Re: Readyshare USB Flash Drive Not Recognized - Nighthawk R7000

Lon5280
Guide

Readyshare USB Flash Drive Not Recognized - Nighthawk R7000

I've tried 2 differnt Sandisk 128GB USB 3.0 Flash drives in the Nighthawk R7000 USB ports.  It doesn't recognize them, but they work fine in my PC.   I've tried exFAT and NTFS and neither format works.  Interestingly, I had success with an old 8GB FAT32 USB, which Readyshare idenitifed fine.  I've also noticed the USB Flash drives gets very hot.

Any ideas?  Do I need an external powered usb hub?

Thanks,

Lon.

Message 1 of 51
Lon5280
Guide

Ok, so I found the below...  I see that exFAT is not supported, bummer.  But I had reformatted one of the Flash Drives to NTFS already and it still didn't work. Since I used Quick Format, I'm reformatting again using standard NTFS formatting. I'll try again when that is done.     

What are the USB drive requirements for my Nighthawk router?

The router works with most USB-compliant external flash and hard drives.

Some USB external hard drives and flash drives require you to load the drivers onto the computer before the computer can access the USB device. Such USB devices do not work with the router.

The router supports the following file system types for full read/write access:

• FAT16, FAT32
  • NTFS
  • NTFS with compression format enabled
  • Ext2, Ext3, Ext4
  • XFS
  • HFS
  • HFS+
Message 2 of 51
Lon5280
Guide

Completed a full NTFS format of my USB flash and the R7000 doesn't see it at all.

The Netgear website say NTFS is supported so I have no idea what is the problem

Please help.

Thanks,

Lon

Message 3 of 51
Lon5280
Guide

is anyone else having this problem, or having success with a large USB flashdrive formatted NTFS?

stuck and frustrated.

thank you.

Lon

Message 4 of 51
Lon5280
Guide

okay now this is getting rediculous...

I used a 3rd party utiility to reformat my 128GB Sandisk USB3.0 flash drive to FAT32 and that worked fine.  I plugged in the USB to the router and nothing. 

So NTFS and FAT32 both didn't work.  But 2 other smaller drives by other manufacturer did work.  I'm starting to suspect that Sandisk and Netgear don't play nice.

I'm going to order my 3rd new USB on this little project and this time I'm going to order Kingston, since my older 32GB Kingston USB worked fine. I hope someone will chime in if htere is a limit on the size of a USB that the R7000 can handle or some other issue.

Message 5 of 51
Lon5280
Guide

I formatted my 2nd Sandisk 128GB flash drive to FAT32 and it also did not work.  For the moment I am running a 32GB flash drive (FAT32) no problem. Next, I'll ordered a Kingston 64GB Flash Drive so I'll report what happens.  I'm not sure if the issue is the drive size or just a compatibility issue with Sandisk. But I'd really like to get my whole music collection on one flash drive shared on my network using the Nighthawk USB feature.

Is anyone else having problems or success with large memory size flash drives?

Message 6 of 51
Lon5280
Guide

Tried a 5th USB Flash drive.  Kingston USB 3.0 64GB with FAT32 out of the box.  Did not work.  Of 5 flash drives:

Worked:
OCZTechnology 8GB USB 2.0 formatted FAT32
SP 32GB USB 2.0 formatted FAT32

Didn't Work:
Sandisk 128GB USB 3.0 exFAT, FAT32 and NTFS
Sandisk 128GB USB 3.0 exFAT, FAT32 and NTFS different model
Kingston 64GB USB 3.0 exFAT, FAT32, and NTFS

All of the above work just fine in my laptop.

Conclusions:
The issue must be that the NightHawk R7000 has a limit on how much memory it can support via attached USB flash OR more likely that larger USBs require more power draw than the router can support without external power support. The only other alternatives I can think of are a problem with firmware or I have bad unit.  I think these are less likely root causes.

I'm getting kind of tired investing so much time and money to solve this, but it seams one solution might be to try a USB Hub with an independant power supply.

It would be really great to get some help from the community on this.

Thanks in advance,
Lon.

Message 7 of 51
Cdchampion
Aspirant

Im having this same Issue. I have an external SSD that works just fine. But the problem with thtat is that it has security software installed. And I DO want to utilize the encryption software. Since theres no way to initialize the software remotely, Im stuck trying to find another device to use with ReadyShare. SO I formatted my old SanDisk convertable (micro usb/USB 3.0) and came into this same problem. Being which that the router (AC1600) Is not detecting the USB at all. Tried several formatting techniques and file systems. Though no sucess. 

