Red blinking ethernet light

Phayt
Tutor

Red blinking ethernet light

My Router (R9000 (4MY16A5900AD7)) has been working great for a year or so. I was gaming on a rather hot day and suddenly lost connection.  When I checked the Router, the ethernet light was blinking RED (not amber).

My configuration is: my cable modem is connected to the Wan Port of the Router (Yellow port), My 24 port switch is connected to Ethernet Port 1 (I have tried several other ports with the same result).  My patch panel connects to the ports on the switch. All of my devices connect to the Patch Panel.

Neither Ethernet connections nor WiFi connections work through the Router.

Observation: The network port on the cable modem while connected to the router is solid amber on both LEDs.

What I have done. 

Power cycled the Router: No Change

Power cycled the Cable Modem, Router, and Switch: No Change.

Powered off the Router for several hours: No Change

Substituted a different router: I have connectivity for devices I have tested both Ehternet and WiFi

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: Red blinking ethernet light

Hm, doubt there is a red LED on the Ethernet (LAN) ports at all - only white and amber (probably created my a multi-colour LED) what makes it appear to redish.

Can you re-interate which Ethernet/LAN led is amber/(red)/blinking? There are many ... all the LAN and the WAN/Internet port LED can show this status.

Message 2 of 7
Phayt
Tutor

In my current configuration, I am using only one of the Lan ports since everything is connected to the switch.  Whichever Lan port I plug into becomes red.  Also when it first turns on even if I have nothing at all plugged into it, all of the ports briefly blink amber. I do not recall if that is normal during bootup or not.  I do not recall seeing anything except white lights during boot up.

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Hm, all Ethernet LAN ports briefly come on - but on white LEDs - while booting the R9000 when I remember right.

As nothing works (neither LAN nor WiFi) no other way to try than going through a factory reset process using the tiny reset button.

Message 4 of 7
gale_z
Aspirant

same issue here, can anybody help. been try to reset /factory reset. this isnt working.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 7
antinode
Guru

> Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router

Is that accurate?  Not an R6400v2?  Look at the product label.

> same issue here, [...]

"same" as what?  The original problem description, for much different
hardware, was never clear to me.  I'd suggest starting your own new
thread for your own (probably different) problem.  And include a clear
description of the LED behavior on your own router.

> [...] been try to reset [...]

How, exactly?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for
"reset".

> [...] this isnt working.

"isn[']t working" is not a useful problem description.  It does not
say what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As
usual, showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results
(error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@gale_z wrote:

same issue here, can anybody help. been try to reset /factory reset. this isnt working.

That's a little bit difficult - AFAIK the R6400 does only have white and amber LED on board - no red, no multi-colour.

Best guesss that you see an amber blinking LED port - this indicated an Ethernet link speed negotiated to 10 or 100 Mb/s with active traffic. Only Gigabit (1000 Mb/s) does show a whilte LED, also flashing when active.

The device connected is either a 10 or 100 Mb/s (Fast Ethernet) capable device only, or the cabling does not have four working pairs (eight strands) so Gigabit is not possible.

netgear_r6400_callouts_front.jpg

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E