Re: Readyshare USB Flash Drive Not Recognized - Nighthawk R7000

JamesGL
Master

Hi TomaszW,

You can post that request under Idea Exchange board.

Message 26 of 51
CLH_WY
Aspirant

NTFS simply DOES NOT work using the 3.0 USB port with a Sandisk jump drive.  Threre is clearly a compatibility issue.  Until this is resolved you should really put that caveat into your on line documentation.  

Message 27 of 51
mattihel
Aspirant

Hi

I have bought new Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 and having problem, when trying to create folder on USB disk. Updated to latest firmware V1.0.2.20.

Disk is Seagate Expansion Desk 3TB USB3.0. It is recognized in router and in Windows10 pc.

When trying to create folder in disk, is says "Item not found, Could not find this item. This is no longer located in ...".

Only "New Folder" is created.

It cannot be renamed either.

What I am doing wrong here?

Message 28 of 51
JamesGL
Master

Hi mattihel,

Contact support team since your issue is different from the thread.

Message 29 of 51
pierrrke
Guide

I have had A 32gb transcend working just fine on USB3 port until latest fw update on R7000. Older 8gb sandisk kept working. I am sick of netgear and will switch to ASUS  as Netgear does not have things under control. Probably Netgear will not exit in 2019 as selfdestruction is on going and will prevent you from buying netgear in the first place.

Message 30 of 51
JamesGL
Master

Hi pierrrke,

Try to reset the router and check if the USB will be detected. Will your computer detects the USB when it is connected directly to it?

Message 31 of 51
pierrrke
Guide

Hi, tnx for help. W10 computers and laptop recognizes usb stick just fine. Tried a soft reset and switched router off and on. Als pulled out the stick 1-2 mm as post say sometimes there is no physicsl contact of the pins on usb3 port r7000. I am using fw 1.0.7.12_1.2.5, dutch. Tried loggin out and for readycloud. All without succes. Using the 32gb for remote storage when i am away.
Message 32 of 51
JamesGL
Master

Hi pierrrke,

Try to reformat the drive and use NTFS.

Message 33 of 51
pierrrke
Guide

Tnx, already done, quick and long format ntfs makes no difference

Message 34 of 51
maguggi
Aspirant

Quite similar problem here. I've been connected to my USB3.0 stick since i bought my R7000 (a few noths ago). Everything worked proper, could copy files onto the stick etc. Today, I had connection to the USB for a while and suddenly, I lost connection and could not reconnect.

At home, I tried to connect via home-network, didn't have any chance to see the USB. I made a factory reset, did not change anything. Finally, I had to plug in the USB at the USB2.0 port, and now, the USB is reachable.

Any recommendation how to fix this?

Maguggi

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 35 of 51
JamesGL
Master

Hi maguggi,

What is the firmware version of the router? Make sure to update it.

Try to plug a different USB drive on USB 3.0.

Message 36 of 51
maguggi
Aspirant

Firmware is V1.07.12_1.2.5. Should I update to the latest North America Version (btw, what is the difference?).

I tried an older USB-stick on the USB3 port,. The older one was recognised and works fine. I actually do not have another USB3.0 USB-Stick to try.

Regards Maguggi

Message 37 of 51
JamesGL
Master

Hi maguggi,

Try to update using the NA version. Reset the router as well and reconfigure.

Message 38 of 51
maguggi
Aspirant

Hi JamesGL

I did so as recommanded. After the update (without reset, without reconfigure), everything works well.

Thanks

Message 39 of 51
JamesGL
Master

Hi maguggi,

Glad to know it works for you.

Message 40 of 51
maguggi
Aspirant

Hi JamesGL

Finally, it seems to be an issue with the USB-stick itself. The USB Stick wasn't recognised at a later stage (while copying files from the stick, I lost connection to the stick). The stick wasn't recognised either on a USB2 port or on a USB3 port on my Laptop. The USB stick works in my office on a USB3 port only, if the USB stick is not fully inserted... I didn't try this 'not fully insertet' - workaround at home.

As soon as I have another USB3 stick, I'll give a tray on the USB3 port of the R7000

Regars Maguggi

Message 41 of 51
Cheemag
Aspirant

GA

Yes, I had the same problem. 128GB Samsung flash drive. Worked OK for months, then following a router firmware update, stopped working, although the update may be a coincidence.

I loaded in last month's saved settings for the router and all was well for a day or two then it went missing again.

The flash drive works perfectly well in two other Windows 7 computers. It was NTFS formatted.

I recovered the files from the Samsung drive and put them on a 16GB capacity flash drive of another make, and so far it is working normally.

I feel increasingly that it's either a sensitivity to the drives of one manufacturer or capacities above a particular size.

The Samsung was purchased from Amazon so it's unlikely to be a fake.

