× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas NV+ Can't Boot

bobpunch
Aspirant

Readynas NV+ Can't Boot

I acquired a second hand ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4000V3 with 4 x 2TB disks. I has trouble booting so I tried a Factory Reset. However it now won't perfom any boot functions at all so i need to try a Boot Recovery USB.

Can anyone provide me with the procedures and comands to do this on a MAC please

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 11
microchip8
Master

Re: Readynas NV+ Can't Boot

Message 2 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@bobpunch wrote:

I acquired a second hand ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4000V3 with 4 x 2TB disks. I has trouble booting so I tried a Factory Reset. However it now won't perfom any boot functions at all so i need to try a Boot Recovery USB.

Have you checked the status with RAIDar?  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Also, are you seeing any indications of power?  Any messages on the LCD display?

Message 3 of 11
bobpunch
Aspirant

When pressing Power Button it blinks for about 30 secs then goes of. Display says Booting Please wait.

No disk activity during this time however disk LEDS flsh once. Display says Booting Please wait when power LED off. No connection available from RAIDar on MAC

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@bobpunch wrote:

When pressing Power Button it blinks for about 30 secs then goes of. Display says Booting Please wait.

No disk activity during this time however disk LEDS flsh once. Display says Booting Please wait when power LED off. No connection available from RAIDar on MAC

Try removing the disks with the NAS powered down, and then power up.  You should see a  "no disks" indication on the display and from RAIDar.  Let us know if you see that.

What disks are you using?  Did they come with the NAS, or are they newly purchased?

Message 5 of 11
bobpunch
Aspirant

Tried removing disks and power on but no meassage about no disks just Booting meaasge.

Disks come with unit I brought 2nd hand which was working originallly till I tried factory reset.

I think it is failing any power on tests and never gets to boot phase,

Bob

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I guess it could be the power, but it could be something else in the chassis hardware.  About the only things you can replace are the PSU and the memory.  

Perhaps @Sandshark or @mdgm will have some troubleshooting ideas.

Does the unit say NV+on the front panel?

Or does it say NV+ v2?

Message 7 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't know of anything in a factory default that would cause that.  But that you did it because you were having problems with access is an indicator that the power supply may be the cause, and it just got worse due to time, not anything you did.

But a problem with the flash could also cause the problem you are seeing, I believe, so it's worth trying first.  Unfortunately, I know of no method of creating the recovery key on a Mac.

Given the age of your unit, the power supply is a real possibility.  There is not any really good way to troubleshoot that except by replacement.  Be aware that while the power connector looks like a standard ATX 20 pin, it has a slightly different wiring.  An adapter can be made, or pins can be swapped, but don't just plug in a supply that looks like it will work.

I use an adapter cable and a standard ATX supply externally to test if a power supply replacement is the solution.  The adapter can be made from a 24-pin to 20-pin ATX conversion cable, but it's not worth doing that unless you already have a supply to use with it.  And being a Mac user, I doubt you do.

Unfortunately, that leaves you in a bad place.  How much money do you want to spend to try to resurrect a 10+ year old NAS, especially if you are unsure it will even work?

Message 8 of 11
bobpunch
Aspirant

Thank you for detail. I have come to same conclusion as it does noy attempt to boot but just turns off.

f it's Flash is there  a method of creating the recovery key on a Windows 10 PC?

I will look for a replacement power supply on line to see cost.

Bob

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@bobpunch wrote:

I will look for a replacement power supply on line to see cost.

The NV+ uses a non-standard pinout, so you might need to modify that before you use the supply.

Message 10 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

IMHO, a complete NV+ isn't worth much more than the cost of a replacement supply, at least if you get one already modified for the ReadyNAS.  Given that you don't even know if that's the problem, it's a risky buy.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements