Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readyshare share set to admin but fails asking for windows credentials

tgus
Follower

Readyshare share set to admin but fails asking for windows credentials

I have read the other threads on this issue. None of those solutions worked.

Environment:

- New Lenovo Yoga 910, Windows 10 Home. 

- R7900 updated with current  Firmware Version V1.0.1.12_10.0.17.

- USB HD is a Seagate Backup Plus Drive 4GB. 

- View from my laptop command prompt: 

C:\>net view \\readyshare
Shared resources at \\readyshare

readyshare

Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Data Disk read:all-no password;write:all-no password
Ted Disk read:admin;write:admin
The command completed successfully

- I can access Data share no problem and can write to the disk, but when I access the Ted share, I get "Windows Security - Enter Network Credentials..." I have tried my windows un/pw, the router admin/pw, and even setup Windows User Credentials with both users and also used \\192.168.1.1 in the sharename. All failed.

- I've rebooted the router.

- Removed all shares, rebooted router and recreated different name shares.

- I have checked "File Sharing Connections = 128 bit" and have Password Protected Sharing "On." The thread that explored toggling those options didn't work so I have not turned those off... I would like to keep them on.

I have not:

- factory reset the router, but "shouldn't" need to take that time to reconfig everything.

- rebooted the laptop... I will try that after finishing this post.

Windows uses a Share Access Token but has fewer permission options (Full Control, Change & Read) than a NTFS file system access token. I suspect something is going on with what the Nighthawk is returning and how windows sees it. Just for grins, I put the HD on my laptop, saw it was formatted NTFS and made sure every user had access to the file system just in case something was happening with how Readyshare was presenting the file system. I realize it is a share problem... just ruling our strange non-explicable permissions issues.

Certainly it shouldn't be this hard. Ideas?

Thanks Heaps!

(I might add that having to give the router's admin password out for anyone to access the disk is not good design to say the least. Yes, I know. Give them the Guest network because Guest access can't see the disk BUT a much better solution would be to have the Netgear Readyshare software configure a user or two with a separate configurable password to be assigned to the share... Shouldn't be that hard to implement.??? It may save some of this grief too?)

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Windows will only let you use one set of credentials with 192.168.1.1 at a time (that is a windows restriction).

So if you access the Data share, Windows will first look in the credentials manager, and see if there is a username/password stored for 192.168.1.1.  If there is, it will use it.  Otherwise it will use your windows username/password.

Once that happens, you can't change credentials unless you terminate the windows session for the data share (which sometimes remains after you close the file manager window).  You can test this possibility by running CMD and entering

net use * /delete

net use t: \\192.168.1.1\ted /user:admin router-admin-password

This assumes that "ted" is the share name for the Ted disk.  The first command deletes all open windows sharing sessions, the second attempts to map the ted share to drive letter t of the PC.

One work-around is to always use \\192.168.1.1 when you access Ted, and always use \\readyshare when you access Data.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
William10a
Master

Data Disk read:all-no password;write:all-no password
Ted Disk read:admin;write:admin
The command completed successfully

You have your data disk read and write set for all-no password so why are you using admin on TED disk normally admin needs a password and user name but none are setup in the data disk read and write section.

If your interested in letting guest access to movies and files of your choice try a nas server that is lan based you could setup private ip server and have own username and password so it would never see your network.

An older computer and nas software that be found on the internet for free is a great place to start from.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Windows will only let you use one set of credentials with 192.168.1.1 at a time (that is a windows restriction).

So if you access the Data share, Windows will first look in the credentials manager, and see if there is a username/password stored for 192.168.1.1.  If there is, it will use it.  Otherwise it will use your windows username/password.

Once that happens, you can't change credentials unless you terminate the windows session for the data share (which sometimes remains after you close the file manager window).  You can test this possibility by running CMD and entering

net use * /delete

net use t: \\192.168.1.1\ted /user:admin router-admin-password

This assumes that "ted" is the share name for the Ted disk.  The first command deletes all open windows sharing sessions, the second attempts to map the ted share to drive letter t of the PC.

One work-around is to always use \\192.168.1.1 when you access Ted, and always use \\readyshare when you access Data.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7