Regards

Cheemag

Message 42 of 51
quang4ngo
Tutor

The firmware should have the option to allow the user to format their drives.  If it detects an unsupported filesystem on the drive, it should prompt the user to format with confirmation.

Message 43 of 51
jpain3
Tutor

This problem (large USB 3.0 NTFS drives not being recognized) seems to have been going on for YEARS at this point. I'm having the same issue, having already reformatted my drive from exFAT (whose absence from the supported filesystems is a massive miss in-of-itself) to NTFS and copying the 300+GB of data from a backup drive each time.

I bought this drive in part for the stated ability to mount drives as network storage, as stated on the box. I've reformatted my 4TB WD easystore several times trying to get this basic feature to work. 

Per this article, I reformatted my HDD to NTFS, despite no such limitation being communicated on the advertising/listing/box:

https://kb.netgear.com/24059/What-are-the-USB-drive-requirements-for-my-Nighthawk-router

Per this article, Netgear apparently hasn't tested a single HDD on my router, despite it being an advertised feature:

https://kb.netgear.com/18985/Will-my-USB-drive-work-with-ReadySHARE

Is this a real feature? Is this false advertising on your part, or a broken device needing an RMA?

Please advise, I've wasted too much time already trying to get your product to behave as advertised and am extremely frustrated.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 44 of 51
jpain3
Tutor

Shortly after posting the above, I found a beta firmware here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000053180/R6700-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-38-Hot-Fix

It appear to have fixed my issue!

I'm still frustrated that the issue took this much work/research to resolve, considering it's a promised feature on the box, and that I had to hunt down a beta that was only released on 12/22/2017 (nearly TWO YEARS after the issue was first raised in this forum).

I hope this helps someone else as well!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 45 of 51
Cinton27
Aspirant

Do a hard reset on router.

Message 46 of 51
gizmojoe
Initiate

Of course now that I want to chase it down, the link to the bets code no longer exists.  I am running V1.0.8.34_1.2.15 which appears to be newer than the beta code so you;d thinnk that Netgear would have incorporated the fix into the 1.0.8.34 code but noOOOoooo.  Similar problems as everyone else. So frustrating. 

Message 47 of 51
Fuzzball27
Aspirant

SOLUTION

Hi everyone, I ran across this thread today in hopes of finding a solution. You can imagine my dissapointment when I saw that people have been dealing with the problem for years... Anyway, I found a working solution! For the non tech-savvy folks, this really isn't too bad, just follow instructions carefully.

1. Install Ubuntu on a flash drive and run in live mode: https://youtu.be/n-nS660EmYM

Note that computers may have different BIOS keys (F11,F12, F2, Delete). Look up which one your computer uses. Also, note that selecting your boot drive may look very different from this video (mine is far more simple). Search specifically for a tutorial on your computer's boot menu.

2. Open Terminal

3. Type "sudo su" (without quotes)

4. Type "gparted"

A window will pop up running the linux partitioning software.

5. Select the USB drive you would like to use with your router from the dropdown menu in the upper right corner.

You must be ABSOLUTELY SURE that you have selected the correct drive.

If you're not sure which drive to select, unplug the drive and restart gparted to see which one goes missing.

6. Delete EVERYTHING on the drive by selecting each partition and clicking the delete button, individually per partition.

Note that you must click the apply checkmark for changes to take effect.

7. Create a new partition on the drive by clicking the button in the upper left (it looks like a file with a shiny new corner).
Name the hard drive whatever you want, but stick to alphanumeric characters and use an underscore instead of spaces.
Select "ext4" as the format (this is the MOST IMPORTANT PART!)

Apply changes. The hard drive is now ready for use in the router.

Model: R6800|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 48 of 51
NatoBoram
Tutor

Re: SOLUTION

People shouldn't have to install a foreign operating system in order to use their router, that's insane. Now, I agree that Windows is quite bad at filesystems, but that's another topic. NetGear should support open source filesystems since it's beneficial to their products and it's free.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 49 of 51
NatoBoram
Tutor

Re: SOLUTION

Sorry, you've run out of time to edit this message.

Oh, this forum is so condescending.

Anyway, I was going to say that I just tried exactly this, and, nope, my router doesn't detect Ext4 USB keys, nor XFS keys, as mentioned in the official documentation. I tried both MBR and GPT, both Ext4 and XFS, both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, nothing works. I could only get MBR/NTFS to work previously, but now I doubt I'm going to get that to work again after meeting so many failures on NetGear's part.

And now, what happens? I just formatted the same key to GPT/NTFS and it works. I am so thoroughly disappointed in my router. Why are they locked to one single filesystem if the knowledge base clearly has a list of compatible filesystems which included Ext4 and XFS?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 50 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements