Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyShare vault doesn't recognise USB drive

jmohd7
Aspirant

ReadyShare vault doesn't recognise USB drive

Over the past year, I've been using the Readyshare vault feature with my router and a Seagate 8TB USB drive on the USB 3 port on my router.

In the past month, the vault software says it cannot detect any hard drive, i reinstalled the software and even bought a new harddrive, and the software still tells me that there is no readyshare drive connected.

can anyone please help me?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

@jmohd7 wrote:

Over the past year, I've been using the Readyshare vault feature with my router and a Seagate 8TB USB drive on the USB 3 port on my router.

That is truly strange. I have never seen reports of drives that big working with Readyshare.

There is a constant stream of messages here from people who can't get large drives to work.

Previously reported limits are 4TB. Even then, only some drives work.

ReadySHARE USB Drives Compatibility List | Answer | NETGEAR Support

What firmware version do you have on the R8500?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Maybe an "upgrade" sometime the line brought your router into line with the rest.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies

@jmohd7 wrote:

That is truly strange. I have never seen reports of drives that big working with Readyshare.

There is a constant stream of messages here from people who can't get large drives to work.

Previously reported limits are 4TB. Even then, only some drives work.

ReadySHARE USB Drives Compatibility List | Answer | NETGEAR Support

What firmware version do you have on the R8500?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Maybe an "upgrade" sometime the line brought your router into line with the rest.

Message 2 of 4
IrvSp
Master

@jmohd7, just like @michaelkenward, I too have never heard of ANYONE being able to use a USB drive over 4TB?

I also do think the R8500 and R9000 has different coding supporting SHARES for USB drives. The WS-Discovery Protocol might be enabled on them and that might be why it works.

Question, on the LAN, using Windows can you see the drive in Windows Explorer? Does it work in that you can both read and write to it?

What is the model of the drive and the new one?

Just curious as I have no clue how to fix your problem, sorry, but I am interested how you can see and use an 8TB drive?

Message 3 of 4
jmohd7
Aspirant

Thank you all for the replies and the information.

I used to be able to back up to the Seagate 8TB drive for a while, but now that you all have mentioned it, it did stop working after the two latest firmware updates. 

HD Brand and Model: Seagate Expansion 8TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEB8000100)

Current router firmware:  V1.0.2.128

As for the question on the LAN, using Windows can you see the drive in Windows Explorer? Does it work in that you can both read and write to it?

the answer is no to both questions.

I appreciate your responses and thank you both for the assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7