Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Red LED Light

bhre
Aspirant

Red LED Light

I have setup this router for my wifi network.  All of the applicable LED lights are on that correspond with the various connections.  The lights are white except for the light corresponding with the ethernet connection which is red.  Everything appears to be working fine.  My question is why is the ethernet light red and not white?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 8
microchip8
Master

Re: Red LED Light

which "ethernet connection"? There are 4 of them. If all is working properly, then red/amber light means the link is 10 or more likely 100 Mbps instead of 1 Gbps

Message 2 of 8
bhre
Aspirant

The ethernet cable is connected to 1.  I tried 3 & 4 and they both showed red.  The connection 3 is connected to the computer and is white.

The only purpose for the ethernet cable that I know of is to provide my cable/internet provider with access to their cable boxes and the internet.  They provide me with 100 Mbps download speed.  So, if I understand your comment, the light will continue to be red until I have 1 Gbps internet speed.

Message 3 of 8
microchip8
Master

No, it means the network chip that your (unspecified) device uses and the router reports as red/amber is operating at 100 Mbps. If the chip is Gbps-capable, it will show white color.

Message 4 of 8
bhre
Aspirant

I will admit that I am not very tech savy.  I am not sure what is the "unspecifed device".  From the wall outlet the cable connects to a small black box about the size of an iphone that is provided by Suddenlink, my cable/internet provider.  It is labeled Actiontec ECB2500C.  It has two cable conntections, one for the inlet signal and one that goes to my modem (Arris SURFboard SB 6121), and a port for the ethernet cable which connects to the new wifi router.  Besides the cable connection, the modem has the internet cable that goes to the ethernet port on the wifi router.  From the router, there is a cable connected to one of the ethernet ports that goes to my computer.  As I have said, everything appears to be working fine.  I don't want to continue to bother you with my lack of knowledge, but is there something that I should be concerned about with the red light, or when should I be concerned?

I do thank you for your patience and comments in answering my questions.

Message 5 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] the light corresponding with the ethernet connection which is
> red. [...]

"the ethernet connection" to _what_?  An Ethernet cable has two ends.
Follow it to the other end?

> [...] My question is why is the ethernet light red and not white?

If your "red" is what Netgear calls "amber", then you might try this
radical concept (which works for some people):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.
Look for the LED descriptions.  Further reading might not hurt, either.

Message 6 of 8
microchip8
Master

@bhre wrote:

I will admit that I am not very tech savy.  I am not sure what is the "unspecifed device".  From the wall outlet the cable connects to a small black box about the size of an iphone that is provided by Suddenlink, my cable/internet provider.  It is labeled Actiontec ECB2500C.  It has two cable conntections, one for the inlet signal and one that goes to my modem (Arris SURFboard SB 6121), and a port for the ethernet cable which connects to the new wifi router.  Besides the cable connection, the modem has the internet cable that goes to the ethernet port on the wifi router.  From the router, there is a cable connected to one of the ethernet ports that goes to my computer.  As I have said, everything appears to be working fine.  I don't want to continue to bother you with my lack of knowledge, but is there something that I should be concerned about with the red light, or when should I be concerned?

I do thank you for your patience and comments in answering my questions.

If all is working, it means you should not be concerned. Your modem most likely has a 100 Mbps chip inside and that's why your WAN port is red/amber. Your LAN port where your PC is connected to is white which means your PC has a 1 Gbps chip inside so the router reports that as white

Message 7 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] Actiontec ECB2500C [...]

That's a MoCA adapter.

> [...] the ethernet port on the wifi router. [...]

_Which_ one?  There are five.

If a device has different types of ports, then "connected to device"
is not enough detail.  That holds for the router, the MoCA adapter, and
the modem.  A better description of what's connected to what might be
helpful.

> [...] Your modem most likely has a 100 Mbps chip inside and that's why
> your WAN port is red/amber. [...]

Please read the User Manual (for a change) before babbling.  The
color of the WAN/Internet LED does _not_ indicate the speed of the
physical link on the WAN/Internet Ethernet port.

Then check the specs on an "Arris SURFboard SB 6121", and its
"Gigabit Ethernet Connectivity".

https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/ConsumerProductDetail?p=a0ha000000GNcscAAD

"most likely", the one thing this forum does _not_ need is more
confident but uninformed guessing.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7