  (Or some
combination.)

Message 6 of 11
Suwaneegal
Aspirant

I sincerely hope you don't work in Customer Support somewhere.  You have no people skills.  It just takes a little effort to be kind to people and help out the people who aren't as skilled as you (technically wise).  Forums are for people of all skill levels to seek help.  When I worked in IT support, I sought first to seek out information from users in a gentle way and not to judge them or make them feel as if they were stupid or beneath me.

And as I said, it was an app issue not a router issue.

I usually try to be polite, but you are a jerk.  Is trolling people on the Internet a hobby of yours? It's is unfotunate this forum doesn't have a downvote option because you deserve this for your post..

The comment wasn't made to you and it was made in a constructive way...so way all the anger and ugliness??  You didn't have a dog in this fight so why go out of your way to be mean?

Message 7 of 11
antinode
Guru

> I usually try to be polite, [...]

How "polite" is it to post a question in an inappropriate forum, and
either include irrelevant information, or omit significant information?
Is wasting the time of volunteers, who would like to be helpful,
"polite"?

> [...] why go out of your way to be mean?

Just offering some constructive criticism to someone who seems to
need some help in forming a techical question.  I suspected that it
might fail.

Message 8 of 11

@Suwaneegal wrote:

But, please try to avoid comments like "Care to tell you what it is?" that can be interpreted as condescending.  A simple, "What kind of router do you have?" would do the job.  

I did not want to know what type of router you own. I wanted to know which router you owned.

Netgear tries to be helpful by suggesting information that punters should provide when they ask for help:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason. Without that information, troubleshooting can be a long drawn out process as we extract important details from the people seeking help.

@Suwaneegal wrote:

I didn't feel the need to list the router as I felt it was a Windows based software issue.

That demonstrates a poor understanding of how these things work. ReadyShare will not work in the same way on every device. It also varies with firmware changes. So saying how it does things on my router may be irrelevant to you, and even misleading.

It turns out that your guess was probably wrong. Who knows? Your "Solved" message shows that either you weren't paying attention before you asked your question, or that you subsequently did something to fix it that you haven't told us about.

Message 9 of 11
Suwaneegal
Aspirant

All I was saying is wow.  We all need to chill a little bit.  What happened to kindly directly someone to the right place or ask politely for additonal informaton when needed?  I was  just expressing my feeling that "Care to tell.." made me feel talked down to.  A more straightforward question would not have done this-- like my example question which really wasn't meant to be the exact question you should have asked.  Just an example on how to ask an non-offending question.  Sorry for being too big picture on that one.

I can honestly tell you all I did was restart the ReadyShare Vault (RSV) app, went to option 2 as you suggested and clicked on "Select Additional Files/Folders and I saw a box containting all of my Windows file info (this info wasn't there when I first opened the RSV app and yes I did hit fresh and still saw nothing).  I then went back to step one and saw a mapped network drive from my NAS.  So, I mapped another file to use for my backup and the job was done.  So, your info was helpful because it spurred me to try again and I saw info that new information had been populated that wasn't there when I first tried the app..

So my solved message doesn't that I wasn't paying attention before I asked the question or that I subsequently did something to fix it that I hadn't told you about.  Once again, you have overstepped into the realm of being unnecessary offensive.  

Message 10 of 11
Suwaneegal
Aspirant

There is no polite or impolite when making an innocent or honest mistake.  If you think helping people who are new to something or not a tech wizard is a waste of your time, then you shouldn't volunteer.

And,  criticism conveyed with inappropriate tone and language can never be considered constructive.  

You again feel the need to be personally insulting.  So, really stop doing this if you not willing to help anyone you perceive not to be as smart as you think you are.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7