Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Reduced internet bandwidth with R6400 Nighthawk and At&T BGW210-700

daytonal
Tutor

Reduced internet bandwidth with R6400 Nighthawk and At&T BGW210-700

I decided to make the swith and go with fiber optic internet through AT&T.  Intitially, I was running the 300mbs plan using at&t gateway (BGW210-700) and nighthawk R6400 router with no problems.  Internet speed check (LAN & 5g) was approximately 315 - 330 mbs.  With no change to hardware, the internet bandwidth was increased to 1Gbps.  However, internet speed check (LAN & 5g) was approximately 425-450 mbs.  First thought was maybe a bad connection via ethernet cable between gateway and router.  I plug laptop directly into gateway using the cable between gateway and router for internet speed check and was receiving 950 - 980 mbs.  I plugged laptop directly to the nighthawk router and was receving approximately 425-450 mbs.  So...not sure if its a router setting or its a gateway issue.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

1. is your router running in router mode or AP (access point) mode? ATT devices are known to not function properly in passthrough/modem only mode. many have to leave their att device in router mode and put the netgear in AP mode. 

2. did you or have you ran any traffic monitoring or qos? these features disable ctf (cut through fowarding) which is needed to hit gigabit speeds. I've read of devices having ctf left disabled even after disabling qos/traffic monitoring and a reboot. some have needed a full factory reset and manual re-install (not from backup). have you tried this?

3. What firmware is on the R6400? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. is your router running in router mode or AP (access point) mode? ATT devices are known to not function properly in passthrough/modem only mode. many have to leave their att device in router mode and put the netgear in AP mode. 

2. did you or have you ran any traffic monitoring or qos? these features disable ctf (cut through fowarding) which is needed to hit gigabit speeds. I've read of devices having ctf left disabled even after disabling qos/traffic monitoring and a reboot. some have needed a full factory reset and manual re-install (not from backup). have you tried this?

3. What firmware is on the R6400? 

Message 2 of 3
daytonal
Tutor

thanks for the assistance.  I changed the router mode to AP which resolved the LAN connection speed.  The internet speed test was clocking around 850-900 mbs.  Then I decided to do a factory reset on the router, left it in router mode and was still getting the LAN speed.  So maybe it was setting within the router causing the lower speeds.  The firmware is v1.0.1.52.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7