Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Region change?

lifequitin
Follower

Region change?

I bought R8000 from US during my travel and i want to use it within EU. Region setting can't be changed from admin interface and wireless performance is sluggish because of the low power compared to my home country. Is there any way to change region of this router other then US?
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi @porschaman,

The region is locked based on the place it was manufactured and also the firmware loaded on it. If you want  to change it, you may try loading a different firmware. Check the suppot site (Support.netgear.com).

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 23

All Replies
TANWare
Star

Mine is greyed out, even if changed I do not know if this then also changes power settings.
Message 2 of 23
Rizzed
Novice

I managed to unlock the option to select the other countries available. Mine was locked on to North America at first (greyed out, can't select), but i managed to unlock it.

If you need some instructions on how i did it, please tell me and i will post it. However, if you want to research on the instructions yourself, here are two things i did.

1) Telnet into router using telnetenable (MyOpenRouter - even though the website says it is only for the Netgear R7500 and Netgear R7000, it works for my Netgear R8000 too)

2) burnsku command to change the router's region to WW (world-wide)
Message 3 of 23
Rizzed
Novice

Just a heads up, i only have these regions on the list currently:
Asia
Australia
Canada
China
India
Korea
Malaysia
Mexico
Middle East (Saudi Arabia)
Singapore
South America
United States

If i right click on the box and inspect element, i could see other region's such as Africa, Europe, Israel, Japan, Russia and North America which has the line in front "Disabled". Editing the line makes the country appear in the list, but applying the setting results in the region resetting to "Select Region", which defaults as Europe (seen from the Advanced tab). Maybe this depends on where you bought it, maybe?

Lastly, running the command

wl -i eth1 txpwr1
wl -i eth2 txpwr1
wl -i eth3 txpwr1

returns this:

TxPower is 127 qdbm, 31.75 dbm, 1496 mW Override is Off

I think that this states the maximum transmit power available for this router, but is limited via the country settings. I need someone to help check out on this too.
Message 4 of 23
Rizzed
Novice

Sorry for posting so many replies, but i have found new information.

Using the burnsku command,

0x001 is for region NA
0x002 is for region WW
0x003 is for region GR
0x004 is for region PR
0x005 is for region RU
0x006 is for region BZ
0x007 is for region IN
0x008 is for region KO
0x009 is for region JP

This are all the available commands i have found which links to a region. FYI, the numbers 0x001, 0x002 is the command you type in the telnet to change the region (burnsku 0x001 etc.)
Message 5 of 23
Fairytail
Virtuoso

The reason why the region is greyed out because it is manufactured for the place where you purchase the unit. That is why there are different firmwares uploaded on NETGEAR's site for different region.
Message 6 of 23
Darshaannawab
Aspirant

My netgear router also has region grayed out, please help I'm from Asia
Message 7 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi @Darshaannawab,

Where did you purchase the unit?

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 8 of 23
porschaman
Aspirant

Please help! Recently purchased R6300v2 thru Amazon. The Genie's Region is locked on North America. Can you help me change it to Asia. Thank you all.   

Message 9 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi @porschaman,

The region is locked based on the place it was manufactured and also the firmware loaded on it. If you want  to change it, you may try loading a different firmware. Check the suppot site (Support.netgear.com).

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 10 of 23
porschaman
Aspirant

Thnx James. I'm not sure I follow you on the change firm ware thing. But I did contact live chat support last week, and they (call center! somewhere!!) could not provide answer?

Thanks anyway for trying to help.

TA 

Message 11 of 23
netwrks
Master

@porschaman wrote:

Thnx James. I'm not sure I follow you on the change firm ware thing. But I did contact live chat support last week, and they (call center! somewhere!!) could not provide answer?

Thanks anyway for trying to help.

TA 

The router runs on firmware. @JamesGL is suggesting reloading a fresh copy of the firmware, to see if the issue can be resolved.  Go to the Netgear_Support_Page click on networking icon locate the firmware, download to your desktop / laptop, and reload the firmware, When you have completed this step reset router to factory default (which you should have done in the first place as you did buy it used) and reconfigure the router.

Message 12 of 23
porschaman
Aspirant

Thnx for input. Purchased brand new via Amazon US site.  

Message 13 of 23
kyd-GH
Aspirant

Kindly give me the instructions to change my router region

Message 14 of 23
Cognizant1
Tutor

I live in IL and bought the Nighthawk r7000-100pas from Dell. (Don't offer 100nas) do I need to change anything and if so why don't they sell the North America version when most purchase in the USA? Thanks
Message 15 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi kyd-GH,

You can only change the region once you have loaded a firmware for specific region. You may visit support site for the firmwares.

support.netgear.com.

Hi Cognizant1,

What is the region on the router's UI? If it is not North America then you can load firmwares for North America.

Message 16 of 23
Carlinglabel
Aspirant

Hi

I left the router in box long ago, as all attempts failed to change region.

Ref yr recom to load new firmware, this has not worked also. 

Reason, the new router has the genie download latest firmware version in it, and it is exactly the same as the latest one avail on the netgear website, i.e. 1.0.4.2_10.0.74

So how downloading firmware version from netgear site, differ from what the Genie has updated on the router itself, same name and version!

Thanks anyway for trying and the moderator of netgear to eheelp.

Message 17 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi Carlinglabel,

What is the region on your router? Where did you purchased the router? Normally the country of purchase will be followed as the region of the router. If it is North America, then the region on the router should be North America.

Message 18 of 23
Carlinglabel
Aspirant

Hi

Region locked on NA region. Bought it from USA. Brand new. Residence Asia.

The amber light on ront of router stays amber, never seen green, cause its locked on NA, and I am not anywhere near NA 😞

Huge mistake to have ordered the US version, thought I would be saving few bucks, ended with useless device.  

Message 19 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi Carlinglabel,

Is the amber light the power light? If yes, firmware might be corrupted. Please check the KB article to recover the firmware.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22688/~/how-to-upload-firmware-to-a-netgear-router-usi...

Message 20 of 23
Carlinglabel
Aspirant

Hi james

Thanks. Both of the Power Light and Internet Lights LED are solid amber, not green or blinking or anyhting. Just solid amber. 

Message 21 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi Carlinglabel,

Possible hardware failure. Please try the link I have provided. If still did not work, you may need to replace your unit.

Message 22 of 23
Tutor

HI could you please send me the instruction to unlock the region
for my XR700

Regards,
Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 12 in conversation