Message 8 of 51
Texxen
Aspirant

I have tried Netgears latest firmware 1.0.6.54 (7/18/2016) and had a Sandisk Ultrafit 64gb show up and work on usb 3.0 until I reboot router.
So its probably a Netgear firmware problem that is not fixed yet. (NTFS formatted)
Message 9 of 51
VE6CGX
Master

Seems like router does not like USB3 drives. Tried with formatted with two partitions? Trked with GPT format?

Message 10 of 51

I'm having the same issue on a new R7800 Nighthawk X4S.
Latest firmware is installed. Thumb drive is a 64gb USB 3.0 card reader. Card and Reader works fine everywhere else it's plugged in. Nighthawk lights up its little light but acts like nothing is there. Re oops, making it an "approved device", changing to the other USB port... Nothing helps.

It's almost impossible to believe that in 2016 a brand new $200+ router can't recognize the 10 year old defacto cross-compatible file system for thumb drives. Isn't that the whole point of having the USB 3.0 port as a feature of the router? Something else must be going on?? If it truly was limited to 30 year old file systems and a 32GB maximum it would have to be showing up as a major complaint in dozens of online reviews...?
Does Netgear ever chime in on these forums?

Message 11 of 51

^^ "Re oops" = "Reboots, "
Message 12 of 51
StephenB
Guru

What file system format are you talking about? 

Message 13 of 51

ExFat. Sorry was going from above, Lon's second post.
Message 14 of 51

Related info on Quora:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-file-format-for-a-USB-3-0-flash-drive

And good ol' Wikipedia..
"... exFAT has been adopted by the SD Card Association as the default file system for SDXC cards larger than 32 GiB...

exFAT is also supported in a number of media devices such as modern flat panel TVs,[4] media centers, and portable media players.[5]

Some vendors of flash media, including USB pen drives, compact flash (CF) and solid state drives (SSD) are shipping from the factory with some of their high capacity media pre-formatted with the exFAT file system. For example, Sandisk ships their 256 GB CF cards as exFAT."

FWIW etc.

Message 15 of 51
StephenB
Guru

@SuperGrover2pt0 wrote:
ExFat. Sorry was going from above, Lon's second post.

Thx for clarifying.  Though he found other formats (ntfs for instance) weren't working for him either.

I agree exFat should work on Nighthawk..

Message 16 of 51
TomaszW
Guide

I have exactly the same issue with my R7800. No USB drive formatted to either FAT32 or NTFS is recognized. I am really $#%#^$% i spent so much money on this router

Message 17 of 51
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

You can check the KB article below for supported file system.

http://kb.netgear.com/24059/What-are-the-USB-drive-requirements-for-my-Nighthawk-router?cid=wmt_netg...

Message 18 of 51
TomaszW
Guide

I am using NTFS. Is there any way to fix this with firmware before i send it for RMA?

Message 19 of 51
JamesGL
Master

Hi TomaszW,

Check the KB article below for list of compatible external drives.

http://kb.netgear.com/18985/ReadySHARE-USB-Drives-Compatibility-List

Message 20 of 51
TomaszW
Guide

Thanks. Unfortunately I do not have any of the listed devices. It seems like most of it is not even sold in Europe.

In any case my other routers: 6 year old asus rt-n56u, linksys wrt1900acs, xiaomi mi 3 recognize all of them so Netgear has to stop hiding themselves behind a silly list of few compatible devices and FIX the issue.
Message 21 of 51
TomaszW
Guide

I got PNY 128GB USB 3.0 drive and with latest firmware it detects it (it actually detects any usb now) and can set it up but after few minutes it is being disconnected. Only reboot or unplugging and replugging makes it visible again. Then the problem repeats.

Either my router is faulty or this is firmware bug.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/Nighthawk-X4S-D7800-usb-drive-disappearing/m-p/1...

Message 22 of 51
JamesGL
Master

Hi TomaszW,

Reset the router to factory default and manually reconfigure.

Message 23 of 51
JamesGL
Master

Hi TomaszW,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 24 of 51
TomaszW
Guide

Hello,

So far I did only factory reset and restore settings from backup. I have 25 devices for which i have change qos settings so having to reconfigure manually is not somehhing i want to try. Thats is why there is an option to back up settings in first place. Maybe you can recommend how to edit backup file to remove the setting that is troublesome according to you.
Message 25 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E