Readyshare not detecting new hard drive

tpoulet
Aspirant

Readyshare not detecting new hard drive

I recently purchased a new 8TB external hard drive to replace a 3TB hard drive.  The old drive was connected to my router and I was able to access it fine throught the Readyshare access.  The new hard drive is not detected once connected to the router.  The hard drives are same brand and series.

Tried rebooting router.  Updating firmware. Nothng.

Any idea what's going on.

Message 1 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Re: Readyshare not detecting new hard drive

Hi tpoulet,

Check the list of the compatible drives for your router. The maximum capacity is 4TB. It could be the reason why the router cannot detect the drive.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18985/~/readyshare-usb-drives-compatibility-list?cid=w...

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 2 of 8

@tpoulet wrote:

I recently purchased a new 8TB external hard drive to replace a 3TB hard drive.

JamesGL, who knows about these things, doesn't mention that if you search around here, you will find that other people have had problems with massive USB drives.

And this isn't just a Netgear issue. It can take hardware makers, including producers of motherboards, some time to catch up with the arrival of big drives.

It probably doesn't make any difference, but you might also look at the disk format of the device.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 8
tpoulet
Aspirant

Yeah.  Turns out I found that out just before reading your post.  It's a bummer cuz I wanted to make a long term purchase and 4TB just wouldn't be enough for what I wanted to do.

I'll have to return the drive then.  Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 8
IrvSp
Master

Try formatting it to 2 4TB partitions. Maybe it will see them both and you could use it that way?

Message 5 of 8

I've often wondered if Rapidshare can see more than one parition on a USB drive.

Anyone tried it?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 8
tpoulet
Aspirant

Just did.  No dice.  Didn't work.  Still doesn't see the drive.

Message 7 of 8

Thanks for trying.

It is as I feared. The USB function on a router probably can't cope with complicated things like partitioned drives.

Just another user.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E